The History of Project Edge: Do You Think They Achieved What They Set Out To Do?

vtcruising

I found this interesting video of LLP discussing how she took over the Edge project when she started as CEO. I didn't realize that the Edge originally was going to be a totally different style of ship. She set new goals for the ship when she took over. I know we haven't seen the completed product yet, but to me it looks well-headed toward most of those goals.

It was fun to watch after a year plus of waiting. One tidbit that I didn't know was that the OVC will have 2 stories of uninterrupted glass, which should be amazing. :D

Edited by vtcruising

v - Thank you very much for posting this.

I found it very informative, even though she said it was a 'mid-size' ship, 3k people is just at The Edge of too many for me... LOL

Even given this, I Am still excited to soon have the experience of sailing her...

As a now four (4) year old who will be five (5) when we sail asked 'daddy I love this ship! It is very beautiful. I just don't get why I have to wait until I'm five (5) to be on it. Is it like Disney World where I have to be at a good age for some of the rides?'

Got me laughing big time and more excited for her... it will be her first cruise too..

Thank you again and bon voyage...

We,ll know more after we have the EDGE Experience.

I already know from our last few cruises that they have made Celebrity into a higher level Royal C ship... but it is now definitely part of the same stable.

The X that many of us knew and loved is no longer....but time marches on! We look forward to enjoying the new X!

One should always keep in mind that announcements of new products are always implicating a good portion of marketing and propaganda in the first place.

In my short 47 years of life, I have come across many things that were announced as "revolutionary" or "epic" or "major change". Looking back, the only products who could catch up with that kind of announcement were computers, the Internet and smartphones. Maybe PlayStations etc.

EDGE will be no less and no more than evolution. It´s like once you started fine dining. When you have had a certain dish on top notch level for several times, you will reach a point where there is no "better". Just because "better" is not possible. That is where creativity sets in. That is where things like molecular kitchen come from or strange recipes that you would not have dreamt of.

That is where Celebrity stands now. And I guess that is what we will get - creative evolution.

Thank you for posting. An insightful interview, and sounds true to what I believe still gives Celebrity the 'Edge' (how could I not throw in that pun!) over their competition.

I look forwards to experience one of the Edge class ships although it won’t be anywhere as soon as some of you sailing on the initial cruises!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I already know from our last few cruises that they have made Celebrity into a higher level Royal C ship... but it is now definitely part of the same stable.

The X that many of us knew and loved is no longer....but time marches on! We look forward to enjoying the new X!

Though I don't have the history with X that many here do, it does feel bittersweet. I am at an age where I appreciate the old style cruising (and got a sense of it on X with the SS United States and Ocean Liners restaurants on the M Class and many other features on those ships), but young enough at heart to appreciate some new technology and interesting twists and surprises (with a overall adult atmosphere).

Though I am thoroughly intrigued with the Edge and its mix of new technology and interesting little surprises and the old, with panels from an old ship in one of the restaurants and other touches of old style elegance, my preference would be to not Edgisize all of the other ships so soon. It would be nice to see how things work out and nice to have choices of ships that didn't have the increased separate suite areas, etc. I do understand the desire for some consistency across the brand, but just saying what my preference would be. At least the changes will happen over the next 4 years so there will be some choice for a while. In the meantime, I will focus on the Edge Class and hope that it will be a good fit for us! :D

hcat- I see your point but do not entirely agree. I have sailed RCCL a lot including new ships. They are designed more as amusement parks on hulls. I have not seen this trend on Celebrity.

That is quite true as to the style of ships, and X remains more upscale...but many things organizational things are now the same..for better or worse,

At least we don't have to check pool towels out and back in on X!

I am sailing a fairly new RCCL ship (Harmony) the week before Edge. I will try to do a comparison of the things not directly ship specific between the two. As far as ships go, Harmony and Edge are quite different so I will focus on other things like embarkation, guest relations, etc. I am in a Grand Suite on Harmony and a CS on Edge so I can report on the suite experience of these similar type cabins. Interested to compare Coastal Kitchen to Luminae (or whatever it is called on Edge).