Binoculars

Just curious, how many cruisers take a pair of binoculars on their trip? I had some Cabela's gift certs burning a hole in my pocket so I just ordered a pair of Steiner compact binoc's for our first cruise coming up soon. I've been wanting a pair of quality compacts and didn't want to take my full size binoculars, so the cruise is a good excuse to get them:) I'm thinking it will be nice to have them for seeing things from the balcony, etc. and a compact pair won't take up much space or weight in my carry-on.

Absolutely! Combined with a balcony can provide hours of entertainment!

I particularly like to look at ships we are passing at a distance. It always amazes me just how much traffic there can be in the wide open sea.

bobj

I bought some the first time we went to Alaska and since, have never sailed without them. They're great for looking at the landscape as we come into port, viewing port scenes, ships passing us on the ocean, and ships following us.

Garry

Also bought a pair for our Alaska cruise. Have taken them on all cruises since for the same reasons as everyone else has stated. Not much to add to previous comments.

It's just a lot of fun to be at sea and barely see ships in a distance and then looking at them with binoculars, you can usually see what cruise line and lots of times the name of the ship.

Tim

I usually take along a 4X monocular. It fits real nice in a fanny pack. Hey Seatravelers where did you buy in St. Thomas and was it a good deal? I would love to get some Zeis compact bino's but the cost is a bit out of budget buying in the states.

K9guy,

I'd loved to have ordered Zeiss too, but as you said they're so expensive. I'm hoping when the Steiners show up this week I'll be pleased. Supposed to still be good European glass, phase coated, etc etc. I ordered the 8X24 roof prisms for 199.00 from Cabelas. I'll try and remember to post a review of them on this thread when they arrive.

If you want to shop for binoculars and other optics, the best prices I usually find are at these two sites:

www.bearbasin.com

www.riflescopes.com

bouhunter, thanks for the links. I was familar with riflescopes. I wonder how much you can save by buying in St. Martin or St. Thomas? I guess I will start doing some pricing and homework, and check it out when I get to port in February.

Just curious, how many cruisers take a pair of binoculars on their trip? I had some Cabela's gift certs burning a hole in my pocket so I just ordered a pair of Steiner compact binoc's for our first cruise coming up soon. I've been wanting a pair of quality compacts and didn't want to take my full size binoculars, so the cruise is a good excuse to get them:) I'm thinking it will be nice to have them for seeing things from the balcony, etc. and a compact pair won't take up much space or weight in my carry-on.

Absolutely take them. We never sail without ours.

I took mine on our cruise (Eastern Caribbean- Navigator of the Seas) and had problems with them fogging up when we took them from the cabin to the balcony. It took a few minutes to clear up. Not a big problem and I will take them on our next cruise.

We take ours whenever we cruise or go to the beach! Great for watching ships passing by or things floating in the water! Once passed by a very small dot of land with a statue of some kind--(never found out exactly what it was!) and several other passenger's asked if they could take a peek!

We take ours whenever we cruise or go to the beach! Great for watching ships passing by or things floating in the water! Once passed by a very small dot of land with a statue of some kind--(never found out exactly what it was!) and several other passenger's asked if they could take a peek!

Well there's a good reason to bring a GPS receiver too! Even if you don't have a chart or map on it, you could have saved the lat/long and found out what it was when you got home! :)

Theron

I particularly like to look at ships we are passing at a distance. It always amazes me just how much traffic there can be in the wide open sea.

Don't forget that there are well established shipping lanes, so it's not entirely random when you see passing ships. There are also vast areas of ocean where you don't see much at all. But then, you wouldn't be there to not see anything, since... well you know... ;)

Theron

CruisinMike, thank you so much for a good belly laugh this evening!! That was hysterical. A permanent fixture on your head....too funny.

We always take ours. Just a warning (from past experience), don't leave them on the window ledge. Last cruise, we were using them the last afternoon and set them on the window ledge before dinner. Room steward came in to turn down bed, close curtains, etc. Completely forgot they were there while packing that night as they were now behind the curtains. Walked out and left them the next morning. Called RCCL when we got home to no avail. Never showed up in lost and found (big surprise!). Replaced them through ebay. Losing the actual binoculars was not as dissapointing as the case that came with them as it was the hard sided case that is hard to find now. Oh well, live and learn.:rolleyes:

I took mine on our cruise (Eastern Caribbean- Navigator of the Seas) and had problems with them fogging up when we took them from the cabin to the balcony. It took a few minutes to clear up. Not a big problem and I will take them on our next cruise.

Oh, by the way, this happens because the temperature inside your cabin (and therefore the lens of the binoculars) is usually a bit below the dew point of the humid tropical air. It's a big problem for cameras, since the fog will also obscure any photos you may want to take in a hurry.

About all you can do (aside from leaving your lenses outside on the balcony!) is to keep your binocular/camera well insulated, and stored in some place that is out of direct air flow from the A/C, perhaps in the closet. Even so, there still may be some time for condensation to evaporate.

Theron

Archived