Not pleased at the booking policies of Holland America

Scubaqn

To all, i am frustrated --- not angry or bitter. One poster said "sometimes they waive it" referring to booking policy. As far as my experience this has been true for at least 3 cruise lines I've been on .

Furthermore I have read innumerable posts about upper level star Mariners who received x or y perk, not having paid extra for it and not normally included in their package. Why is offering OBC 24 hours later to a non pinnacle suite first time guest some kind of tragedy? Seems like they don't want to retain new customers either as several posters pointed out.

For everyone's information it was a non refundable fare but the offer was made was offered BEFORE final payment date. I din't know and like a fool paid the final payment without looking. I didn't cancel and rebook. On Y date they offered the promotion in order to get people to book at the same fare that I was already paying. I could have the OBC if I was willing to give up several hundred dollars in deposit by canceling the reservation. Well duh. Of course I wasn't willing to do that.

To the poster who used the ice cream analogy which is a non sequitur. I'm not asking for something after the cruise. It is literally a check in the computer. Probably I would have spent it anyway. not now.

If I would have had booked months ago I would feel different. It was 24 hours. What about companies that price match? I was essentially asking HAL to price match with itself in a 24 hour period.

To the poster who referred to the alcohol prices and 15 drink limit I wasn't referring to another cruise line. I was referring to HAL's beverage pricing, whereby you have to have I believe 9 drinks a day to break even, thus basically in a week's time 90 drinks. That's wayyyy too much alcohol for me in a week.

Edited by Scubaqn
fix

To those who have posted, thank you for your replies,

1. As stated in the original post, the fare is EXACTLY the same. The difference is OBC. There is literally no cash involved here at all.

2. The difference in time is literally 24 HOURS.

3. Yes it is a nonrefundable fare. I wasn't asking for a refund. In fact I was wiling to upgrade and PAY MORE.

4. Nickel and diming on the fare? really? Is it nickel and diming US when we pay exorbitant prices for bottom shelf beer, liquors or as another posted stated in a separate thread the wine prices? Or better yet you have to just about become an alcoholic and purchase the beverage package for 15 drinks a day if you want any kind of break on prices. We can't go else where for these things, so they can charge whatever they choose.

The change you asked for would constitutte a cacellation

You say no cash involved but OBC is cash when it is time to pay that onboard bill.

Had the price increased as has happened on some cruises we had booked,,,,,,,, would you pay the additional amount?

To those who have posted, thank you for your replies,

1. As stated in the original post, the fare is EXACTLY the same. The difference is OBC. There is literally no cash involved here at all.

2. The difference in time is literally 24 HOURS.

3. Yes it is a nonrefundable fare. I wasn't asking for a refund. In fact I was wiling to upgrade and PAY MORE.

4. Nickel and diming on the fare? really? Is it nickel and diming US when we pay exorbitant prices for bottom shelf beer, liquors or as another posted stated in a separate thread the wine prices? Or better yet you have to just about become an alcoholic and purchase the beverage package for 15 drinks a day if you want any kind of break on prices. We can't go else where for these things, so they can charge whatever they choose.

Sooooo. don't buy those things. Drink water, tea, lemonade and coffee. It is what it is and what you agreed to. Get over it. I am sure you got a great deal to begin with!

Concerning item #4 ("Or better yet you have to just about become an alcoholic and purchase the beverage package for 15 drinks a day if you want any kind of break on prices. "). You don;t have to be an alcoholic to benefit from the beverage package. It is a common misconception that you have to drink 15 beverages per day to break even with the package. Do the math. The average cocktail, beer, or wine costs between $6.50 and $8.00. With the 15% service charge added in, you are paying around $9 for every drink. The SBP costs $51.70 per day, including the 15%. So, divide $51.70 by $9 and you get around 6 beverages. after that you are drinking free. There's the discount. Some people don't find it works for them, others say they benefit from it. Strictly a personal choice. But I do agree that HAL has some of the lowest drink prices of all the major lines. An Absolute and tonic is $7.95 menu price.

In all my very many HAL cruises, I have always had whatever drink I wat at whichever bar and have never had a beverage package. I get whatever drink I want when I want it. No one is going to MAKE you buy a beverage package. :rolleyes:

< putting on flame retardant suit >

To much of a degree I agree with the OP that it may be poor business practice for HAL to have denied the OP’s request for the OBC credit/fare change match, within the 24 hours of booking, irregardless of booking fare type (refundable or non-refundable). Yes, HAL is within their right to stick to their contract rules, terms & conditions, etc., contrary to other’s favourable (or not) experiences with the same situation.

Some travel industry businesses, including airlines, have a 24 hour window for purchase/ticket refund, no questions asked, for all fare types. It offers time for “remorse” purchases & promotes goodwill. Some businesses overtly promote this “feature”, others bury it in the fine print.

The OP is welcome to not do business with HAL in the future as proposed, if so chooses. We have done same wipbusiness entity over the years, for one reason or another. That’s the choice of a consumer.

My $0.02 CDN ($0.01 USD).

Safe travels & happy bargain hunting all.

Cheers. Dogstar.

< cautiously removing flame retardant suit >

Edited by Dogstar

Celebrity has a 24 hour price match but it is difficult to use.

We once booked and cruise went down within the 24 hours, so we filled out and emailed the appropriate paperwork.

