First time cruiser, Transatlantic or not? (Rapsody)

When we went from Rhodes(Greece) to Fethiye one day trip(years a go) dont remember if it a catamaran or a ferry was. On the route back to Rhodes was the sea rough. A lot of people where sick and hang on or near the toilets. We dont feel anything :). The TA is for november 2019. But i agree with many of you all. That a shorter cruise is better for a first timer.

And last year on Kos island i was one day on a verry small ship in bad weather. We feel like a lucifer stick. But it was okay. All this is not days and days but only a few hours.

I am also from The Netherlands and we have booked several cruises on RCCL, Celebrity and HAL through an american online TA in the past 3 years and it really is possible (and very easy). You just need to remember that there is no customer protection like we have when booking with dutch TA’s (SGR, ANVR).

Does it change?

I expect that at some point US/Canadian rules will lose the ability to cancel without losing the deposit.

Once there are no more refundable deposits, then price drops before final payment will probably go.

When we went from Rhodes(Greece) to Fethiye one day trip(years a go) dont remember if it a catamaran or a ferry was. On the route back to Rhodes was the sea rough. A lot of people where sick and hang on or near the toilets. We dont feel anything :). The TA is for november 2019. But i agree with many of you all. That a shorter cruise is better for a first timer.

And last year on Kos island i was one day on a verry small ship in bad weather. We feel like a lucifer stick. But it was okay. All this is not days and days but only a few hours.

Sailing on a cruise ship is nothing like ferry and catamarans. Very little motion, and often just a gentle sway like a hammock. So you should be fine for that.

The real problem with a TA is many days at sea. If you like sitting in a lounge chair with a book, a TA is great. No cooking or cleaning. Just relaxation. There is a lot to do on a ship like Oasis, so you can keep busy if you want to. The big problem is that you can't get off. Some people can't handle several days with no sign of land.

TA prices can be very good. Book it if you feel like an adventure!

Transatlantic sailings must be big money makers or no? I was thinking they would be because you are stuck on the ship and most likely buying all kinds of stuff, food, drinks and all kinds of stuff.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Transatlantic sailings must be big money makers or no? I was thinking they would be because you are stuck on the ship and most likely buying all kinds of stuff, food, drinks and all kinds of stuff.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You might be tempted to shop, but when I TA with a drinks package they don’t make much money from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I may be in the minority here, but I would recommend a TA for ANY cruiser....experienced or not. The short cruises are the worst......lots of children (the teenagers are the most troublesome) and many, many drunks.

If you want to stay close, at least do a 10 day. That gives you a better feel for what cruising is like.

We have done 17 trans Atlantic cruises and all but one of them was very,very calm. We have done 3 TA's on the Rhapsody and 2 TA's on its sister ship Vision. They may be smaller, but are far from being small ships. They are at least twice as large as the Titanic and much,much safer. The sea days are so full and enjoyable....so much to do, that you will be spoiled for any other cruise.

Doug