Curling iron onboard

Hobbes67

A lot of very useful information here. I have a European flatiron and will now be on the lookout for a European curling iron as well.

I can’t help but think that all we discuss on this thread must be similar to what was of concern many years ago with regards to hair dryers.

Now there is hardly any hotel / ship etc that doesn’t issue one.

DId you purchase in Europe? Or get it on (for example) Amazon?

I am like many women. While I don't spend a lot of time on my hair, make-up, I do like to look neat and well groomed.

Baf

I purchased a dual voltage curling iron on Amazon for about $20. I brought it on my Avalon cruise. No problem. Just used an adapter plug. I would never go on a vacation without it. I look like a drowned rat without a little help from the curling iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Power is a function of the square of the voltage, so for the same setting (resistance) power is 4 times as much on 220 versus 110 volts. A typical hairdryer on high uses about 1200 watts; if left set to that high position it will attempt to consume 4800 watts (4 times as much power) and will probably blow the circuit breaker before starting a fire. Curling irons use considerably less power, but this may actually increase their danger if used improperly; an unattenuated 110v curling iron plugged into 220v is unlikely to draw enough power to blow the circuit breaker but will significantly exceed the power it is designed for and is likely to catch fire.

Issues like this and the reality that no cruise line can afford to test everyone's appliances for any hidden defects has made many (in my experience) Ocean cruise lines outlaw these appliances.

I was on an ocean cruise with an electrical fire the floor below. A serious matter.

I guess that river ship lines figure that they can hit the riverbank and offload the passengers before the ship is seriously engulfed. Not sure that this is realistic.

A blessing in disguise - our first river cruise years ago, we landed in Munich and our luggage to a ride to Budapest. First thing on the shopping list was a curling iron - so I have had a European curling for all of these years and it was the best purchase I made that trip! I would definitely recommend that the ladies purchase one on their trip and be safe!

Cole

A blessing in disguise - our first river cruise years ago, we landed in Munich and our luggage to a ride to Budapest. First thing on the shopping list was a curling iron - so I have had a European curling for all of these years and it was the best purchase I made that trip! I would definitely recommend that the ladies purchase one on their trip and be safe!

Cole

yes will definitely hit a store to get one. Rather do that than take a risk

baf

yes will definitely hit a store to get one. Rather do that than take a risk

baf

Very smart. using an adapter on these is not a great idea even if they are dual voltage, and with a European one, it will be safe.

I always travel with my curling iron. It was purchased in North America (I live in the Toronto area) and automatically adjusts to whatever voltage it is plugged into. The same as my phone, tablet etc. I only need a plug adapter - as I do with all of my electronics. This is not a new item --> I replace my curling iron about every 5 years (they eventually wear out...) - and my last one was the same.

Fran

many (in my experience) Ocean cruise lines outlaw these appliances.

Which ocean cruise lines outlaw curling irons and hair straighteners? We cruise mostly on Royal and Celebrity and they allow them (unless something has changed that I'm not aware of; I don't use either)

Which ocean cruise lines outlaw curling irons and hair straighteners? We cruise mostly on Royal and Celebrity and they allow them (unless something has changed that I'm not aware of; I don't use either)

Regent for example don't actually ban them but if you start tripping fuses they will get confiscated...

"Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat iron, shavers, curling irons, are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they may be confiscated and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark."

I listed the ones I know first hand. I've heard of others but no first hand experience so I did not list others. I am an electrical engineer and know why responsible lines wish to be cautious. They have no control over poorly designed, poorly made, flawed or broken appliances that could unintentionally draw too much current and potentially cause a fire.

Also, Viking RIVER which is anything but "small" does not allow curling irons.

Also, Viking RIVER which is anything but "small" does not allow curling irons.

Yep, that was the first post that started this thread ;p

Viking might have the most boats in the river cruise market, but I think compared to Carnival or RCI, in terms of passengers, they'd still be considered "small". But that's neither here nor there.

Viking (river and sea) are reported not to allow curling irons. Other lines allow them - some are reported here but this is not a comprehensive list.

I always travel with my curling iron. It was purchased in North America (I live in the Toronto area) and automatically adjusts to whatever voltage it is plugged into....
That sounds interesting. I was aware these existed. Can you provide a brand name and where it might be purchased?

I listed the ones I know first hand. I've heard of others but no first hand experience so I did not list others. I am an electrical engineer and know why responsible lines wish to be cautious. .

I respect that, I was just curious when you referred to "many" ocean cruise lines not allowing them, but only listed 2, neither of which have much of a market share in the ocean cruising business. It seemed to be a bit misleading IMO, as it makes it sound like the ban is the norm in ocean cruising. If Carnival, Princess, Royal and Celebrity all banned them that would be a different thing.

That sounds interesting. I was aware these existed. Can you provide a brand name and where it might be purchased?

Mine is an Ion. I bought it at Sally Beauty (they sell hair and nail products....). It was probably mid-range from a price perspective.

Fran

Yes, Avalon allows curling irons, flat irons and the like. They even have some at the front desk if you need to borrow one. This is a huge point of difference in choosing a river cruise line. I don’t think that men or those fortunate women with wash and go hair can appreciate that most women wish to look like they are on a deluxe vacation and not an escapee form intensive care.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]your awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk