Late Arrival for Check-in

I am sailing on the Quebec-to-Ft. Lauderdale cruise in October which overnights in Quebec before setting sail at 5:00 p.m. on the day after boarding. Although I will be in Quebec City two days early to see the city, my cabinmate won't be arriving until later on a 3:30 p.m. flight from London. The cruise documents state that anyone arriving after 4:30 p.m. will be denied boarding. Can some of the more knowledgeable folks on this board advise who I contact at RCI to insure that there is no problem with the late arrival?

Could you clarify please? You board the ship and over night etc the ship then set sail the following day?

Or your friend lands in Québec and 90 min later your cruise ship leaves? Will your friend clear Canadian passport control at a previous connection. If not I don't think they will be out of the airport 90 mins.

Did they buy their flights through the cruise line?

I also think you should re-read your embarkation information as all abord on day of departure is typically 1.30 hr to 2 hr. The 30 mins is for normal port days.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

I am sailing on the Quebec-to-Ft. Lauderdale cruise in October which overnights in Quebec before setting sail at 5:00 p.m. on the day after boarding. Although I will be in Quebec City two days early to see the city, my cabinmate won't be arriving until later on a 3:30 p.m. flight from London. The cruise documents state that anyone arriving after 4:30 p.m. will be denied boarding. Can some of the more knowledgeable folks on this board advise who I contact at RCI to insure that there is no problem with the late arrival?

It's pretty simple, if your friend arrives after 4:30pm, they cannot go on the cruise. These times are generally set by the government of the country from which the ship is departing, not some cruise line whim.

I'd be looking to change to an earlier flight, or better yet, a flight the day before.

Not so simple. Flight arrives on the 8th. Boarding is on the 8th. Ship overnights in Quebec City and does not depart until 5 p.m. on the 9th.

Seems strange then that they wouldn't let people board on the 9th.

If the ship doesn't leave until the next day I am not sure why your friend couldn't check in late, unless it is the port staff finish at 5pm and won't be there to check them in.

I missed my cruise once due to bad weather and airport delays, I was able to check in at the next port.

Why don't you call customer service and see what they say?

If the ship doesn't leave until the next day I am not sure why your friend couldn't check in late, unless it is the port staff finish at 5pm and won't be there to check them in.

I missed my cruise once due to bad weather and airport delays, I was able to check in at the next port.

Why don't you call customer service and see what they say?

The regular folks who staff the phones are trained to sell cruises and shore excursions. I'm looking for someone with in-depth information about the process of check-in in this unusual situation. I fear I will get glib assurances from the first line phone rep.

The regular folks who staff the phones are trained to sell cruises and shore excursions. I'm looking for someone with in-depth information about the process of check-in in this unusual situation. I fear I will get glib assurances from the first line phone rep.

So, a cruise board, is better than calling the cruise line? I don't think anyone can give you that answer on this board. Number one, if you land at 3:30 the person will not make it by 4:30. Impossible. Can they board late, like the next day? You need to ask the cruise line, and get a confirmation. There is a different set up for checking in, than there is for getting on and off the ship. They may or may not allow it. Tell you friends to rebook the flight.

Unless your friends are granted permission by RCCL to arrive late, actual boarding is the day specified. They need to get permission to arrive later. If permission is granted then they will need to carry on their own luggage and check in with Guest Relations to get their Sea pass card. They close boarding usually 90 minutes before sailing however if overnight, they will still close boarding at at certain time. We left from Quebec & were overnight so we could come & go once we boarded but had to check in the day before.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Let's see, port people checking you in are NOT RCI employees, they are employees of the port and the port charges RCI for their services.

So check in goes until 4:30PM, and those people GO HOME, the final manifest has been completed and transmitted to the immigration authorities. And they do not come back the next day, as everyone checked in the day before and RCI is not paying for check in services that day.

Let's see, port people checking you in are NOT RCI employees, they are employees of the port and the port charges RCI for their services.

So check in goes until 4:30PM, and those people GO HOME, the final manifest has been completed and transmitted to the immigration authorities. And they do not come back the next day, as everyone checked in the day before and RCI is not paying for check in services that day.

Why do you think the final manifest would be transmitted to the immigration authorities more then 24 hrs before departure? I'm sure an exception can be made (for a Fee), the OP has to call RCI and find out.

Why do you think the final manifest would be transmitted to the immigration authorities more then 24 hrs before departure? I'm sure an exception can be made (for a Fee), the OP has to call RCI and find out.

I would agree HOWEVER as some others have mentioned the check in workers might not be there for Day 2.

Exceptions can't always be made.

I would agree HOWEVER as some others have mentioned the check in workers might not be there for Day 2.

Exceptions can't always be made.

On cruises that overnight I have seen folks be checked in by the front desk staff. If fact on "X" I personally experienced it.

On cruises that overnight I have seen folks be checked in by the front desk staff. If fact on "X" I personally experienced it.

On the first night? Could it be port specific regulations for the manifest? There has to be some sort of explanation. Just wonder what it is

I understand completely what the question the OP has and am surprised some of you aren't.

I'm on that sailing also. The concern is that a lot of the flights (just looking at flights this year as they are not open for our time frame yet) into Quebec City arriving that Monday Oct 7, 2019 don't arrive until after 4:30pm.

Our ship Adventure the 13 night snowbird migration itinerary over nights there on that Monday the 7th and doesn't sail until Tuesday October 8th.

We have heard through our roll call that you will not be able to checkin/board the ship if arriving after 4:40pm on Monday the 7th.

We just returned from a Celebrity cruise that did a similar first overnight in Dublin and many were able to check in/board late into the evening. If past a certain arrival time you could checkin at guest services...boarding with your SetSail Pass ....Certainly RCI could arrange this.

What we are hoping for is this kind of consideration to be allowed to checkin as we arrive.

The OP and many of us are just asking for experiences you all may have had with RCI in this situation.

Thanks for any insight or experience you may be able to share.

I don't think you're understanding the question and specifics of this itinerary.

NOT everyone will have checked in on the first day...Some won't be checking in until the second day...and yes terminal workers will be there the second day...Read the OP's question again !

Thank you to everyone trying to help. I think we've all had conflicting information from folks over the phone at RCI and what I really need is get an authoritative ruling (and something in writing) so we don't have a disappointed (and rather upset) passenger standing on the dock with luggage on October 8th. Being told to get a hotel room and come back in the morning isn't going to go down very well either, after having paid to spend the night on the Adventure.

Maybe because it has not happened yet!:confused: AD, Overnighting in Quebec.

Well certainly RCI has overnighted "somewhere" :confused::confused:

Maybe that would give us an idea of possible handling of this type of itinerary.

Well certainly RCI has overnighted "somewhere" :confused::confused:

Maybe that would give us an idea of possible handling of this type of itinerary.

You also know that RCI can do something one week and then completely different the next. The OP must get this taken care of before boarding. Personally I don't think late check in will be a problem as I have done It on Celebrity w/o a problem.

Maybe because you will miss the mandatory muster drill they will not allow late embarkation?

Unless you get it in writing from RCI that they will allow you to arrive late, I would assume you wont be allowed on if you are past the cutoff time.