Their augment was that the clock started when the cruise was reserved, not paid. With some research we found out our ta had put a cabin on hold a day earlier when we showed interest and were checking into flights.

To much of a degree I agree with the OP that it may be poor business practice for HAL to have denied the OP’s request for the OBC credit/fare change match, within the 24 hours of booking, irregardless of booking fare type (refundable or non-refundable). Yes, HAL is within their right to stick to their contract rules, terms & conditions, etc., contrary to other’s favourable (or not) experiences with the same situation.

Some travel industry businesses, including airlines, have a 24 hour window for purchase/ticket refund, no questions asked, for all fare types. It offers time for “remorse” purchases & promotes goodwill. Some businesses overtly promote this “feature”, others bury it in the fine print.

The OP is welcome to not do business with HAL in the future as proposed, if so chooses. We have done same wipbusiness entity over the years, for one reason or another. That’s the choice of a consumer.

Cheers. Dogstar.

I find your perspective quite reasonable. As you’ve noted, though, it’s up to the cruise line.

I use a TA that is also a part of travel consortium that has added benefits. On my January cruise, that gives me an additional $100.00 shipboard credit and a Pinnacle dinner. This is in addition to the $200.00 shipboard credit that the TA is giving me from the agency as well as the HAL offers. This will be my forth cruise with this agency. I found them after doing some comparison shopping. My bookings are a simple transaction for the TA as I know exactly what I want. If you are not shopping around, you might want to do so on future cruises. Having the clout of a TA behind you can make a huge difference when dealing with the cruise lines.

This will be my one and only Holland America cruise. I will never book with them again. I booked a reservation at a certain date less than 2 weeks ago. My final payment date passes In the meantime they conveniently offer a small onboard credit for booking. The fare is the same I've paid. I call them and ask for the onboard credit to be applied. I am told too bad it's after the final reservation deadline. I tell them fine cancel that reservation and rebook me on the same fare on the same cruise which is still on the web. In fact I offer to upgrade to a new level for more money. I realize that fares come and go and I'm not asking for a reduction in the fare. And I'm willing to pay more in fact but the answer is still no. Several other cruise lines I have been on even as recently as last year would simply add the OBC. Yes I did talk to a supervisor. Believe me I will never book on HAL again.

I can see that it would be nice if they gave it to you, but it would be a courtesy and accommodation, not something they owe you. But by all means let a 'small onboard credit' determine what cruise lines you consider in the future. Good luck.

Cheers. Dogstar.

In this case, the OBC is an incentive to book. Why would someone deserve an incentive to book when they have already booked?

Seems to me it's a matter of consistency. If the cruise line breaks their own rules sometimes but not other times then the person who doesn't get the break feels ripped off. I understand.

To the OP, hopefully by the time you board your cruise this slight will have faded. Don't let it ruin your wonderful trip. Bon voyage.

Seems to me it's a matter of consistency. If the cruise line breaks their own rules sometimes but not other times then the person who doesn't get the break feels ripped off. I understand.

To the OP, hopefully by the time you board your cruise this slight will have faded. Don't let it ruin your wonderful trip. Bon voyage.

Well stated. Somehow this seems to elude many people that posted here.

I wish responses such as the “would you give HAL more money if the fare goes up?” were not repeated by multiple people in one thread. Some topics tend toward such “ad nauseum”.:rolleyes:

Perhaps not. As has already been discussed, HAL might only be flexible for passengers who book under a refundable fare. HAL might be consistent in following rules for the nonrefundable fares.

Thus, I ask the following question:

Has anyone here booked under a completely nonrefundable fare and received an OBC after final payment due to a price drop? Has anyone here booked under a completely nonrefundable fare and been able to upgrade cabin after final payment?

Perhaps not. As has already been discussed, HAL might only be flexible for passengers who book under a refundable fare. HAL might be consistent in following rules for the nonrefundable fares.

Has anyone here booked under a completely nonrefundable fare and received an OBC after final payment due to a price drop? Has anyone here booked under a completely nonrefundable fare and been able to upgrade cabin after final payment?

Potentially enlightening questions. Of course there’s a caveat: affirmative response(s) prove something, but no affirmative response proves nothing, due to the limited audience.

Also possibly enlightening, same questions but to those who’s fare was not “completely non refundable” but they received the OBC or upgrade when it was past the date where any refund was allowed for them.

HAL is NOT consistent. There is another thread posted here that clearly states they have upgade after final payment.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=57034532&posted=1#post57034532

HAL is NOT consistent. There is another thread posted here that clearly states they have upgade after final payment.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=57034532&posted=1#post57034532

Ahhh, I see that you have not been reading carefully. I acknowledged that HAL may not be following consistent policies with their refundable fares. I questioned whether HAL's policies are consistent within their completely nonrefundable fares. The individuals who received upgrades in the above-referenced thread gave no indication that they originally booked a under a completely nonrefundable fare.

Yes; I still wonder whether this new completely nonrefundable fare should be called "non-amendable fare" instead of nonrefundable, since it seems that not only will HAL not provide any refund in case of cancellation, but they will also not permit ANY amendments to the original booking, either before or after final payment. If I am wrong in the assumption of no amendments, I would love to hear from someone who booked under this completely nonrefundable fare and actually was permitted to amend the booking in some way without charge.