Norwegian Escape - Best Restaurant to Celebrate a Birthday in

Jacaluke

We are cruising on a 12 night Southern Caribbean itinerary on the Escape leaving NYC on the 9th of December. A member of our group will be turning 50 while on the cruise and I wanted to book one of the restaurants on the night of her birthday - just wondering if anybody can suggest which restaurant would be best??? There are 6 in our group and we will be sailing out of St Thomas that day at 5pm.

All complementary restaurants including the specialty restaurants are fine. It depends on if everyone want to spend extra monies to go to a specialty restaurant to celebrate if not using any dining vouchers or does not have the dining package perk. And what everyone want to eat. If celebrating at the main dining room, it would be fine too.

What does the guest of honor like? Cagney's is a stake place. That is great if you like steak. However not the best option for a non-meat eater.

There is also a French venue that is a bit more formal.

In addition to the restaurant choice, let NCL know your are celebrating a birthday. They will get a cake made for the celebration. You will get a certificate for the cake that you bring to whatever place you are celebrating at. Share with the host/hostess when you arrive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For a free option the Manhattan room is nice. I am not sure if the tables for six are located in the front but those tables have great views of the sea, show and for a cruise ship have a decent amount of space between them.

Outdoor is of course also great.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody - we are all steak fans so I'm sure Cagney's would be loved by everybody. Manhattan sounds good also. 4 of us have the Specialty Dining Package - it is only our 2 daughters who don't have it. I have already booked La Cucina online through my NCL but hope I can change it.

I will be sailing on the same cruise and celebrating my birthday also. We are planning on dining at Cagney's.

Last year we were on the BA for my birthday and my wife told them ahead of time and they had a birthday cake for me. That was a nice surprise.

Have a great cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing to know about the Manhattan room is there is usually live entertainment and a floor for dancing. So it is a great choice for more of a birthday party.

You may also have the option to dine at Cagney's as planned then move to the Manhattan Room to redeem your cake certificate and enjoy the entertainment if there is still something planned for 9pm or so.

Happy 50th, I had a surprise party and all in attendance, from 5 to 85 found the energy to dance and that is one of my best memories of the evening.

By the way I've been reading that they now take photos at dinner and want you to make a decision on if and which to purchase. Keep that in mind for your budget planning. Others can comment on whether that photo could be a part of a photo package, but for some reason I think I've read they are not. I have not been on a ship this year so cannot share any first hand experience with the process. As a solo traveler I rarely pose for photos. but on our upcoming family cruise my mother will insist so I may just buy her a photo package as a Christmas gift to use on our spring break cruise.

My sarcastic answer would be 5'oclock somewhere Bar.... Other than that i agree with the post below. Teppanyaki for fun, or Cagneys for a nice steak.

I liked Teppanyaki best. cagneys would be great for a 50th if y'all are steak fans.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

One thing to know about the Manhattan room is there is usually live entertainment and a floor for dancing. So it is a great choice for more of a birthday party.

You may also have the option to dine at Cagney's as planned then move to the Manhattan Room to redeem your cake certificate and enjoy the entertainment if there is still something planned for 9pm or so.

Happy 50th, I had a surprise party and all in attendance, from 5 to 85 found the energy to dance and that is one of my best memories of the evening.

By the way I've been reading that they now take photos at dinner and want you to make a decision on if and which to purchase. Keep that in mind for your budget planning. Others can comment on whether that photo could be a part of a photo package, but for some reason I think I've read they are not. I have not been on a ship this year so cannot share any first hand experience with the process. As a solo traveler I rarely pose for photos. but on our upcoming family cruise my mother will insist so I may just buy her a photo package as a Christmas gift to use on our spring break cruise.

We had the photo package last year as a freebie on our Escape honeymoon and the dinner pictures were included. All of the pictures we took, including the "walk the plank" ones were included. Same on our 2017 Getaway cruise where we paid for the photo package.

As far as the original question, I agree that it depends on the taste of the birthday person. Cagney's is a great choice, I'm sure you'll love it! Bayamo was personally my favorite restaurant. Moderno was great, too. And, honestly, I really, really loved the Manhattan Room,too. On our last cruise, I actually just skipped lunch every day and then had one MDR dinner and one specialty dinner every sea day. Crazy, I know, but so worth it instead of ordering from the same basic lunch menu every day.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that as long as you are a Chowhound, you'll love any restaurant on the Escape! :)

Sent from my moto x4 using Forums mobile app

It rarely happens, as I am usually a comfortable solo traveler, but I am envious of you with family to help celebrate your b'day. I am on Dawn in November for mine but as it is Day 2 cruise day, I am not about to make note of it at the M&G in order to celebrate with 67 fellow strangers. A little too introverted for that. I'll decide between Bamboo and Los Lobos, I think.

Early Happy Birthday to you December babies.