Booking kids in a separate cabin

There was a recent post & article about a 13 year old boy on a cruise that was sexually assaulted at 2 or 3 am by 2 adult males. Because the parents were out drinking and the 13 year old was out walking around.

Did you notice the age of the 13 year old boy that was sexually assaulted by 2 adult males?

yup one in over 20 million that cruise every year, better chance of this happening at church, school, or your neighborhood then on a ship

Its not like its two toddlers in a room by themselves, they will be 16 and 13 so i think they can handle themselves. I think he has more of a chance of getting in a car accident these days than something happening in the room beside us. So you should probably avoid the Epic thanksgiving week cruise this year because our kids will be staying in the other room. Very scary...

right on, perfectly said

I guess your kids are not as well behaved or disiplined as mine, never had an issue with them being in separate hotel rooms as well as cabins in a ship, they have been doing this since they were 12 and 15 - never even a hint of an issue as they know exactly what would happen to them if they did something

My kids are perfectly fine, the problem with having underage kids in a separate room / cabin is the parents are the first ones to scream bloody murder if something happen. End of the day their is a reason why NCL along with other companies have these rules in place.

Norwegian Cruise Lines policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a guest 21 years of age or older

I realize plenty of people bend / break the policy.....is it right? Thats on you if something were to happen to them

My kids are perfectly fine, the problem with having underage kids in a separate room / cabin is the parents are the first ones to scream bloody murder if something happen. End of the day their is a reason why NCL along with other companies have these rules in place.

Norwegian Cruise Lines policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a guest 21 years of age or older

I realize plenty of people bend / break the policy.....is it right? Thats on you if something were to happen to them

absolutely, I understand the rules, they need to cover their asses

There was a recent post & article about a 13 year old boy on a cruise that was sexually assaulted at 2 or 3 am by 2 adult males. Because the parents were out drinking and the 13 year old was out walking around.

Did you notice the age of the 13 year old boy that was sexually assaulted by 2 adult males?

Sorry but if the issue was that the parents were out drinking it makes no difference what cabin the boy slept in. The parents would have still have been out.

Also you quote one case of this happening. There are 20,000,000 cruise passengers each year. This makes 1 to 20 million. The child has more chance of dieing in car crash.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

What promos are you planning to get if you're able to book the children in their own cabin? Is booking an adult in each cabin going to have a major financial impact?

The kids would rather have WIFI, but thats not the main reason we would like the kids booked in the cabin they are actually staying in, its more around the key issues. We cruised 2 weeks ago on Oasis of the seas so this is fresh in our heads. One adult 1 child booked in each room. Same config, side by side balcony cabins. Got on the ship, went to the pursers desk to get everyone a second key to we could get into both rooms. So far so good. Got the rooms, none of the second keys worked. Back to pursers desk, new keys, 2 of the 4 worked. another trip, ok all 4 now work. For a day... One stopped working the next day, the others stopped throughout the week. I would guess about 7-10 trips to the pursers desk to get fixed. by about mid week, we just used the open balcony partition to get between the cabins. Luckily the room steward was able to open the partition.

Now i understand that this was probably worse on Oasis for whatever reason, but i remember several trips to the pursers desk on other cruises with the same issue.

Is it just me, or isn’t it obvious why they wouldn’t allow 2 minors in a cabin alone (officially) ? I see NCL’s point here...
No, it is not just you. I believe the reason for the policy and the letter in the cabins is for liability reasons; if something were to happen to the minors while sleeping in their own cabin, NCL would not be held accountable legally.

The kids would rather have WIFI, but thats not the main reason we would like the kids booked in the cabin they are actually staying in, its more around the key issues. We cruised 2 weeks ago on Oasis of the seas so this is fresh in our heads. One adult 1 child booked in each room. Same config, side by side balcony cabins. Got on the ship, went to the pursers desk to get everyone a second key to we could get into both rooms. So far so good. Got the rooms, none of the second keys worked. Back to pursers desk, new keys, 2 of the 4 worked. another trip, ok all 4 now work. For a day... One stopped working the next day, the others stopped throughout the week. I would guess about 7-10 trips to the pursers desk to get fixed. by about mid week, we just used the open balcony partition to get between the cabins. Luckily the room steward was able to open the partition.

Now i understand that this was probably worse on Oasis for whatever reason, but i remember several trips to the pursers desk on other cruises with the same issue.

I understand your trepidation after such a bad experience with spare keys. Even Haven stateroom keys don't always work and need to be replaced after a day, sometimes. I doubt that there will be a problem like you experienced previously.

However, it is unlikely that the balcony dividers will be opened for you. It is technically against NCL policy for them to be opened for guest enjoyment/convenience. There are some room stewards who will do it or look the other way if someone else does it but the dividers being opened isn't allowed on NCL. The reasons are complicated and the policy has also changed over the years (why some have had success and others have not) but I wouldn't go in with the expectation of them being opened.

