Jewel 2018 drydock updates?

Shellbelle28

30 minutes ago, herdingdogmom said:

Just saw a roll call post that the Nov. 12 itinerary has been changed due to "engine troubles".  Any info on what is going on with the Jewel?  I hope it isn't azipod issues like the Star had.

The email from NCL says there is a mechanical issue that affects the ship's speed...…….uh oh - sure sounds like the Star in 2017. 

15 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

You're both very welcome.   

Mr Gut, please look after her for us - hoping she'll still be all shiny and new by Jan.  By my (admittedly fuzzy) reckoning, you've just four and half weeks to go.  Enjoy the countdown and the cruise and stay healthy 🙂

Thank you, I’ll try and take care of her. Five weeks today I’ll be in Burnie. About half way into my cruise, but dead broke after Salamanca Markets.

2 hours ago, herdingdogmom said:

Just saw a roll call post that the Nov. 12 itinerary has been changed due to "engine troubles".  Any info on what is going on with the Jewel?  I hope it isn't azipod issues like the Star had.

Amazing straight out of dry dock to not working.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Amazing straight out of dry dock to not working.

Unfortunately, I know more about the Star's azipod problems than I'd like. When the Star was in drydock in 2015, apparently one of the azipods was re-assembled incorrectly.  It required another drydock to fix.  It was a different issue in 2017 with the Star that had it limp around Southeast Asia to Sydney on a single azipod until they both failed and we were adrift with no propulsion in the Tasman Sea.  Hopefully this issue with the Jewel can be fixed with divers when the ship is in port and will not impact cruises after the Nov. 12 itinerary - fingers crossed NCL has learned from the 2017 Star mess.

Hi everyone, just got off the Jewel and the ship looks amazing. There is still construction going on in the Haven garden villas (area above Moderno) and carpeting in various areas. Our itenarary was changed a couple of times while we were on board. Our arrival to Lagkawi was delayed by 3 hours however the captain extended our departure from that port til 7pm. Captain said that port officials from Lagkawi required the ship to travel at lower speeds due to many fisherman in the area, however an employee had already told us that there were mechanical issues. Our cruise had an overnight stay at Kuala Lumpur which was scheduled to leave on Nov 11th at 7pm however our time was cut short to 8am and we were informed that Singapore officials required us to arrive earlier (ship arrived at singapore on Nov. 11th at 11:45pm).  Other than that public areas look amazing! Enjoy your trip!

• Like 3

Similar to above I got off the ship today and had a wonderful time. The ship is beautiful and the service was great. However I'm upset over NCL lying to us about the issues. As said above our second day in Kaula Lumpur was canceled so we had more time to get back to Singapore. The Captain announced Singapore officials requested the ship return early and they had no other choice but do comply. I wish they were just honest. I'd expect a Front Office Manager directing their staff to make up an excuse like that, but something about the Captain saying it doesnt sit well with me. Just be honest NCL! However most importantly we had a great time and the ship looks great.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 12:19 AM, wm0566687 said:

Our itenarary was changed a couple of times while we were on board. Our arrival to Lagkawi was delayed by 3 hours however the captain extended our departure from that port til 7pm. Captain said that port officials from Lagkawi required the ship to travel at lower speeds due to many fisherman in the area, however an employee had already told us that there were mechanical issues. 

Thanks for the update. Hope they fix the Jewel  soon so your trip isn't further interrupted.

The ship sounds amazing after the refurb. Keep posting and enjoy your trip to Australia.

Hi Bluesea777,

Thanks for sharing.

I am booked to sail on January 5th, so I do hope all issues would be addressed by then.

Anyway, do have a fabulous holiday as you sail to Australia. Continue to enjoy and update us re the new-look ship and facilities.

Cannot wait to board the Jewel in Australia, particularly because I am coming all the way from the Caribbean.

Blue, more pics please if at all possible.

What about the meals thus far?

7 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

We are on the Jewel enroute to Australia ... will try to post more.

0768D215-6DD6-4E5A-8A8E-2AC5D3BCFBA7.jpeg

The pool deck looks good.  Is all the construction in the Haven done now?

What is the update on repairing the mechanical issue?  Is it an azipod that can be fixed at one of your ports? I hope you can get at least one of the GBR days back.