ESCAPE - September 9th Bermuda - TS/H Florence

Formula280SS

The passenger vessel services act however does prevent passengers disembarking at another us port where there is no non-us port...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That non US port has to be a distant foreign port outside of North America, (except it can be Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao) to disembark at another US port. It isn’t any non US port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be a Jones Act violation. This would also involve Customs and Border Patrol as you are reentering the US. To just “leave” would also be a CBP violation (if they catch it quick enough, you may get detained at MCO).

Why would it be a violation of the Passenger ... vessel act if the ship had already been to the Bahamas and GSC?

Escape is backing out of the pier, off she goes. Safe journey to everyone onboard

Why would it be a violation of the Passenger ... vessel act if the ship had already been to the Bahamas and GSC?

The first port of call/port stop for the ship is Florida. GSC and Bahamas is after. You get on the ship in NY and get off in Florida, never visiting a foreign port of call, therefore you are in violation.

Escape is backing out of the pier, off she goes. Safe journey to everyone onboard

The first port of call/port stop for the ship is Florida. GSC and Bahamas is after. You get on the ship in NY and get off in Florida, never visiting a foreign port of call, therefore you are in violation.

It would not matter if the ship had called at GSC/Bahamas before Florida. The foreign port has to be a distant foreign port, outside North America, or one of the ABC islands to not be in violation.

Here she goes !

7c633140435deaf298090db6715e0ced.jpg

Bon voyage & safe journey to all sailing on the Escape - destination, per AIS tracking data filed with Port Canaveral, is, Cape Canaveral, ETA is 11th of Sept. 15:30 UTC (11:30 EDT)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Look quick, off she goes.

http://www.portnywebcam.com/

Ship and passengers will be fine.

It'll just be VERY rocky, and likely a missed call to GSC.

Also my condolences to anyone who didn't get a balcony. I was on the Breakaway in a big storm in February, and they sealed off 100% of the outside areas of the ship. If I didn't have a balcony it would have gotten extremely claustrophobic.

So regarding this passenger vessel services act and the requirement to visit a distant, non US port (or one of the ABC islands) before you can disembark without penalty, what happens in the case of an emergency or illness and you have to fly home from a port stop? For example, you’re on a Bahama or Caribbean cruise (no ABC island stop) and there was a serious issue at home requiring you to leave.

So regarding this passenger vessel services act and the requirement to visit a distant, non US port (or one of the ABC islands) before you can disembark without penalty, what happens in the case of an emergency or illness and you have to fly home from a port stop? For example, you’re on a Bahama or Caribbean cruise (no ABC island stop) and there was a serious issue at home requiring you to leave.

They don't care. It's in the fine print. It's charged to your account the same way emergency medical services would be.

If it is an emergency you leave. You work out details with cruise line. There will have to be some kind of coordination with authorities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

NCL's approach hasn't changed. They operate many cruises during the height of the hurricane season and have many reroutes. Passengers all sign a contract that allows the cruise line to reroute to keep the ship, passengers, and crew safe, and should not feel entitled to any compensation. And NCL is not willing to operate at a loss or operate "for free",,, and that's just smart business. We have been rerouted twice (last year going to Halifax instead of Bermuda) and enjoyed every minute of being on a cruise. To answer the specific comment, RCCL offered the passengers on the Grandeur (now overnighting in Nassau vs. Bermuda) a 50% OBC and 50% toward a future cruise - essentially operating the ship at a 100% loss,,, not smart business,,, given that there will be more ships rerouted over the weeks to come.
"smart business" - hogwash. That sounds like someone trying to justify NCL's shortcomings compared to their competition on the east coast this week.

I wouldn't be holding up NCL's business practices as examples of smart business. Compare their earnings and their stock price history to other competing lines and NCL is not viewed favorably at all.

We all may love NCLs cruises, but that doesn't mean they are conducting "smart business", especially this week.

"smart business" - hogwash. That sounds like someone trying to justify NCL's shortcomings compared to their competition on the east coast this week. I wouldn't be holding up NCL's business practices as examples of smart business. Compare their earnings and their stock price history to other competing lines and NCL is not viewed favorably at all. We all may love NCLs cruises, but that doesn't mean they are conducting "smart business", especially this week.

Definitely smart business. Can't pay people to take a free cruise for every reroute (which there are many every hurricane season). NCL ships sail full, which is a good indication that their policies do not affect consumer demand.

There were two reroutes 2 weeks ago. Two, maybe three reroutes this week.

Definitely smart business.
Disagree. There are some unhappy passengers on these NCL reroutes that will leave NCL and go try another line because of how NCL handled this. And NCL has done nothing to try to prevent those customers from leaving. Smart businesses recognize losing an existing customer is very, very bad for business. On the other hand, there are unhappy passengers on RCCL and CCL that will give those lines another try just because of how those lines handled this situation.
NCL ships sail full, which is a good indication that their policies do not affect consumer demand.
Putting aside just how robust the economy i has been, ships sailing full is strictly an indication that NCL knows how to fill its ships. I tend to be a last minute cruiser and price is the biggest factor in our decision making. Last couple cruises have been NCL. What's that an indication of?

Businesses exist to make money. Just look at the results.

Disagree. There are some unhappy passengers on these NCL reroutes that will leave NCL and go try another line because of how NCL handled this. And NCL has done nothing to try to prevent those customers from leaving. Smart businesses recognize losing an existing customer is very, very bad for business. On the other hand, there are unhappy passengers on RCCL and CCL that will give those lines another try just because of how those lines handled this situation.

Yep, some passengers may be unhappy and choose not to cruise NCL because they were not given the opportunity to switch. Here is story from the Bermuda Royal Gazette.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20180911/premature-round-trip-for-cruise-passenger

Yep, some passengers may be unhappy and choose not to cruise NCL because they were not given the opportunity to switch. Here is story from the Bermuda Royal Gazette.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20180911/premature-round-trip-for-cruise-passenger

They found the couple from Halifax....or the couple found them. Makes you wonder. Anyways, weather changes things. Buy good trip insurance and book your cruise when weather is not an issue, especially if the route is the only reason you are going.

They found the couple from Halifax....or the couple found them. Makes you wonder. Anyways, weather changes things. Buy good trip insurance and book your cruise when weather is not an issue, especially if the route is the only reason you are going.

I think they found the couple because from their Bermudian perspective there was no reason for the ship to divert. Dawn could have sailed to Bermuda. Some rip currents on the south shore beaches but generally not affected.

I generally agree with that about booking when weather is not an issue but on the east coast we can have a big northeaster anytime, and they can be almost as bad as a hurricane so you can’t say book your cruise when weather is not an issue. The weather can always be an issue. Cruises in May have had to divert to Canada.

Edited by Charles4515