Planning A Solo Cruise on Royal Caribbean Question

I was hoping to take a cruise in the Mediterranean with friends but it looks like that has been put off for a bit. But I'm not discouraged and have decided I might like to try going on a cruise solo instead of missing out on another cruise (I loved the first one so much and it was everything I wanted it to be) My question is, if I was to see an offer on Royal Caribbean's website, for a discounted rate for the second passenger, could I do that instead of paying about 200 percent single supplement? (I think I've seen the 50% off second passenger offer on their website) Also, do they have offers like that often, or is this a once in a blue moon type thing?

My question is, if I was to see an offer on Royal Caribbean's website, for a discounted rate for the second passenger, could I do that instead of paying about 200 percent single supplement? (I think I've seen the 50% off second passenger offer on their website) Also, do they have offers like that often, or is this a once in a blue moon type thing?

The sale offers don't make a diff - you'll be paying a 200% solo supplement. Also, search for 2 people in the cabin, if you search for solo you'll miss out on GTY bookings, which are typically not offered to solos.

You will love a solo cruise. I started cruising solo because like you, people started backing out on me. Once I got use to it and started enjoying it of course I meet the man of my dreams. So now he's falling in love with cruising little by little. LOL

Like someone mentioned look at final cost. If you get a better deal, YES book a cabin for 2. Just show up at the port and tell them they couldn't make it.

Happy solo cruising.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Yes, the 50% off for a second passenger does apply to solo bookings. In effect, it makes the single supplement 50% instead of 100%. Try it and see. When you get to the check-out page, it will show the rate for two and then a BOGO credit.

This offer has been frequent, but there is no guarantee that it will be there in the future. On the other hand, there have been better offers. When I made my (solo) booking for the Baltic ports for next year, the offer was 30% off the (double) fare, which is better.

The upshot is this: book when the current terms result in a price you like. Take into account whether there are any non-fare offers included, such as onboard spending, and what they would be worth to you.

Like someone mentioned look at final cost. If you get a better deal, YES book a cabin for 2. Just show up at the port and tell them they couldn't make it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I started to wonder about doing this - if you have a TBD, how do you buy beverage packages in advance as both parties in a room need to have them? (This isn’t necessarily directed at cynt; I’ve seen this recommendation on several posts.)

I started to wonder about doing this - if you have a TBD, how do you buy beverage packages in advance as both parties in a room need to have them? (This isn’t necessarily directed at cynt; I’ve seen this recommendation on several posts.)

I would not use TBD, I would use some other fake name and fake birthday, making sure that the fake birthday makes the fake guest younger than 21 at the time of the cruise. Then the other person only has to buy one package.

Yes, the 50% off for a second passenger does apply to solo bookings. In effect, it makes the single supplement 50% instead of 100%.

The sales are a marketing gimmick - you can't book any RCI sailing at the MSRP from which the sale price is calculated from, it doesn't exist. It's some made up number, to make you feel as if you are getting a deal. There's no 50% solo supplement, actually there has not been anything but 200% for most of the last year (some GGG flier sailings had 175% solo supplement last year).

I would not use TBD, I would use some other fake name and fake birthday, making sure that the fake birthday makes the fake guest younger than 21 at the time of the cruise. Then the other person only has to buy one package.

That's great suggestion, first I heard that one...

The sales are a marketing gimmick - you can't book any RCI sailing at the MSRP from which the sale price is calculated from, it doesn't exist. It's some made up number, to make you feel as if you are getting a deal. There's no 50% solo supplement, actually there has not been anything but 200% for most of the last year (some GGG flier sailings had 175% solo supplement last year).

It boggles my mind how they get away with it. How it's even legal.

Been going on for 4+ years now. Same as some department stores - they have some "Compare at" price, which the item never sold at.

Wonder if that would work with my business!

I especially love the cruise planner purchases. 30% off one day is different than 30% off the next day, without ever even showing you an MSRP. At least when you book the fare, you see the supposed MSRP and the discounts applied.

"On Board Pricing" is fluid I'm sure.

When I booked solo I got buy one get 50% off my imaginary second guest lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My experience also. Think of the solo rate like a hotel booking - solo pays as much as 4 in a room that has 2 beds. Don't get excited about studio rooms. On a dummy booking they are sometimes more than an interior. Studios are smaller with a twin sized bed.

I have never tried any of the above methods - I just put in 1 guest and if I'm happy with the pricing, I go with it. I book very early hoping to get a good rate and I haven''t been disappointed yet. I did my bucket list trip back in 2016 - a 10 night Med cruise on Rhapsody and it was well under $2K for an inside cabin ... if I remember correctly, it was around $1,600.

My last cruise, I also got a JS for $2K solo. That was in part to a website mixup but I took advantage :)

Solo cruises are the best. Go for it. That's my philosophy, if we always just waited until all the stars lined up for when everyone could travel, one would never go. Just go, look at the overall price that seems like a good deal to you and don't look back. [emoji3][emoji568][emoji267][emoji483]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hopefully it's not 200% supplement, but only 100% or 200% price.

I read an older article online that they give double C&A points for solo travelers (I'm assuming for those paying the 200 percent) Do they still do this?

Solo guests staying in a stateroom designed for two or more guests get an extra C&A point per night.