Difference between the Gem and the Dawn

Gershep

The layouts are almost identical between the two ships. I think the Gem is a little bigger.

The Gem has, but the Dawn does not have: the Great Outdoors Buffet/Bar outside seating at the back of the ship on deck 12; Spinnaker Lounge on deck 13 forward with comfy couches and chairs and floor to ceiling windows for an awesome view; two pools and slide on the pool deck; a Haven

The Dawn has, but Gem does not have: stadium seating at the pool deck; Los Lobos Cantina on deck 12; lap pool in the spa

These are the differences I can think of off hand. The Gem is one of my favorite ships because of the great outdoors. I've sailed both ships before and continue to sail them this past year based on them sailing close to home, out of Boston/NYC.

The Dawn was the prototype for the Jewel Class ships she once had front lounge but it was converted to suites several years ago. The Dawn also lacks a Haven but has the largest Garden Villas of the fleet - she was first with them. The Dawn also has a floor to ceiling atrium with glass elevators - this is a favorite entertainment area and there is seating on three decks for it. The Pearl and presume the Gem have a simple two deck high area here.

someone mentioned they are very much alike. I don't see that at all. I have sailed the Jewel class ships about 10 times and the Dawn twice. I find the cabins on the Dawn a little larger or they appear to be The Jewel class ships are larger and a bit newer. The Dawn is a bit harder to find your way around the first few days and is missing, as some have mentioned the great Outdoors, but I like the pool area better.

All ships are somewhat alike. I think we actually prefer the Dawn since her relatively recent make over. We love the crew on the Dawn.

Also the Dawn has Los Lobos, the Mexican restaurant. The food and drinks are top notch.

That is true. I hadn't thought about it. We were not overly impressed with Los Lobos but will give it another try on our next cruise. I don't believe in judging based on one experience. We are picky about Mexican food since we spent most of our lives living in Texas, So. Cal and NM. No matter what the food was not spicy enough for us.

That is true. I hadn't thought about it. We were not overly impressed with Los Lobos but will give it another try on our next cruise. I don't believe in judging based on one experience. We are picky about Mexican food since we spent most of our lives living in Texas, So. Cal and NM. No matter what the food was not spicy enough for us.

I don't think that Los Lobos had fajitas, which are my favorites. O'Sheehans has them, but not quite as good as local Mexican Restaurants.

I don't think that Los Lobos had fajitas, which are my favorites. O'Sheehans has them, but not quite as good as local Mexican Restaurants.

Los Lobos isn't Tex-Mex. I think of it more as upscale Mexican inspired food. We enjoy eating there, but enjoy the bar even more. It is small and especially at the beginning of the cruise very quiet. It takes a while for folks to discover it. They have fun cocktails and the bartender is usually great. You can get the guacamole made bar side as well.

Los Lobos isn't Tex-Mex. I think of it more as upscale Mexican inspired food. We enjoy eating there, but enjoy the bar even more. It is small and especially at the beginning of the cruise very quiet. It takes a while for folks to discover it. They have fun cocktails and the bartender is usually great. You can get the guacamole made bar side as well.

and I think of it as more like: true Spanish food than anything Mexican. I have eaten many places in Mexico. Los Lobos isnt like what we have had and I not talking about only in a Mexican border stop I will add. We have spent time in Spain on a few trips. That is why I say it is closer to Spanish than Mexican food.

and I think of it as more like: true Spanish food than anything Mexican. I have eaten many places in Mexico. Los Lobos isnt like what we have had and I not talking about only in a Mexican border stop I will add. We have spent time in Spain on a few trips. That is why I say it is closer to Spanish than Mexican food.

I've lived in Texas 31 years and been to Mexico scores of times. Los Lobos IS Tex-Mex. Mex-Mex is completely different. Spanish, not even remote. BTW, it's amazingly good. Going on the Dawn in December and can't wait.