Bliss - Good but not! build for alaska

supermike1

A short review of my recent trip August,25th

We traveled in a balcony cabin as a family 2 adults + 2 children 13/16. As Austrian we got the UDP for the adults + soda, coffee and juices for the children. As our last trip was with the oasis of the seas in the Caribbean I will compare the ships from time to time.

Overall we had a good time!

The good:

-Cabin and balcony was large (even compared with oasis of the seas), modern and clean

-The Jersey boys were fantastic. Much better than I thought! A real surprise!

-Food was flawless - even we just used the complimentary dinging venues. Taste was great, The local was also really good, the mesa style buffet was rich on options but much too noisy for a relaxed eating.

-The service-staff (especially the bartenders and waiters) was fast and responsive. We hardly ever had to wait at a bar for our drinks.

-embarkation was smooth and fast - no lines at all

-The pools were heated and used by the crowd on most days!

-Laser Tag and racing itself (not the reservation of them) was great and worth the money!

The ok'ish:

-Observatory Lounge was nice and spacious. Most times we got a place there after looking a bit. But there were families occupied the front loungers by sleeping for hours (I was able to see the same family 2 according days at the exact location). For me it seemed as if some people booked a cheap cabin and decided to stay in the observatory lounge. The lounge itself was also somewhat noisy at the front. The view was great and the windows and loungers were still clean.

-Compared to Oasis of the seas the free style concept comes with some drawbacks (at least in my opinion). As we had each day other restaurant times, we got seated on different locations and met another waiter every day. So there was no option the get used to each other. On oasis for example we had the same waiter team the whole cruise and the did even magic tricks for the kids which they really enjoyed. But I understand that this is of course just my taste (Also I did not like the shorts and tees lots of the crowd wore at dinner - dressing this way seemed simply not right for the location in my view)

-The ship developed some movement on sea days if the weather was not 100% sunny (which may often be the situation in Alaska). Compared to the oasis it seemed to me as if the movement was much more at the bliss. Cant say it it's the ship or the itinerary

-Cavern Club and the Beatles cover band: They did a good job if you like the Beatles. The cavern club was much too crowded but as the show was also in the theater on other days that was no problem.

-As my kids hat heir drink packages (and also including free juices besides the sodas) I thought it should be possible for themn to order virgin cocktails (as these are just mixes from sodas and juices) -but this was not possible. The workaround was me ordering virgin drinks for them from the UDP which may be against the rules but was never a problem (even at dinner) and never charged

-They have some strange rules regarding drink tasting and UDPs. I had a discussion with the beer bartender at the disctrict brew house because I would like to taste the beers in a small portion. He told me that for the small portions I would be charged extra but he could give me as much large beers as I want. This ended into ordering lots of large beers with just drinking a small amount of each of them. What a waste!

The awful:

-Their reservation system is not working. Right after getting onboard we were not able to book Racing /Laser tag by their touch screens or via app. Both of them exited the bookings without an error. So we had to wait a long line to do the reservations (instead of having a good first time)

-The reservations got multiply times canceled because of bad weather as these are open air attractions. I'd say wind and rain in Alaska should not be a real surprise for a ship build for Alaska

-Regarding bad weather conditions - I'm not talking of hurricane or thunderstorms... As the laser tag was closed during port hours i had a reservation right after leaving the port. The weather was sunny and there was near no wind. People were wearing shirts and tees or even bathing suites at the pool deck. After we left the port, the now moving ship resulted in some wind. This was the "bad weather" which led to one cancellation of the open air laser tag. The other day the ship bumped a little bit at the waves - another cancellation.

-I had to re book them again by myself via the box office (another line) instead of getting this done by their attraction staff after telling my the reservation got canceled

-We were not able to see tracy arms or the glacier because of a really foggy condition. I understand that the ship has to turn in order to move safe BUT this also should be something not too

unlikely so for a ship build for Alaska I would at least expect some other option/itinerary/offer if one of the main attractions gets canceled. Simply not going there is a little bit a too easy solution for this. They could have done (for example) a free movie (maybe a 3D) showing the itinerary to compensate it a little bit.

