People opinions on Norwegian Jade?

FSU Girl

You are restricted to one entree. Apps, sides and desserts are unlimited (although some servers apparently try to suggest that there is a limit).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! That’s a pretty good deal

So we booked the cruise woohoo! Since it’s for our honeymoon we splurged a little and went with the penthouse suite (not Haven) I’m really excited. We did the drinking and dining packages for the perks.

For dining does that open at 120 days with the excursions? And should I call to book those since we have this perk or can I do it online?

Dining opens at 120 days. Excursions can open at any time.

You can book your dining online

Thanks! I thought I had read that excursions had the 120 day date, so it could be a lot sooner than that? Do I need to be paid in full before I can start booking?

Excursions can be very random. I’ve seen them available over a year out on some cruises. On others just a few months. Sometimes they are available at different times for different ports on the same cruise.

There is no requirement to be fully paid before booking excursions.

Excursions can be very random. I’ve seen them available over a year out on some cruises. On others just a few months. Sometimes they are available at different times for different ports on the same cruise.

There is no requirement to be fully paid before booking excursions.

Interesting, that’s good to know. I’ll just keep checking periodically to see if they are released. Thanks!

I noticed when we booked we got $300 on board credit. Can this be applied towards the excursions we book or is it only something we purchase while on the ship?

They can be used to pay, but only once on the ship. I don't think you can use it to prebook, I might be wrong but At least that's how it has worked for us.

Thanks for your review! Since the bars seem to open later in the afternoon would you feel the drinking package would be wasted since you can’t get drinks easily earlier in the day? Thanks for the tip of where to eat outside that’ll be really helpful

Fairly certain there is nearly always a bar open somewhere on the ship. There are a number of bars

I read through the reviews on cruise critic and some are good and some are bad, but I always feel like those reviews can be extreme since people typically write those if something was really good or bad. I feel like on the forum you get more real responses

I’m thinking of going on the 11 day cruise from Rome to the Greek Isles. It only has one sea day so I suppose the ship won’t matter that much?

Its an amazing ship Full stop love it

I love the Jade. I sailed on her in January and have another trip planned for January 2019. The updates made the ship look bright and fresh. I agree with the poster about Spinnaker Lounge. I also enjoyed spending time on the promenade on deck seven. The Great Outdoors is a wonderful place to enjoy a meal alfresco.

Probably my only complaint is about access to Grand Pacific (the aft main dining room). I am disabled and you can only get t here via stairs or the aft elevators, so if you are on deck six midship and want to go to GP, you have to take the midship elevator up to seven, go to the aft elevators, and then go back down to six. Other than that, the ship is easily accessible. With rare exceptions, the crew was very pleasant and helpful.

Is Norwegian planning to get rid of them soon?

Not that we know of.

People have been suggesting that NCL are getting rid of the (older) Spirit for a few years now. However, it’s being refurbished next year and is available to book into 2020.

I’d be surprised if NCL get rid of any of the Jewel ships in the next 10 years.

Not that we know of.

People have been suggesting that NCL are getting rid of the (older) Spirit for a few years now. However, it’s being refurbished next year and is available to book into 2020.

I think cruise ships are supposed to last a really long time and this ship isn’t even as old as some other ones out there. It’s funny you mention Spirit I had thought of doing a cruise on her and like the ports better but it would be before she’s refurbished and had 5 sea days which was too long for me. But I think with good refurbishments cruises can last a long time

Got off the Jade at end of a Fjord cruise on 3rd Sept. There was no problem getting drinks on sea days -Spinnaker bar was doing a good trade and O Sheenans as well judging by the state on some from the USA and Germany who were seemed to have been "sampling" British beer. I tend to agree with the OP on most .

I love the Jewell class ships. We have our favorite cabin and book it every time. It is manageable in terms of size and also when disembarking at the private islands as long as we are the only ship in port it is much less crowded. That said there is a personality difference I think on the different ships. It might have to do with the people we sailed with or maybe it is always this way. The Pearl was very fun loving and upbeat. The Gem was very family oriented and the Jade was very refined and understated. Now I know people might have had different experiences but this was my experience.

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2018 at 3:19 PM, FSU Girl said:

I’ve never been on a cruise where you had to do something with your passport, what exactly is this? 

We just did an 11 day Canadian Maritime and New England cruise on the sister ship, Gem. We had a terrible customs/tendering into Bar Harbor ME. They had an illogical start to the itinerary - we left NYC, went to St John NS, THEN backtracked to Maine, where we had to clear US customs and tender. We were originally in the 3rd group scheduled to clear customs and tender (after the NCL morning excursions and the haven/platinum crowd) then they changed it to put in group 4 .... after the NCL AFTERNOON excursions. We didn’t set foot on the pier till 1130. 

It was a painfully long process on board to go through 4 lines to get off - 1 idk what for as they were just checking you had your passport 2 long snake line through Le Bistro and Magnolia to get through customs 3 - line to get tender ticket 4- line to get in tender.

I heard lots of complaints in the line and that night, found out people who told me were in group 8(!) go off right away by ignoring the schedule and process, overall worse tendering experience I’ve had, other than rough seas in Greenland. At a Q&A with senior staff, this came up and the Captain said he had no idea why HQ had schedule ME for 2nd stop.

That said we tendered another port in Canada and, without customs to deal with, it went pretty smooth, less than an hour between announcing start of tendering to feet on the ground.  However we also didn’t wait for our group to be called - fool me once...

Edited by ColdCruise
Typos legibility

On 8/29/2018 at 12:11 AM, KeithJenner said:

Not that we know of.

Hi Keith,

Do you know which month the Spirit is going to be refurbed?  Thanks.