Two mini suites vs. Haven suite

leonel9

So for my mother's 50th birthday I thought I'd buy a trip on the Epic - 7-Day Southern Caribbean from San Juan. She'd be going with her boyfriend and I would go with my roommate (we're both adults around 30 y/o).

As far as rooms go, it's hard for me to determine what the 2-bedroom Haven suite would be like in the 2nd room. I see a lot of great feedback about kids in the second bedroom. But adults? I can't afford two haven suites, and if the second bedroom would be a bad experience for me/my roommate I'm inclined to get two connecting spa mini-suites.

My other thoughts: in addition to the 2BR Haven suite being $2,500 more (total cost for everyone), booking the suite would mean that guests 3&4 would not get the beverage package, if I understand correctly, and would have to pay for any specialty dining.

So I'm leaning toward two spa mini-suites. Does this make sense? Am I missing anything?Thanks in advance! :):):):)

So for my mother's 50th birthday I thought I'd buy a trip on the Epic - 7-Day Southern Caribbean from San Juan. She'd be going with her boyfriend and I would go with my roommate (we're both adults around 30 y/o).

If you are going to do 4 adults in a cabin then a suite is the best option

As far as rooms go, it's hard for me to determine what the 2-bedroom Haven suite would be like in the 2nd room. I see a lot of great feedback about kids in the second bedroom. But adults? I can't afford two haven suites, and if the second bedroom would be a bad experience for me/my roommate I'm inclined to get two connecting spa mini-suites.

Have you browsed/searched for photos/videos of the 2 bedroom suites and checked the availability of a

specific cabin ?

Is the category of cabin you are looking at a H4 ?

Browsing searching - Google NCL EPIC Cabin XXXX - also Yahoo and YouTube.

The second BR is sort of like being in a large closet - advantage having a second bath facility - but are you

planning to spend a lot of time in your cabin or more outgoing with shore excursions ship activities - is it just

a sleeping place ?

Have you cruised before ? Has mom cruised before ? Has your roommate ?

If you have cruised before your expectations will be different than doing it the first time.

Once you have cruised in a suite it is hard to image cruising in a closet in my opinion - like being

spoiled rotten - but if that closet is in a suite - might be a bit different.

I looked over a diagram of the H4 suite on the Epic and it would not be much different than the 2BR

suite on the DAWN or the STAR.

My other thoughts: in addition to the 2BR Haven suite being $2,500 more (total cost for everyone), booking the suite would mean that guests 3&4 would not get the beverage package, if I understand correctly, and would have to pay for any specialty dining.

Guests 3 & 4 could purchase the UBP and SDP

If in 2 mini suites all guests would or could be covered under a promo package for the UBP SDP

If booking those 2 mini-suites with connecting door - do it soon not a lot of those

Booking mini-suites loses the service of the Butler and Concierge and priority guest services

So I'm leaning toward two spa mini-suites. Does this make sense? Am I missing anything?Thanks in advance!:):):):)

Decisions decisions alternatives - YES you make sense - are you missing anything well there could be a lot

and then not so much - I have bold/italics my thoughts - $$$ money seems to be a concern - nothing wrong

with being frugal and having a good time celebrating mom's birthday (don't forget the cake and if in the MDR

or a SD restaurant the waiters singing HB to mom).

You haven't noted a time frame (mom's BD) to know how soon you need to book to gets what is available

and check for any other additional promos perks insider offers (are you a NCL Latitudes member ? - and

if so are you Platinum which gives you perks for being a frequent loyal cruiser customer) ?

Other factors to consider the cruise originates at San Juan ? - how are you getting there and from where ?

Hotel lodging airfare and checked baggage expenses throw in a taxi ride to maybe complete the picture ?

Oh an Happy Birthday to your MOM !

Edited by don't-use-real-name

The second bedroom is small, just enough for the bed. The bathroom is like a small cruise ship bathroom.

We would always take a Haven room over two minis. Just gotta figure out who gets the small bedroom.

The Haven on the Epic is the best in the fleet. You’ll have a private sauna, steam room, gym, hot tubs, and pool. The Posh Club (similar to the Vibe) has a private bar and 2-Deck sun deck.

We had a forward facing 2BR on the Epic (for the two of us - the second bedroom was storage - but the second toilet came in handy).

I would take the Haven over the 2 mini suites in a heartbeat due to the Haven benefits. The 2nd bedroom is going to be small, but not unbearable. If you have OBC, you can use that to pay for specialty dining for the 3rd and 4th people and maybe the beverages, too. If you or your roommate are bigger drinkers than your mom or her BF, I’d recommend switching the order of passengers so the heavier drinkers get the free packages. Not having to wait in lines, the Haven restaurant and pool, the but,er, etc. are all totally worth the small 2nd bedroom, IMO.

Thank you all for your replies. I will give the benefits of the Haven a closer look -- it has been hard to figure out exactly what the second bedroom looked like, and if two adults would fit there comfortably, but your responses have helped.

Regarding the questions asked, the cruise we're looking at is Southern Caribbean round-trip from San Juan on December 8, 2019. So we have a good 15 months to figure it out, but I want to be conscious of availability.

So I'm leaning toward two spa mini-suites. Does this make sense? Am I missing anything?Thanks in advance! :):):):)

The second bedroom is very small with bunk beds. My son 21 and his friend 21 stayed in there on our last cruise. Was fine for them but Dont know if i would stay in that room with my husband. The bathroom is also extremely small. Haven amenities are great but whoever gets the second room will definitely be jealous of the main bedroom and especially the bathroom!

I haven't found that second bedroom to be at all uncomfortable. For kicks, I climbed up into the bunk bed to see how it felt. Even though I'm 6'0, I was very comfortable. The lower bed is usually a full size so is even larger.

Like others have said, have your #1 and #2 be the people most likely to use the drink packages, etc. It doesn't matter where you actually sleep in the suite.

I cruise with my mom, as she is in her late eighties, obviously gave her the "master bedroom." I thought I would tolerate the dark second bedroom for the benefits of the Haven but I ended up loving it. It was dark and quiet and comfortable for one, not so sure about comfortable for two. I agree with the comment about using the living room couch, especially if someone doesn't like the idea of the bunk bed.

The Haven perks are great and the comment about the drinking package is valid; only you can determine the cost/benefit of the additional cost. Have not traveled with more than two in a cabin but have seen some promos offering free at sea with free extra guest choice - not sure what that offer entails but may be worth investigating if dates offering it would work for your group. Perhaps others could provide information on that type of offer

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise

We usually book the 2 bedroom with family. We share the master. Half way through the cruise we switch rooms. My DH is 6’ and neither of us are small people. We fit on the bed in the second room just fine. No need to pull the bunk down.

Sent from my iPad using Forums