Port of Miami Hotels and Transportation

kaseyj79

We are sailing Sept 30 on our first cruise through Carnival Cruise line. We will be flying in to Ft Lauderdale the day before and will need a hotel. My husband and I would really like to stay in a hotel on the beach, but transportation is a concern. We have a hotel we love from a past visit to Ft. Lauderdale, but with it being 45 min away we are concerned about transportation. Should be stay in Miami and if so where?

We’ve done hotels on the beach in Ft Lauderdale but for our last cruise we flew into Ft Lauderdale but stayed as close to the port as possible (YVE Hotel Miami). We could see our ship from our window on the 16th floor, and the ride to the port was about 5 minutes.

With the creation of ride companies like Uber and Lyft, it’s extremely easy and affordable to move around, and go from the airport to any hotel, from hotel to the port, and from the port back to the airport.

Just download the app for these companies and you’ll have transportation anywhere at your fingertips within minutes. We used Lyft for all of our transportation needs in Miami on our list cruise and it worked wonderfully, plus it saved us a considerably amount of money.

Just stay where you think it will be more enjoyable. We stayed at the W Resort in Ft Lauderdale Beach for our previous cruise out of Miami and it was an absolutely fantastic extension to our vacation. But for our last cruise we were more interested in being conveniently located near the port of Miami since we had several family members traveling with us. But in both cases, transportation was not an issue thanks to these ride apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...We will be flying in to Ft Lauderdale the day before and will need a hotel. My husband and I would really like to stay in a hotel on the beach, but transportation is a concern. We have a hotel we love from a past visit to Ft. Lauderdale, but with it being 45 min away we are concerned about transportation....

First of all, YIKES that you don't have a hotel yet. Is it for this year, like in 3 weeks? :o

You will probably get other replies about closer hotels. but we love the Beachcomber Resort up the road in Pompano Beach. I mean, they are ON the beach, and the views from an ocean view balcony room are fabulous. If you get a good deal on a rental car (think big box store online agency :D ), you might be able to pull it all together, returning the car in Miami.

https://www.beachcomberresort.com/

Just a suggestion.

We’ve done hotels on the beach in Ft Lauderdale but for our last cruise we flew into Ft Lauderdale but stayed as close to the port as possible (YVE Hotel Miami). We could see our ship from our window on the 16th floor, and the ride to the port was about 5 minutes.

How did you like the YVE Hotel? It's what I'm considering booking for our late October Cruise.

I thought it was great for a pre cruise stay! Perfectly located right across the street from Bayside Marketplace which is where we ate and killed some time the day before the cruise.

The hotel is modern and trendy, and they give you vouchers for free drinks at the bar in the lobby. Room was a bit on the small side with a tiny bathroom, but it was clean and modern. We paid a bit extra to get a high floor with a view of the port area and it was well worth it. Very exciting to see our ship come in right from our window that morning.

Lots of cruise passengers staying at the hotel based on the number of people with cruise tagged luggage on the morning of the cruise. When we were ready to head to the port, we summoned a Lyft that picked us up right outside the door within minutes. Very convenient.

The only drawback was that there was a bit of a funky smell in the lobby when we walked in. Like a sewer smell masked with some aromatherapy scent. It was off putting, but thankfully it was only when we first walked in. Couldn’t smell it anywhere else in the hotel. I’d stay there again but not for a long stay. The hotel is in a great location but the amenities at the hotel are a bit limited.

2c9c638fed048fdc9ea2d61ab704945a.jpg

I thought it was great for a pre cruise stay! Perfectly located right across the street from Bayside Marketplace which is where we ate and killed some time the day before the cruise.

The hotel is modern and trendy, and they give you vouchers for free drinks at the bar in the lobby. Room was a bit on the small side with a tiny bathroom, but it was clean and modern. We paid a bit extra to get a high floor with a view of the port area and it was well worth it. Very exciting to see our ship come in right from our window that morning.

Lots of cruise passengers staying at the hotel based on the number of people with cruise tagged luggage on the morning of the cruise. When we were ready to head to the port, we summoned a Lyft that picked us up right outside the door within minutes. Very convenient.

The only drawback was that there was a bit of a funky smell in the lobby when we walked in. Like a sewer smell masked with some aromatherapy scent. It was off putting, but thankfully it was only when we first walked in. Couldn’t smell it anywhere else in the hotel. I’d stay there again but not for a long stay. The hotel is in a great location but the amenities at the hotel are a bit limited.

2c9c638fed048fdc9ea2d61ab704945a.jpg

Thanks so much for the picture and the detailed recap. I am ok with small rooms and bathrooms for a one-night stay pre-cruise. :)

It's so funny that you mentioned this place because the Beachcomber is the hotel I was talking about. We absolutely love it there! I'm just so worried about transportation. I don't mind renting a car, but since we would be picking the car up at the Ft Lauderdale hotel and dropping it off in Miami the price is crazy! If we drop it off at the same pick up location its only like $30 but then how would we get to Miami?

I'm just so worried about transportation.

...how would we get to Miami?

Just priced out a Lyft from the Beachcomber to the port of Miami. Cost for up to 4 passengers is $43. Just download the app. You’ll have a car waiting for you within minutes.

In TripAdvisor reviews for YVE have almost 13% poor or terrible ratings. This is somewhat of a red flag ... suggest OP read the reviews and make a decision.

Just like on Cruise Critic, one needs to read the reviews to understand what’s behind some people’s ratings and weed out the ones that seem exaggerated, both good and bad. For example for the YVE, there are a couple of one star reviews, some which sound legitimate, but some that seem blown completely out of proportion.

One star because “there’s no fridge in the room”, or one star because “the bathroom was small”, or one star because there’s “a funky smell in lobby”. These are things that we encountered, but wouldn’t be reasons for me to give this hotel a one star rating. One person complained about how hard it is to find this hotel (What?? The hotel is centrally located on Biscayne Blvd across from Bayside. It’s almost impossible to miss!). Another one complained because their room faced the building next door (did you read the room description before you booked it, or did you just book the cheapest one?).

On the other end of the spectrum, there are considerably many more positive reviews, specially recent ones. Out of 3,211 reviews, the vast majority give it an excellent or very good rating. For a one night stay, we considered it to be a great option and wouldn’t hesitate to book it again. I wouldn’t give it an “excellent” rating but I think it definitely qualifies between “very good” and “above average”.

Edited by Tapi

Is there such a thing as a hotel close enough you can walk to the Miami port? We are looking for a Miami hotel for March 2019 for one night precruise.

The closest hotels will be right on Biscayne Blvd across from Bayside Marketplace. Technically you could walk but it’s a loooong walk across a bridge and then more walking once you’re in Dodge Island. Not something that I would recommend hauling luggage, but I’ve seen a few pedestrians without luggage walking between the terminals and Bayside Marketplace.

Holiday Inn or Intercontinental, across from Bayside Market, are likely the closest to the port. Tapi is correct - making that walk in Miami heat/humidity while dragging bags and dodging traffic is not something I want to do; you are better off spending under $10 for an Uber or Lyft IMHO but it is your call.

Is there such a thing as a hotel close enough you can walk to the Miami port? We are looking for a Miami hotel for March 2019 for one night precruise.

Yes and No. Close enough? Sure only around a mile away. But up a bridge. An Uber would be less than $10.00.

To the OP, stay where you wish, with Uber/Lyft it is not a big deal nor cost. No matter what you'll need to do the drive to Miami, be it from FLL or from your hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. I will say if you never visited Miami or Miami Beach I would highly consider looking for something in the area.

• 2 weeks later...