Bottled water/ship’s water

tvlgoddess

Bottled water in Texas (per the Houston Chronicle):

Most bottled water is from a municipal water supply.

In Walmart's case, the water is Niagara — not from Niagara Falls, or even company headquarters in California — but from a local plant in Grand Prairie.

Kroger's bottles don't say where their water is sourced, but it's Dallas City water from Irving.

Aquafina's bottle says their product comes from "public water sources." A company spokesman says it's Dallas water from Mesquite.

Tom Thumb's brand, Refreshe', doesn't reveal its source. It's bottled by Advanced H20 near Duncanville.

Dasani, a division of Coca-Cola doesn't give a clue where it comes from on the bottle. Headquarters says that its source is Dallas water mains.

Nestle Pure Life's label does say its source is public water supplies, Dallas, Texas.

If we are sailing out of foreign ports (Europe, Asia, Japan, Australia), we always order on line through Princess several packages of water. We prepay and they are in our room when we arrive (or the room steward replenishes as soon as he / sees we are finishing one case. Therefore, we have water at the ready to take off the ship with us as we do our tours, etc. In the case of Florida, we embark with a case of 24 and are all set for the week. We do drink the water on the ship. Never had any issues with ship water. That is the way we keep our weight down. Prior to eating anything, drink a couple of glasses of water and you will find as well that you do not gain a pound.

I used to ask the cabin stewards if it was ok to drink and they assured me the out of the faucet was fine but coming down the Amazon I turned on the faucet and brown muddy water came out. I asked him and he said

He wouldn’t drink it. Since then I have taken to ordering bottled water.,,but I wonder what the ice cubes and dining room water are??? I must say I never got sick from it. Bottled water seems to be in fashion nowadays. An Irish guide said he never drinks water that is not bottled above the first floor even at home “since no telling how long it may have been sitting in the pipes”. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am picky about water as we have wonderful pure well water.

I'm so jealous!!

When I was growing up my grandparents farm has an artesian well. Haven't tasted anything like it since. It was delicious. Today I don't drink water without putting some kind of flavoring in it.

The artesian well is now a parking lot for a huge housing complex. :(:mad:

I used to ask the cabin stewards if it was ok to drink and they assured me the out of the faucet was fine but coming down the Amazon I turned on the faucet and brown muddy water came out. I asked him and he said

He wouldn’t drink it. Since then I have taken to ordering bottled water.,,but I wonder what the ice cubes and dining room water are??? I must say I never got sick from it. Bottled water seems to be in fashion nowadays. An Irish guide said he never drinks water that is not bottled above the first floor even at home “since no telling how long it may have been sitting in the pipes”. Mike

What Princess ship were you on cruising on the Amazon?

The water treatment process aboard Princess ships is explained in quite a bit of detail and how closely the water is monitored during the Ultimate Ship's Tour. I've taken a few of those tours on a number of Princess ships and I've never encountered any muddy water not only on our nine previous Princess cruises but never on Home Lines, RCL, or Norwegian either.

Howard

Yellow to brownish discolored water is most frequently caused by maintenance of the piping system. The calcium carbonate and chlorine added to the water tends to form a scale on the inside of the pipes. As long as the pipes are full of water, this scale stays put. When the system is shut down and drained for repairs, this scale dries out and flakes off. It is then circulated around the piping system, and migrates to the static legs leading to your cabin sink and shower. Typically, if you run the water for a minute or so, it will clear up. There is nothing hazardous with this scale (calcium carbonate is the ingredient in Tums).

All the potable water on the ship is the same water as coming from your sink taps. The only difference is that the ice makers, bar guns, drink dispensers, and water stations in the dining venues have a carbon filter on them to remove the chlorine in the water, to prevent the scaling that chlorine causes in the piping from forming in the machinery.

I was on the Pacific Princess coming down the Amazon about 6 or 7 years ago. It was also the shower water. I am aware of the purification system. It lasted only a couple of days (we were on the Amazon from Manus to Ft Lauderdale via Devils Island. Perhaps something was broken but when the crew said they wouldn’t drink it that tended to make me reluctant as well. As a matter of fact didn’t even take a shower for a couple of days. Hasn’t happened before or since. No info given to passengers but it did make me switch to bottled which I buy at very reasonable rate on cruise personalizer. Mike