-They charge for nearly everything - even the bowling location. We had the UDP and all service charges prepaid, but we still had to pay (little but still) taxes in Washington sea areas. Of course the taxes had to be paid but why at all they don't include these taxes also in the UDP? Royal Caribbean does this! As the expense on taxes are really low (10% of drink prices or so) it is more of a needless trouble than anything else.

-disembarkation was like waiting in a really, really, long line for almost 45 min. I wonder why the embarkation was so perfect and disembarkation was a cruel?

-The waterfront area (the outside seating of bars and restaurants on deck 8) had heating stripes at the ceiling which were activated on most days but as the ceiling was high and the side to the sea was totally open most of the heat disappeared to the sea without use. I just wonder why the decided to use heating stripes at the ceiling and not at the walls or pillars. So the waterfront area was just not used most of the times - in my opinion a clear design flaw for a ship build for Alaska

-Unless you pay for heaven you will have no outside deck view to the front.

Overall we had still a good time but the ship in my opinion in simply not as good as the marketing is trying to tell us.

Br

Mike

Very good, honest review. Thank you for posting.

The ok'ish:

-Observatory Lounge was nice and spacious. Most times we got a place there after looking a bit. But there were families occupied the front loungers by sleeping for hours (I was able to see the same family 2 according days at the exact location).

Unfortunate, I saw some of this too on our cruise, I don't think people should sleep there all day, but if the people are there, I can't imagine there is much that can be done.
-Compared to Oasis of the seas the free style concept comes with some drawbacks (at least in my opinion). As we had each day other restaurant times, we got seated on different locations and met another waiter every day. So there was no option the get used to each other. On oasis for example we had the same waiter team the whole cruise and the did even magic tricks for the kids which they really enjoyed. But I understand that this is of course just my taste (Also I did not like the shorts and tees lots of the crowd wore at dinner - dressing this way seemed simply not right for the location in my view)
Yes, that is the freestyle difference. I noticed it on my first NCL cruise as well. I got over it and now prefer it and when on other lines if I can, I chose their equivalent dining option. If it's something you really don't like, NCL might not be for you.
-The ship developed some movement on sea days if the weather was not 100% sunny (which may often be the situation in Alaska). Compared to the oasis it seemed to me as if the movement was much more at the bliss. Cant say it it's the ship or the itinerary
I'd bet on it being the itinerary.
-They charge for nearly everything
It's NCL, it's what they do.

(Also I did not like the shorts and tees lots of the crowd wore at dinner - dressing this way seemed simply not right for the location in my view)

I'll never understand this common complaint. As long as the other guests are within the restaurant's dress code, I don't see how/why shorts and t-shirts bother anyone else.

The workaround was me ordering virgin drinks for them from the UDP which may be against the rules but was never a problem (even at dinner) and never charged

It is against the terms of the promo/package. It's ironic that people following the rules in the restaurant (dress code) bothers some people but violating the terms of the promo just to save money doesn't.

We had the UDP and all service charges prepaid, but we still had to pay (little but still) taxes in Washington sea areas. Of course the taxes had to be paid but why at all they don't include these taxes also in the UDP? Royal Caribbean does this! As the expense on taxes are really low (10% of drink prices or so) it is more of a needless trouble than anything else.

Other lines simply add the amount to cover the taxes into the fare. That way, everyone pays even if they don't drink anything. NCL's way only charges those who are actually drinking something.

-Unless you pay for heaven you will have no outside deck view to the front.

Not sure if that was a typo or a Freudian slip. :p

Encore and Joy (I think) will have the same type of forward-facing view.

Escape, Getaway, and Breakaway have a public forward-facing sundeck. For the BA/BA Plus ships, it's a 50/50 chance of having a public forward-facing view while outdoors.

