Condition of Golden Princess

moki'smommy

Just returned from a B2B. More detailed report to follow. However, there was NOTHING wrong with the condition of the ship. I saw no ceiling leaks anywhere, no significant repair issues. There was much cleaning, re-varnishing etc. going on, particularly on port days. OK, our shower needed a little "tweaking" as it would suddenly go cold in the middle of use and our fold out couch should have been replaced some time ago, but that was it.

I read all the negatives here prior to cruising and saw nothing that they reported. I would not hesitate to cruise this ship again!

Most traveled passenger had 488 days on the first leg and over 800 on the second leg.

Edited by moki'smommy
  • Like 1

Glad to hear this. We were on the Golden right out of drydock this spring and there were leaks everywhere and many other problems like AC that didn't work, etc. I think they didn't have it in dry dock long enough, and some issues had to be worked on during that cruise. Good to hear they got all the issues taken care of! Thanks for the update.

Yes there always seems to be after dry dock issues. Glad they have gotten them taken care of. We were on end of April and the crew was busy taking care of things. We enjoyed our time on the Golden.

Just returned from a B2B. More detailed report to follow. However' date=' there was NOTHING wrong with the condition of the ship. I saw no ceiling leaks anywhere, no significant repair issues. There was much cleaning, re-varnishing etc. going on, particularly on port days. OK, our shower needed a little "tweaking" as it would suddenly go cold in the middle of use and our fold out couch should have been replaced some time ago, but that was it.

I read all the negatives here prior to cruising and saw nothing that they reported. I would not hesitate to cruise this ship again![/quote']

Thanks for the update.

Not really sure why they call it a library.:D it's combined with the computer room and is pretty small. A few chairs and it seems there are always a few who like to talk. We did find a number of paperbacks that others had left to share so not a bad thing. Definitely nothing like the Pacific Princess library.

As above, the library has 4 non-computer chairs, only 2 of which are near a table. It triples as a computer room and game room (there was a puzzle set up for people to work on). In addition, there are always people needing computer instruction. Thus, it is NOT a quiet reading room. The book selection provided by Princess is quite limited, at least to my choosing. However, there were several shelves of "exchange" books which had been left by previous guests which satisfied my needs. I try to hit the library on the first day when the selection is best. My suggestion--our local library has a table of donated books which are sold for under $1. I get a couple of those for the trip, and donate them to the library after I read them.

The IT guy was very friendly. I found that Skywalkers was a good place to read and watch the world go by when family was sleeping!

Just returned from a B2B. More detailed report to follow. However' date=' there was NOTHING wrong with the condition of the ship. I saw no ceiling leaks anywhere, no significant repair issues. There was much cleaning, re-varnishing etc. going on, particularly on port days. OK, our shower needed a little "tweaking" as it would suddenly go cold in the middle of use and our fold out couch should have been replaced some time ago, but that was it.

I read all the negatives here prior to cruising and saw nothing that they reported. I would not hesitate to cruise this ship again!

Most traveled passenger had 488 days on the first leg and over 800 on the second leg.[/quote']

Glad to hear that.

Was onboard in June - small leaks and odors here and there, nothing to be concerned or upset about. The ship is dated but very clean and inviting. It’s very warm feeling! My aunt and mom loved it, as they really enjoy the old timey elegance of Princess.

Skywalkers was a hot mess though, at least in early June. They were doing some work there and parts of the people mover were everywhere.

Skywalkers was a hot mess though, at least in early June. They were doing some work there and parts of the people mover were everywhere.

They must have finished their work. I spent a good amount of time in Skywalkers while reading and watching scenery-never saw any construction or equipment.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Recently returned from 29 day sailing L.A. to Sydney.  Leaks continue!  Multiple leaking reported

in the Princess theater deck 7 mid section. Several seats covered with plastic & blocked off.

Spent one evening paying more attention to the water pouring down than watching the show.

They finally seemed to get things under control close to the end of our cruise.

7 minutes ago, skennedy25 said:

They may not be putting alot of "extra" money into it since Golden is leaving the fleet in 2020

They just spent $$$$$ on dry dock this past spring.

My sister was on the ship in September and didn't see any leaks.

Edited by Coral

4 minutes ago, skennedy25 said:

then I guess that job wasn't done correctly

Both the Sapphire and Golden went to dry dock around the same time at the same ship yard. The Sapphire looks amazing. Awhile back, someone made the comment that the construction workers may have caused the leaking problems when drilling as no one complained about water leaks before March/April time frame.

I specifically didn't tell my sister about the issues. She had booked the ship a year ago. When I asked her what she thought (her only experience with Princess was the Royal Princess), her response after sailing in September was "I can tell it is an older ship but it was well maintained". I asked if she saw any leaks and she said "no" and was surprised I asked.

We disembarked the Golden on 10/22 after a 28 day cruise.  We were aft on Caribe deck.  One day there was some water running from the ceiling down both walls a few cabins aft or ours but the issue was quickly corrected.  There was also a leak from the ceiling in the Princess Theater that impacted about six seats for several days.  The most significant leak was on Fiesta deck outside of the corridor used to access the window suites.  It would come and go, but it seemed there was a fan in the main corridor in that area more often than not throughout the cruise.

The second aft elevator used to access the aft MDR and Skywalkers was repaired with parts apparently delivered in Honolulu.  Throughout the cruise, each of the three elevator banks would occasionally have one elevator out of service for a while but it was not always the same one.

Other than the above which had little impact on our cruise, we had no issues with the condition of the Golden and even though we had TD in the aft MDR, those issues had little impact on our 28 days on the Golden.

• 2 months later...

We were on the Golden last summer to Alaska. Sure there were leaks, and the ship looked a little tired, but we booked to go again this year, so things were not that bad.

It seems many people are concerned, and thus Golden seems to sail at a discount to some of the other Princess ships.

It may bother some people, but I was fine with it, and I don't think my kids even noticed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Can you recall what time Traditional Dining was please ?

I received an E-mail a few months after booking that traditional dining times on the ship had  been changed. If I remember correctly it wad moved earlier to 5pm or 7:15pm. We switched to anytime dinning and never had a wait. Table for 2 always accommodated.