Cruising after Brexit.

emam

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I have just taken out annual travel insurance and it was a lot less than with another company, so again, I see no problem.  My previous insurer was a reasonable price, but this one is better.  So I don't see an insurance hike at all.  Particularly as we have a few medical things to declarle.

I would ask you who you use for future reference Jean but I know that commercial organisations are not allowed to be mentioned on here.

5 hours ago, docco said:

Nobody in their right mind would rely on a EHIC - particularly for a cruise - but it’s certainly an additional benefit to travelling within the EU and I shall resent losing it. And it’s certainly a factor in increasing travel insurance costs.

No you can’t rely on EHIC for a cruise, proper cruise insurance is expensive as we all know to our cost. It’s just one more benefit to go and so far all I see from this change is what I am losing and the inconveniences and additional costs it is likely to cause.

I am yet to see anything positive but time will tell I suppose.

23 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I would ask you who you use for future reference Jean but I know that commercial organisations are not allowed to be mentioned on here.

First thing I did was use a comparison site, like Confused or Compare.  That gave me quite a few to choose from.  I didn't go with the top one as I couldn't find anything about them.  But the next two were both good with good reviews.  Try that.

Been on several cruises where a passenger has injured themselves (falling out of tour bus, tripping on pavement). Quick trip to the local A&E (ambulance), bandaged up (and xrays or whatever) back on the ship before leaving.  All free of charge thanks to the EHIC.   But you should remember to take your EHIC card ashore with you.  But we wont have to bother with that soon.  Just hope you are not accident prone!!

7 minutes ago, qm2lover said:

Been on several cruises where a passenger has injured themselves (falling out of tour bus, tripping on pavement). Quick trip to the local A&E (ambulance), bandaged up (and xrays or whatever) back on the ship before leaving.  All free of charge thanks to the EHIC.   But you should remember to take your EHIC card ashore with you.  But we wont have to bother with that soon.  Just hope you are not accident prone!!

A very good point - and no claim on the travel insurance, which avoids the premium being bumped up on renewal and keeps travel insurance costs down.

A lot of people have yet to realise how valuable the EHIC and its predecessor have been to travellers within the EU.  I fear for ex-pats (we'd call them immigrants if they came here!) too.

We've been really lucky too.  Never had to use our EHIC cards either.  Like insurance, you have it but hope never to use it!  You never know what is round the corner.  Travel Insurance is great, but you may have to provide your insurance details and prove that they will meet the bill for any treatment before they let you through the hospital door!  Or just show your EHIC card for free treatment.  EHIC are not and never have been intended to be the same as, or to replace travel insurance which is a totally different thing.

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

First thing I did was use a comparison site, like Confused or Compare.  That gave me quite a few to choose from.  I didn't go with the top one as I couldn't find anything about them.  But the next two were both good with good reviews.  Try that.

Hi thanks Jean, I’ll try that next year.

9 hours ago, davidh68 said:

What about cruises originating in Dover after Brexit? Seems like they might have a tough time restocking food and other provisions as a lot of it comes from the EU.

Surely that's equally true for cruises leaving from Southampton, which is where P&O cruises depart from? But unless the whole UK population is going to be on short rations after Brexit, which I think is unlikely, I wouldn't expect cruise lines to have a major problem.

Apparently some food manufacturers are already stock piling raw ingredients “just in case” and according to the news, storage facilities are at capacity as organisations are actually contingency planning. The government are stocking up on medications for example

Hopefully it will all be like the Y2K situation and a storm in a tea cup, remember all the fuss and panic about that?

If it’s not then those cruising after Brexit day might for the first time ever come home without gaining weight😀