Thanks for the review. Sorry that your cruise did not go as well as expected.

Cruising is changing.We were on the Allure of the Seas a few months ago, and there were lots of shorts and t-shirts in the main dining room on formal night. And, we had My Time Dining and never saw the same waiters twice. We just got assigned a random table. Neither bother us, but it is a change in cruising.

Charging taxes while in port is simply due to following local ordinances. Local taxes must be collected until the ship is in international waters.

Also it was referenced several times about the ship being "build [sic] for Alaska." I don't believe the Bliss was purpose built for any location. While it did debut in Alaska, it's moving to Miami for the winter season and is coming to NYC in 2019 to do Bermuda/Bahamas itineraries.

NCL had been marketing it pretty loud and clear as "built for Alaska".

Mainly the forward observation deck is different...

No way to heat the waterfront in the wind without enclosing it, then you lose the appeal.

Mainly the forward observation deck is different...

No way to heat the waterfront in the wind without enclosing it, then you lose the appeal.

I don't disagree, but I'm not the one doing the marketing, so, I don't think what you wrote changes what I said:
NCL had been marketing it pretty loud and clear as "built for Alaska"

I don't disagree, but I'm not the one doing the marketing, so, I don't think what you wrote changes what I said:

Not really trying to argue, but the custom built for Alaska part references the forward observation lounge over and over..

from NCL website..."Custom-built for the spectacular, Norwegian Bliss features a revolutionary Observation Lounge for you to soak in every stunning moment, from bald eagles soaring over glaciers to dolphins splashing through warm turquoise waters. Come aboard and experience the best dining, entertainment, and amenities at sea against a backdrop of unrivaled natural beauty. "

What more would you have done? given that pretty much the main blueprint of the ship is set in stone. You speak of the waterfront being cold...it's Alaska.

That said, there is a reason I prefer the warmer water cruises. Maybe one day, I'll do Alaska...but at this point, I don't think I'm old enough. I may give the Bliss a run out of Miami.

I enjoyed your review, thanks.

The OP did not mention this but in the reviews section for Bliss its amazing how many people complain about the temperature of the pools and they could not swim or do outdoor activities. HELLO, you are cruising Alaska. Its not the Caribbean.

Not flaming the OP but I agree with Two Wheels, I can never understand the complaints of what others are wearing. HELLO, you are on vacation. Time for the suit or uniform to come off and RELAX. I don't care if its jeans, shorts, sweat pants, or pajamas. Have fun, tell the world.

Edited by david_sobe

I was on the same trip aug 25. I didn't have any issues getting in the go karts. They refunded the unlimited pass when closed due to weather. It was a bit rocky the first night. The food was ok it got better as the cruise went on. I had some meals that where crap such as fried chicken. Other items such as the lamb chops and mushroom ravioli where on point.

The water slides where fun. Not for every one I did enjoy the large one that hangs over the boat. You go in a chamber and the bottom falls out and off you go.

I was beyond pissed about not seeing the glaciers. It's really the main in reason many people go. I found it unacceptable that a 20 second announcement was all we got. I did get to experience mendenhall glacier as I did the kayak excursion that I booked on my own.

Overall we had fun got some amazing pictures went into the Yukon. It was my first NCL cruise not sure I would go again due to skipping the glaciers. I understand weather. It cleared up fast and It seemed that they just said screw it lets skip it. Princess so far has been my fav line due to the amazing food and service. I'll try one of the new RC ships next. The wife has been on them but not me.

Regarding the ship missing the Glacier, that's unfortunate. I feel for you all.

Do you know if the Tracy Arm excursion small boat was able to get up to see the glacier?

Wasn't an option due to a short stay in Juneau. The helicopter tour's where canceled also. Unless you booked kayak or canoe trip you missed the glacier. Those trips where very limited due to time constraints and the national forest service only allowing limited kayaks and canoes at one time.

We were also on the 8/25 sailing. There was only one day of rocky ship movement, and based on the experiences my friends have had on Alaskan cruises even on other lines in other years, that's the day that's rough. It's just that part of the ocean. That was the only day our go karts and laser tag were cancelled, and they told us to just come back another day and let them know we'd been cancelled before and they'd work us in. And they did. We went up when we got back from port a little early one day and they got us right in. We were there another time with a reservation and they had a group go with only 4 cars. So they easily could have had more go if you had walked up.

As for the wall screens not working right on embarkation, I think the problem was that they weren't loaded yet with everyone's accounts. I tried to make a dinner reservation that way and had the same experience. I will agree that it was frustrating because it wasn't completely clear that it wasn't working. But when you get on, they pretty clearly direct you up to the Q to have you make race track, laser tag and show reservations. We did that as we embarked and had no problem, made a few reservations for both, and we we were set.

I thought the observation deck was lovely. It did take some waiting sometimes to find a spot... but... there are 4000+ people on the ship. So I guess I just figured that was going to happen. There are only so many couches. :)

I totally agree with you that I wish they'd have been able to do a different route for that glacier evening. That was really disappointing. Our friends were on the week before and they had problems as well, although they got closer and at least got a glimpse. It seems like this is something there should be a plan B for. But I'm not quite sure what that would be since I'm no navigator. :) I'm not sure about the response that said it cleared up fast? We must have had different views. Maybe it felt like it "cleared up" because we sailed back out of the fog? But it was definitely not clearing up as we traveled up Tracey Arm. And I know our friends the week before had to turn back because of too much ice in the water. So given the knowledge of an ice field present and no visibility, I guess I'm glad overall that we didn't chance it. I don't think that's NCL's fault or that another line would have magically had visibility. I think we just had bad luck that day. But like I said, it sure would have been nice to have had a plan B.

I was actually pleasantly surprised at how nice it was to be outdoors most of the time. The heating was good, they handed out blankets as needed and there were plenty of locations to stay out of the wind. Just goes to show you that we all come at it from different starting expectations. I felt like they did a great job of designing it to make it comfortable for Alaska. I will say that I saw another ship in port one time that appeared to have a retractable roof over their pool. That looked like a fabulous idea! Although my kids sure didn't care about the temperature in the pool area! They had a blast. Especially on that one rocky day that turned the pool into a wave pool. :)

We didn't buy drink packages for the kids because I figured they didn't need quite that much soda to make it worth it. I planned to pay for their sodas every time. But every time I ordered one, even when I was ordering a drink for myself, or when we were at dinner, or whatever, so it was very clear that the drink was not for me, they comped it into my package. One time my kid was talking about wanting a milkshake and a waitress said she could make him a virgin mudslide and put it on my card. We didn't end up doing that because they really wanted the monstrosity at Coco's, but I'm surprised at how many people get so indignant about "following the rules" on things like soda, when the actual staff on the ship are the ones offering to make things just work out. So anyway, I applaud your ingenuity in ordering the "fancy drinks" for your kids. :)

Oh, and I totally agree with you on Jersey Boys! Wasn't it so good???? I wish I could see it again. :)

Wasn't an option due to a short stay in Juneau. The helicopter tores where canceled also. Unless you booked kayak or canoe trip you missed he glacier. Those trips where very limited due to time constraints and the national forest service only allowing limited kayaks canoes at one time.

Yeah it was REALLY bad foggy weather that morning. It cleared for a bit when we were at Mendenhall Glacier. Just enough to get some decent pics. But I can see why they cancelled helicopter tours.

Yeah it was REALLY bad foggy weather that morning. It cleared for a bit when we were at Mendenhall Glacier. Just enough to get some decent pics. But I can see why they cancelled helicopter tours.

Absolutely no way they could fly. If you saw people on the lake. That was me, there was 31 people. As you said above I wish there was a plan B for the glacial viewing. I just felt a bit cheated, I understand why we skipped it.

