Weather at Sea

perrmerrcruiser

Here a couple more:

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/ - for live reports on wind and wave heights from buoys

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/*****/marine/zone/hsmz.htm - High seas forecasts in large zones

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/*****/marine/zone/wrdoffmz.htm - Marine forecasts in small zones, drill down areas by area

We cruise in just over 2 weeks and I would like to start monitoring the weather in the areas we will be sailing. Our itinerary has 2 sea days and I don't know the best way to check weather at sea. Does anyone have a good, accurate website they use? Much thanks!

The websites will help - local port TV stations weather and meteorology also just before departing - - -

While on your cruise take up a conversation with the ships meteorology officer (weather officer).

Where are you cruising in these next two weeks ? - lots of chatter here on CC here about weather affected port

and shore excursion cancellations maybe something you may encounter what are your options if any.

Are you signed up on your cruise Roll Call to find out more ?

Right now the big weather cruise situation is working around the Atlantic hurricanes in and near the USA.

The northern Caribbean and Gulf are not immune.

Asia is having some issues too -

Hawaii escaped recently -

Alaska the Baltic and the Mediterranean are safe.

Generally cold water weather cruises are safe and stable - those in warm water areas potentially troublesome.

Where are you cruising in these next two weeks ? - lots of chatter here on CC here about weather affected port and shore excursion cancellations maybe something you may encounter what are your options if any.

Are you signed up on your cruise Roll Call to find out more ?.

The OP is sailing from Vancouver to Los Angeles.

Thanks, all, for the great resources. Yes, we are doing a Pacific Coastal. I pretty much expect cool temps this time of year, but I also really want to look for wind and wave height info, as I tend to get seasick. I wasn't sure where to access the "out at sea" weather and you guys really helped. Thanks a million!

Use "Windy" app, free on Android & iOS, give you a dynamic, zoomable view & 7 days outlook in different regions. It's also accessible via a desktop/mobile browser using windy dot com.

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/index.html with "static"

charts on wave heights for different parts of the world.

As always, for those prone to motion sickness, mid-ship stateroom on lower deck is better. An inexpensive bottle of non-drowsy Meclizine, generic equivalent of Bonine is good, available in OTC strength - check with your PCP/doctor first - carry some for the cruise, skip the long line at Guest Services if sea conditions unexpectedly worsen for their free dispensing.

When you are out at sea tune the cabin TV to I believe channel number 2 the navigation channel.

It will give a ton of information wind temperature heading speed height of the waves at sea and time of day.

With a BIG OLE SHIP like the BLISS your voyage should be very uneventful with relation to the ocean - - -

none of this cork in a bathtub syndrome - the only places with any disturbance of motion should be in the

very aft or forward ends of the ship maneuvering with the thrusters moving the ship sideways in port.

It is amazing the subtle motion of the ship from rest to speed underway.

When leaving Vancouver and passing under the Lions Gate Bridge watch the clearance unlike the Golden

Gate at San Francisco with lots of room - it will be awemazing - you are going to have an interesting trip !