Pacific Princess compared to Oceania Nautica?

kaymoz

Maybe the post about the Terrace was referring to the grill on O that provided the choice of grilled steaks, lobsters, etc each night and not the seating area. Many people rate that nightly dining option very highly.

No the poster commented that there was no outside eating area similar to the Terrace.

Sits empty although I have heard one may be used for club class dining.

Oh dear, does Princess do class dining on such a small ship as the Pacific Princess? Oceania doesn't -- everyone can have the same wonderful food. I expect that for the somewhat lower price, Princess' food won't the same quality ingredients, but additional admin limitations and restrictions might be tough to live with -- when we know it can be otherwise in the same space!

Oh dear, does Princess do class dining on such a small ship as the Pacific Princess? Oceania doesn't -- everyone can have the same wonderful food. I expect that for the somewhat lower price, Princess' food won't the same quality ingredients, but additional admin limitations and restrictions might be tough to live with -- when we know it can be otherwise in the same space!

Club Class dining is for suites and some minisuites. It's a new thing introduced a year or so ago, where a portion of the main dining room is set aside for these cabins. Even on the Pacific they do anytime dining at those tables I believe, and they get one extra item on their menu. Otherwise, its the same menu. Suposedly you get extra special attention there, but for the most part, I haven't had complaints on Princess.

I would think most of the differences are related to the price point. You pay more on Azamara and you get more. It's unfortunate that it sounds as though the OP may be disappointed with a cruise on Pacific Princess. I'm guessing if Azamara had the same itinerary it would be a no-brainer for the OP but, since PA is the ship doing the desired itinerary the OP may bite the bullet and book the cruise anyway. It would just be really unfortunate if they were not happy with the cruise. Every cruise should be a delight.

Sits empty although I have heard one may be used for club class dining.

Was on the Pacific Princess from May through July this year. Club Class dining is held in the main dining room. It is just past the entrance, probably two, maybe three rows of tables on the left as you walk back. I understand you get all the same courses being served to the peons plus one or two special dishes are offered. I've heard on board the biggest difference is the quality of the service.

The problem with setting aside tables for the suite people is that there are that many fewer for 'the peons.' Princess further compounds the "table shortage" by closing one of the specialty restaurants every night, so that takes another 30 or so tables out of commission. The consequence of this is that alot of passengers who wanted early dining in the main dining room can't have it, and will have to wait really late to eat there or just go to the buffet. From seeing the way Oceania Nautica manages the same space, this rationing of the main dining room space seems unnecessary! But maybe Princess found they can shave off a few waiters from their crew roster with this approach.

I am realizing that having seen the same physical ship more or less optimized on our trip last month is going to make it harder for me to stomach the various Princess corner-cutting strategies (and I suspect the dining room space rationing is just one of them) compared to sailing on a totally different ship, where I could just take things at face value.

We liked on Oceania: *open air dining area for buffet patrons, at the very aft end of Deck 9 -- we ate most of our meals there!

Reply for Pacific Princess- no outdoor terrace for dining like Terrace.

OP here: This is probably the most discouraging thing I have read about the PP so far! What does Princess do with the outdoor area aft of the Panorama Buffet on Deck 9? Does it not have tables and chairs for outdoor dining? (as does the Nautica) The self-serve isn't the issue -- I can always run and fetch myself another something or another, but forgoing the outside dining option would make me sad, day after day, since we would be sailing in the middle of the summer when eating outside should be possible on many days.

That is not true, there are definitely dining tables outside the buffet area. There is also wait staff for beverages.

We have done two cruises on the (sadly departed) Ocean Princess. Loved both (14 day Southern Caribbean and 8 day UK). In fact we liked it so much that we are booked on the Pacific Princess UK cruise next year. Oceania, therefore, has appeal. Will be looking for cruises that fit our bucket list! Trouble is, we are Elite on Princess and have all the perks we love!

Rachel, Probably because Oceania is organized to deliver a "luxury" cruiseline product, it seemed they manage to treat everyone pretty special, even non-suite first timers like us. For example, at every portstop, they provided chilled water bottles for guests to take along on their day outings. And the only time we encountered disembarkation waiting time was in St. Petersberg, and that was due to local government border control, not logistics related to ship operation. It was refreshing to experience good service provided graciously for everyone on Oceania Nautica, instead of the practice on so many ships attempting to reserve it piece by piece for special people. I'm not sure what benefits accrue to Princess Elite, but you might find baseline on Oceania is comparable!