I’ve booked 4 cruises with our large family, that 21 age written is to cover NCL legally. Every single time the PCC assures me that they don’t care where the kids sleep, it’s just for legal reasons, and to go to guest services and get extra cards made up.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but i need to get a quick answer. We are booking 2 cabins on NCL Epic over thanksgiving and would like to book the adults in one cabin and the kids, 2 ages 15 and 12, in the other. They are side by side balconies and i could swear we did this on the last NCL cruise, but our travel agent is telling us that we have to book 1 adult in each cabin. I would rather book the adults and kids in the the cabins they are actually going to be staying in because it makes dealing with the keys, drink package, etc much easier.

is this still possible on NCL?

thx

On the ncl.com webpage, under "Get ready for your cruise/FAQ" it actually states that children under the age of 21 (or 18 depending on the itinerary and nationality) can be registered alone in the cabin next door to their parents or guardians but not opposite:

Quote: "Company policy states that on itineraries that include a port in the United States of America, Canada or China guests under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom by a guest who is 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation (staterooms opposite of each other are not applicable under this policy). For all other cruises this regulation applies to all guests under 18 years of age with the exception of guests who are citizens of the United States of America, Canada or China." End of quote.

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/faq#requirements

I concur. This seems so logical to me.

Sorry but if the issue was that the parents were out drinking it makes no difference what cabin the boy slept in. The parents would have still have been out.

Also you quote one case of this happening. There are 20,000,000 cruise passengers each year. This makes 1 to 20 million. The child has more chance of dieing in car crash.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

That is NOT the only case of something happening to a child on a cruise ship. That is just the only one I mentioned. ]

NCL employee was arrested for molesting a young girl while she was sleeping in her cabin. I think it was last year.

On the ncl.com webpage, under "Get ready for your cruise/FAQ" it actually states that children under the age of 21 (or 18 depending on the itinerary and nationality) can be registered alone in the cabin next door to their parents or guardians but not opposite:

Quote: "Company policy states that on itineraries that include a port in the United States of America, Canada or China guests under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom by a guest who is 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation (staterooms opposite of each other are not applicable under this policy). For all other cruises this regulation applies to all guests under 18 years of age with the exception of guests who are citizens of the United States of America, Canada or China." End of quote.

https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/faq#requirements

When I pull it up on the US site, I get something totally different:

What are Norwegian Cruise Line's Age Requirements?

Age Requirements for Travel

Note: These terms are effective at the time of boarding.

Traveling with Infants:

• At least six (6) months of age on the day of boarding
  • At least twelve (12) months of age on the day of boarding if your cruise has 3 or more consecutive days at sea.

Traveling with Minors and Young Adults:

Norwegian Cruise Line's policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or connecting stateroom) by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding.

• Minors – an individual under the age of 18 on the day of embarkation/boarding.
  • Young Adult– an individual between the ages of 18 and 20.

Note: Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom if they are a married couple and provide proof of marriage to a Norwegian Cruise Line representative at the pier prior to boarding.

Traveling with Minors Unaccompanied by Parent or Legal Guardian*:

For passengers under the age of 18 traveling with an accompanying adult, who is not the minor's parent or legal guardian, a Parent/Guardian Consent Form that authorizes the minor's travel and further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency must be delivered to a Norwegian representative at the pier during check-in. Failure to produce this letter at embarkation may result in boarding being denied. Both living parents/legal guardians must sign and complete this form and attach a copy of his/her driver's license or other government issued identification. Minors of the same parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may be listed on the same form:

• 2) Copy of both parents/legal guardians Driver’s License or other Government Issued IDAdoptive parents, legal guardians or persons separated or divorced are advised to keep legal and other relevant documents available in order to clarify custody rights.

*If travelling to Canada, you’ll the following document in addition to items #1 and 2 (Alaska, Pacific Coastal, and Canada/New England Itineraries):

Canadian entry requirements stipulate that a child under the age of 18 traveling alone, or with person(s) other than both parents, should be in possession of a letter (preferably notarized) from the parents or legal guardian containing:

• Authorization for the child to travel with another person and to be outside the country;
  • The name and a 24-hour contact telephone number of the parents or guardian;
  • The destination and length of stay in Canada.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#age-requirements

I seem to remember that at one time a child under 21 could occupy a cabin by themselves if next door or in a connecting cabin, but I believe that was changed some years ago.

When I pull it up on the US site, I get something totally different:

The website has many conflicting things...

The "...under 21..." policy changes depending on what part of the NCL website is being referenced.

Norwegian Cruise Lines policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding. (in the FAQ section) - LINK

...and I also found...

Norwegian Cruise Line’s policy dictates that a minor or young adult must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or connecting stateroom) by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding. (in the Required Travel Documentation section) - LINK

...and the Guest Ticket Contract has...

© Guests under 21: Any Guest under 21 years of age is considered a minor. Any Guest under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom by a Guest 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 Guest throughout the cruise. - 04/17 - LINK

...so, it's understandable that there are mixed results and answers.

...but the most restrictive one is the current policy.

The website has many conflicting things...
The one I posted was from the US site and the other one was from, I believe, the French site, because it asks if you want English or French as the language.

All three things you posted say the same thing and that is someone under 21 has to be in a cabin with someone 21 or older.

The one I posted was from the US site and the other one was from, I believe, the French site, because it asks if you want English or French as the language.

Not that it really matters, but my prevous posted link is what I get when I go on ncl.com from Norway, so it must be the one valid for several European countries in Northern Europe. There is no ncl page in my own language (Norwegian), all though the telephone number listed when I go to the front page is a Norwegian land line number, probably due to my IP address being in Norway.

And yes, since they (NCL) have different rules regarding this (and other subjects) on different parts of their websites and countries, then it is unfortunately the strictest rule that apply.

When you get to the bottom of the first page you won't want to know how many more pages there are... take note 20165.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/articles/sexual-assault-of-minors/

Oh my goodness, i will now wrap them bubble wrap and keep an eye on them at all times. Take a look at registered child molesters in your area. Better not let your kids outside, very scary...