charging for wheelchair transfers

mainmast

Is it fair that some airlines and cruise companies charge for wheelchair transfers? Before you answer this think about if you were stuck in one full time

What lines charge for wheelchair transfer.

Never heard of it nor been charged one,

Royal Caribbean on some cruises. Jet2 when booking a package holiday. With RC it is known as Wheel Chair Adapted Vehicles. I would love to go on a coach but they aren't always suitable to carry a electric wheelchair

Is it fair that some airlines and cruise companies charge for wheelchair transfers? Before you answer this think about if you were stuck in one full time

if they charge for transfers for able bodied people then there is no reason why those of us in wheelchairs shouldn't also be charged. and quite frankly, if you require a special vehicle( lift van etc) then its even more fair to be charged.

I see you are from the UK, so my question is, what do the laws of the UK say about charging for wheelchair transfers? If your laws allow it, then there isn't anything really to say.

I agree but it should be the same price for all so if it is free transfers it should free for all

I don't think you being charged because you are in a wheelchair. You are being charged because you are using an electric wheelchair. Would you have to pay for the transfer if you were using a manual standard wheelchair?

In the US, if a charge is made for an able-bodied person, the company can charge the exact same amount for a wheelchair user. If they offer free transfer for an able-bodied person, they must offer a free transfer for a wheelchair user.

If you are cruising in a different country, they follow the law for that country.

An example: Dad signed up to take the cruise line bus from Ft Lauderdale airport to the cruise port. I paid the transfer fee of $30. Most people got on a large bus, but Dad was in a van adapted for his wheelchair. They charged the same for both of us, even though his actual transfer was more expensive to the cruiseline because that is the law.

If we were to want to take an excursion in Mexico, and the normal company providing the excursion didn't offer an accessible van, but they could order one for an additional cost, we'd have to pay that additional cost because the law where we were in port allows them to charge what they are charged.

So, it all depends on where you were when you were charged extra, or what the law is under which you made the reservation, depending on where it happened.

I agree but it should be the same price for all so if it is free transfers it should free for all

not if you require a non standard transfer, such as a lift van. they have to now pay someone to pick you up and transport you as opposed to just using the bus that is already scheduled. it is costing them extra in terms of manpower and resources to provide you with an accommodation. no different than booking a private ride as opposed to a ride share