Captain Kate

charlielinda

Kate has had her share of situations that show her skill

Like the boat at sea where she rescued the passengers or trying to get into stormy port that her experienced said not to try again

Good is not in her vocabulary

Great is

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ve seen many posts about how awesome Captain Kate is and others wondering why she gets so much attention.

We have sailed 10+ times and disembarked the Equinox this morning and I thought I’d give my thoughts.

I know all Captains are very qualified but never have I had a Captain that I could remember their name.

I had a few times to observe her. She attended the Cruise Critic party and was very open and brought senior officers — obviously loved her job and crew (and reads Cruise Critic). One night we saw her having a quiet dinner with guests in the Tuscan Grill; and we attended the Captains Corner with her and other officers. Again, she was delightful and has a wonderful story of following her dreams.

My final observation, and know most lasting, was this morning when she was thanking every single passenger, with a handshake or smile, thanking them for cruising with her and hoped to see them again soon. I have never had that happen before and I thought it was so gracious and wonderful

You are so right. She was at just about every event that they had.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I like Capt Kate as we were leaving and she said "I have to remember where I put the keys to the ship so we can get going:" funny lady.

But WARNING: When she is having official photos taken and you choose to not stand in the line but back a ways, the ships photographers get very mean and aggressive. I was pushed away and scolded by several of them. Mind you I was back a ways and not interfering with official cameras or lighting.

Like I said a couple of the other photographers watched and hounded me a lot. I left and came back and darn if they were not looking around for me again. I sneaked a quick photo and ran like crazy.

If only they would not charge so much for photos. Then again I did not need to be photoed with her. oh well. I would like to think Capt Kate would not like to hear how the photographers were mean to passengers by shaking their fingers and blocking me even 50 or 60 feet away.

But WARNING: When she is having official photos taken and you choose to not stand in the line but back a ways, the ships photographers get very mean and aggressive. I was pushed away and scolded by several of them. Mind you I was back a ways and not interfering with official cameras or lighting.

Like I said a couple of the other photographers watched and hounded me a lot. I left and came back and darn if they were not looking around for me again. I sneaked a quick photo and ran like crazy.

If only they would not charge so much for photos. Then again I did not need to be photoed with her. oh well. I would like to think Capt Kate would not like to hear how the photographers were mean to passengers by shaking their fingers and blocking me even 50 or 60 feet away.

Not sure of exactly what you were attempting so maybe my experience is at a different type of event, but last time we went to some type of meet & greet, (don't recall if it was Sr Officers, or something else) she greeted us as we came in and took our phone and handed it to one of the other staff members standing close by and asked them to take a group photo of us with our own device. Then after the first one, she said "stop, now take a funny face one"! Whenever I run across that photo in a gallery it still puts a smile on my face. Looks like we'll see her on our next trip in March if the typical schedules pay out so that will be great.

I like Capt Kate as we were leaving and she said "I have to remember where I put the keys to the ship so we can get going:" funny lady.

Obviously these were official photos the people in line were paying for and you were trying to get freebee’s. I’m sure she’s ‘heard about’ passengers interjecting themselves into the photo op set up for this, and fully understands you were being inappropriate, as most of the rest of us do.

If you want a personal photo of the Capt, take it at the many social events they attend and quit interfering with photo ops. By the way, I doubt very much they put their hands on you and pushed you, since you described how you were ‘back a ways and not interfering’. Kind of silly of you.

Den

I’ve seen many posts about how awesome Captain Kate is and others wondering why she gets so much attention.

We have sailed 10+ times and disembarked the Equinox this morning and I thought I’d give my thoughts.

I know all Captains are very qualified but never have I had a Captain that I could remember their name.

I had a few times to observe her. She attended the Cruise Critic party and was very open and brought senior officers — obviously loved her job and crew (and reads Cruise Critic). One night we saw her having a quiet dinner with guests in the Tuscan Grill; and we attended the Captains Corner with her and other officers. Again, she was delightful and has a wonderful story of following her dreams.

My final observation, and know most lasting, was this morning when she was thanking every single passenger, with a handshake or smile, thanking them for cruising with her and hoped to see them again soon. I have never had that happen before and I thought it was so gracious and wonderful

Totally agree!

Not sure of exactly what you were attempting so maybe my experience is at a different type of event, but last time we went to some type of meet & greet, (don't recall if it was Sr Officers, or something else) she greeted us as we came in and took our phone and handed it to one of the other staff members standing close by and asked them to take a group photo of us with our own device. Then after the first one, she said "stop, now take a funny face one"! Whenever I run across that photo in a gallery it still puts a smile on my face. Looks like we'll see her on our next trip in March if the typical schedules pay out so that will be great.

Our experience was the same.

