Italian food

golfer1903

I realize it's a matter of taste but is the restraunt you pay extra for on the breeze good? Better then main dining.

If I dont wanna dress up on dress up nite that that include the restaurants also

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We love it and you don't have to dress up.

I'm Italian but born in the Bronx. I certainly enjoyed the plate of antipasto I had in the Cucina. But after 2 dinners and 1 lunch on different ships, that was the only item on the menu I enjoyed. The pasta sauce was way too sweet for my taste, not like my Grandma's homemade gravy. Chicken parm was huge but like a door stopper or flattened hockey puck.

My take is that if you like the Olive Garden, or have never eaten real southern Italian cooking, Cucina will be okay for you. Me, not so much.

I'm Italian but born in the Bronx. I certainly enjoyed the plate of antipasto I had in the Cucina. But after 2 dinners and 1 lunch on different ships, that was the only item on the menu I enjoyed. The pasta sauce was way too sweet for my taste, not like my Grandma's homemade gravy. Chicken parm was huge but like a door stopper or flattened hockey puck.

My take is that if you like the Olive Garden, or have never eaten real southern Italian cooking, Cucina will be okay for you. Me, not so much.

Wow when food is pretty much what you get at olive garden tells me to avoid it like the plague.

Or a palate for that matter.

I'm certainly not a food critic, thank you. But Grandma's cooking was quite similar to what I got at Italian restaurants in the Bronx back in the 50's & 60's, , so that conditioned me for a certain taste, style and presentation of southern Italian food.

All I'm saying is that the 2 dinners and 1 lunch I had in the Cucina were not at all like anything I ate at home or on Arthur Avenue or other places in the Bronx when I was growing up.

If it pleases your palate, by all means enjoy the Cucina. And if you really like it, order it by the pallet and bring it back to your cabin for further indulgement. I'll be in the MDR or the Steakhouse instead.

This would be my take as well. We have tried it 3 times now and likely won’t do it again unless we are traveling with friends who are interested. If you have local, true mom and pop Italian that you frequent at home, stick with that.

And please note they do for differ is 100% different from the essentially pasta bar set up at lunch. Lunch is not an indicator of the dinner at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

much better than OG by far, and just because someone is from the Bronx, does not mean they have a pallet. We have had some mediocre meals in Italy.

I don't judge food by what is served in New York. They have their own style and think it is the best in the world. It isn't. Whether pizza or parmigiana.

Many of the senior staff on Carnival ships are Sicilian and/or Italian and manage to choke Cucina food down.

For lunch on the Sunshine 3 or 4 times we enjoyed getting a sandwich from the Deli and a salad from the Italian restaurant. It was yummy and avoided the dreaded lido buffet salad bar ;p

As an aside - I guess because we live in the Southern US - when ya'll mentioned Southern Italian cooking all I could picture for a moment was fried okra and green beans swimming in marinara sauce accompanied by a baking powder biscuit and honey. :D:D

Did you really think the food would be like Grandma's?

I think you would have to be Italian to understand.its not like Grandma's that's why I choose not to eat Italian that's not home made.i understand what the op is saying.it maybe good to you but not so for us.try it and figure it out.

I don't judge food by what is served in New York. They have their own style and think it is the best in the world. It isn't. Whether pizza or parmigiana.

Many of the senior staff on Carnival ships are Sicilian and/or Italian and manage to choke Cucina food down.

Do they have a choice?

Do they have a choice?

Actually, yes they do. The officers have their own wardroom for their meal service and the chefs work hard to prepare foods from Italy for them as well as other international fare. The meals are served to the officers. While the officers can eat in public areas more often than not many prefer to use the dining room designated for them rather than a public venue.