Wasn't an option due to a short stay in Juneau. The helicopter tour's where canceled also. Unless you booked kayak or canoe trip you missed the glacier. Those trips where very limited due to time constraints and the national forest service only allowing limited kayaks and canoes at one time.

Was your stay in Juneau shorter than scheduled?

The Tracy Arm excursion departs when the ship is scheduled to depart - around 1:00-ish if I recall correctly, and then goes ahead of the cruise ship to the glacier.

Also it was referenced several times about the ship being "build [sic] for Alaska." I don't believe the Bliss was purpose built for any location. While it did debut in Alaska, it's moving to Miami for the winter season and is coming to NYC in 2019 to do Bermuda/Bahamas itineraries.

I don't think that is entirely accurate. I'm on the Bliss for a pacific coastal in April ending in Vancouver on May 4th. The following day the Bliss leaves from Seattle on the start of the 2019 Alaska runs.

We didn't end up doing that because they really wanted the monstrosity at Coco's, but I'm surprised at how many people get so indignant about "following the rules" on things like soda, when the actual staff on the ship are the ones offering to make things just work out. So anyway, I applaud your ingenuity in ordering the "fancy drinks" for your kids. :)

The problem is when "use" becomes "abuse". If everyone expects to get what they aren't supposed to get (even when the staff allows it), the end result will be NCL making things worse/more restrictive.

Plus, if more and more people read on CC that "...the staff doesn't mind...", more and more people will likely try to push the boundary with something else.

Regarding the ship missing the Glacier, that's unfortunate. I feel for you all.

Do you know if the Tracy Arm excursion small boat was able to get up to see the glacier?

Yes, I know, it did not. It was supposed to be the center highpoint of our trip. Having done two trips to Alaska previously and having a 50/50 chance of seeing a calving glacier 2 miles out, we definitely were looking forward small boat excursion leaving the ship at 1:15PM and getting with a 1/4 mile of the glacier plus the possibility of seeing whales and wildlife up close.

We went to check in and where cheerfully told that due to equipment failures that the excursion was cancelled and that our fares were refunded "just now". We would still be able to see the glacier though. Right, we thought from our previous experience---and as you see in this thread the ship's tour of the glacier was a bust as well. So disappointed.

I do wonder about why the captain did not turn back once the skies cleared after we sailed away from the glacier a little bit, surely he could have made up the time.

I don't think that is entirely accurate. I'm on the Bliss for a pacific coastal in April ending in Vancouver on May 4th. The following day the Bliss leaves from Seattle on the start of the 2019 Alaska runs.

Charging taxes while in port is simply due to following local ordinances. Local taxes must be collected until the ship is in international waters.

At the end of her 2019 summer Alaska season the Bliss will reposition to NYC and spend fall/winter/spring from NYC doing Fl/Bahamas and Caribbean sailings. Escape will be in NYC during summer 2019 doing the Bermuda runs.

The problem is when "use" becomes "abuse". If everyone expects to get what they aren't supposed to get (even when the staff allows it), the end result will be NCL making things worse/more restrictive.

Plus, if more and more people read on CC that "...the staff doesn't mind...", more and more people will likely try to push the boundary with something else.

Well as I said we fully expected to pay for the things we ordered for the kids. But the staff suggested the way they billed things. The same happened in the specialty restaurants with food for them. They went out of their way to make things work out within our packages so we'd get charged the least. I had zero expectation to do that and planned to pay their a la carte menu prices for whatever they ate. But was pleasantly surprised by the helpfulness.

I do wonder about why the captain did not turn back once the skies cleared after we sailed away from the glacier a little bit, surely he could have made up the time.

I don't think the skies cleared after we sailed away. I think the fog was socked in deeper in the inlet and was lighter the farther you got out towards more open space/water. So it may have felt like things were "changing" but really we were just driving away from it.