Refund on Amex

About a month ago I booked specialty dining reservations for our cruise in November on the Konigsdam. We have done this in the past and have always gotten a refund for our 3* Mariner status a few days after each dining event. We booked Sel de Mer, Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto. The charge was $100 and there was no charge for Sel de Mer, and I assume that’s because it’s AlaCarte.

Last week I was looking at my Amex statement and there was a $100 refund from HAL on the statement. Odd I thought, so I called Amex and they had no way to know why, because HAL had issued the credit. I called ship services to see if they could help and they had no idea why the credit was issued either. I was able to give them the reference numbers for both transactions, and that was forwarded to HAL accounting to be investigated. So far I have not heard back. The reservations are still reflected on my itinerary as of this morning and ship’s services had confirmed them as such. My principal concern was that we would lose our reservations.

Some people have mentioned they have had some difficulty getting proper credit for their Mariner status on some pre paid reservations. It made me wonder if there has been some change in HAL procedures. For example you can book and hold reservations but the actual payment would not occur until onboard and the correct price for a given Mariner status would be applied? Most likely wishful thinking on my part.

When this does sort itself out, I give a holler back as to the reason why.

About a month ago I booked specialty dining reservations for our cruise in November on the Konigsdam. We have done this in the past and have always gotten a refund for our 3* Mariner status a few days after each dining event. We booked Sel de Mer, Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto. The charge was $100 and there was no charge for Sel de Mer, and I assume that’s because it’s AlaCarte.

Last week I was looking at my Amex statement and there was a $100 refund from HAL on the statement. Odd I thought, so I called Amex and they had no way to know why, because HAL had issued the credit. I called ship services to see if they could help and they had no idea why the credit was issued either. I was able to give them the reference numbers for both transactions, and that was forwarded to HAL accounting to be investigated. So far I have not heard back. The reservations are still reflected on my itinerary as of this morning and ship’s services had confirmed them as such. My principal concern was that we would lose our reservations.

Some people have mentioned they have had some difficulty getting proper credit for their Mariner status on some pre paid reservations. It made me wonder if there has been some change in HAL procedures. For example you can book and hold reservations but the actual payment would not occur until onboard and the correct price for a given Mariner status would be applied? Most likely wishful thinking on my part.

When this does sort itself out, I give a holler back as to the reason why.

Very interesting! I, too, got a $100 credit on my AmEx statement this month. I've assumed that it was a credit for booking $500 in OBC earlier this year...….. There was some sort of special earlier this year where if you charged at least $500 to HAL on an AmEx card (and I think it really meant on a new cruise booking), you would receive a $100 credit on your card. Nothing showed up on my statement and I thought maybe it was because I'd booked OBC and not an actual cruise (the cruise had already been booked). Oh, well, I figured it wouldn't go to waste. Fast forward several months, and I see the $100 credit now. I was quite happy to see it and just figured it was a much delayed credit. I'll try to come back and let you know if I find anything else out, but for now, I'm inclined to let sleeping dogs lie!

Best wishes, safe travels!

Very interesting! I, too, got a $100 credit on my AmEx statement this month. I've assumed that it was a credit for booking $500 in OBC earlier this year...….. There was some sort of special earlier this year where if you charged at least $500 to HAL on an AmEx card (and I think it really meant on a new cruise booking), you would receive a $100 credit on your card. Nothing showed up on my statement and I thought maybe it was because I'd booked OBC and not an actual cruise (the cruise had already been booked). Oh, well, I figured it wouldn't go to waste. Fast forward several months, and I see the $100 credit now. I was quite happy to see it and just figured it was a much delayed credit. I'll try to come back and let you know if I find anything else out, but for now, I'm inclined to let sleeping dogs lie!

Best wishes, safe travels!

Well thank you for that! We also were on a HAL cruise in April but paid for it with a different card that provides cancellation protection. However, I did purchase shorexs, dining and a few other things pre cruise with the Amex card, so perhaps that explains it! If I hear anything further, I’ll follow up! Thanks again.

AMEX periodically has a $100 credit offer for those who book any of several cruise lines (including HAL and Princess) on their AMEX card. We have often taken advantage of this special offer.

Hank

I am hoping that they run this offer again soon!

The poster(s) above must have clicked to upload this from the offers on their card???

It should only be available to be 'used' once uploaded.

then, yes, it would be automatic upon any valid 500.00 purchase.

And a valid purchase includes OBC. We got that credit for buying $500 OBC on our summer HAL cruise.