As cool as Captain Kate is (watching her Instagram page, what other Captain is using dance music by Kartell and hip hop in their Instagram videos? Major cool points and great taste in music:cool::cool::cool:). And she may be entertained reading a thread about her on this site, I seriously............seriously doubt she wants or has the time to post on Cruise Critic.

Obviously these were official photos the people in line were paying for and you were trying to get freebee’s. I’m sure she’s ‘heard about’ passengers interjecting themselves into the photo op set up for this, and fully understands you were being inappropriate, as most of the rest of us do.

If you want a personal photo of the Capt, take it at the many social events they attend and quit interfering with photo ops. By the way, I doubt very much they put their hands on you and pushed you, since you described how you were ‘back a ways and not interfering’. Kind of silly of you.

Den

I don't believe the poster was inappropriate or being silly, trying to get a picture of the captain. I am sure if the Captain had seen her trying hard to take a picture, and being shusshed aside by anybody, she would have absolutely helped. That has been my experience many times.

There is more to a Captain than how one dresses, smiles and shakes hands. On our cruise a few weeks ago, there was a serious medical emergency at sea and it was just amazing how the Captain and crew handled the situation with high winds and seas. Working closely with a medical helicopter which could not land on the ship. That meant a lot to us in that we knew we were in excellent hands if something had happened to us.

You think she's the only one that could handle the situation are you impressed that a woman could? Do you feel less safe when there is a male captain?

After reading all the posts, she sounds more like a cruise director than a captain. That's what a big majority of the posts point to.

That is a big part of what makes her so special; she ably fulfills the duties of Captain while being as charismatic, visible and interactive as a cruise director. I was skeptical of the hype when I sailed on a ship where she was Captain, but she exceeded expectations.

After reading all the posts, she sounds more like a cruise director than a captain. That's what a big majority of the posts point to.

She is a Captain of a 750 million dollar asset of Royal Caribbean Inc. It's a shame I cannot post videos from her Instagram page showing her bringing the Equinox in to Miami at night or the video with her at the wing bridge using bow thrusters and axipods expertly maneuvering a 1,041 ft long 128K Gross Tonnage ship ( apparently she hates when you call it a "boat") out of the harbor. But I guess some would find that kind of stuff "boring".

The fact she has that responsibility and does not walk around like a broom stuck up her butt with a God complex is refreshing. I guess your post is actually a compliment.

Den

I suggest you RE READ my post. I was not trying to get a freebie with HER. I was practically across the room shooting from a distance. And I said that I did not want a photo of me with her. I just was way off to the side. And yes the photographers were very aggressive with me and a few others. So you have the story wrong if you think I was getting a freebie of ME with her. I was not the only one treated meanly by the photographers trying to shoot a photo 50 feet or more away.

She is a Captain of a 750 million dollar asset of Royal Caribbean Inc. It's a shame I cannot post videos from her Instagram page showing her bringing the Equinox in to Miami at night or the video with her at the wing bridge using bow thrusters and axipods expertly maneuvering a 1,041 ft long 128K Gross Tonnage ship ( apparently she hates when you call it a "boat") out of the harbor. But I guess some would find that kind of stuff "boring".

The fact she has that responsibility and does not walk around like a broom stuck up her butt with a God complex is refreshing. I guess your post is actually a compliment.

wow another person who missed the point!!! and needing to be snippy. I think the point was she was extra friendly with passengers and mixing and mingling. Most Captains have 3-4 backups for the bridge and they need time to get experience. So she chooses to use her time away with the passengers than in her room or behind the scenes. Besides who is to say that she might want to show young women and girls on the cruise that you too can become a captain. She might feel like a role model for them.

I have never thought any captains on any of my 26 cruises had a GOD like complex or anything up their butts. What a silly comment

I suggest you RE READ my post. I was not trying to get a freebie with HER. I was practically across the room shooting from a distance. And I said that I did not want a photo of me with her. I just was way off to the side. And yes the photographers were very aggressive with me and a few others. So you have the story wrong if you think I was getting a freebie of ME with her. I was not the only one treated meanly by the photographers trying to shoot a photo 50 feet or more away.

You misunderstood my use of the term ‘personal photo’ which meant your own photo on our own camera, not a photo with her. I figured out you weren’t trying to get a photo with your camera with her in a selfie type attempt. So we both can say the other should re-read each other’s posts.

And thanks for clearing up that you were ‘practically across the room’ and therefore the photographers couldn’t push you away as you stated in the original post which I did read a couple of times since I couldn’t believe a ship staff would act such. And I find it a bit hard to believe they were being aggressive and mean to you, whatever that means, and you were ‘50ft or more away’. Either you were interfering with the photo session/op and they were unhappy and were mean to you, or you were more than 50ft away and that couldn’t be an issue. The two posts dont track.

Den