Signature Beverage Package drink limit (alcohol vs non-alcohol)

killsport

Good afternoon, all. I've read through a number of posts and am still confused on the 15 drink limit. If it is only counted for alcoholic beverages, I'm MORE than fine. However, if it is all drinks, then I'll probably hit the limit frequently. Or spend brain cells trying to make sure I stay below the limit, which reduces my vacation relaxation quotient.

When cruising Celebrity, my general intake is:

2 specialty coffees at breakfast

2 waters/vitamin waters in the morning

2 alcoholic beverages at lunch

1 specialty coffee in the afternoon

3 waters/vitamin waters in the afternoon

2 pre-dinner drinks

2 bottles of Perrier/Peligrino at dinner

3 glasses of wine at dinner

2-4 alcoholic drinks in the evening

2 bottles of water in the evening

That's 10 non-alcoholic drinks (basically waters and specialty coffee) plus 9-11 alcoholic drinks.

And yes, I go to the bathroom a lot if I don't sweat it out :D And no, I do NOT drink like this at home --- only while on vacation.

Any REAL CONFIRMATION (one way or the other) on the policy throughout the fleet would be very helpful in guiding me towards staying on Celebrity or trying HAL (thanks to their smoking policy changes). Happy Sailing!

Good afternoon, all. I've read through a number of posts and am still confused on the 15 drink limit. If it is only counted for alcoholic beverages, I'm MORE than fine. However, if it is all drinks, then I'll probably hit the limit frequently. Or spend brain cells trying to make sure I stay below the limit, which reduces my vacation relaxation quotient.

When cruising Celebrity, my general intake is:

2 specialty coffees at breakfast

2 waters/vitamin waters in the morning

2 alcoholic beverages at lunch

1 specialty coffee in the afternoon

3 waters/vitamin waters in the afternoon

2 pre-dinner drinks

2 bottles of Perrier/Peligrino at dinner

3 glasses of wine at dinner

2-4 alcoholic drinks in the evening

2 bottles of water in the evening

That's 10 non-alcoholic drinks (basically waters and specialty coffee) plus 9-11 alcoholic drinks.

And yes, I go to the bathroom a lot if I don't sweat it out :D And no, I do NOT drink like this at home --- only while on vacation.

Any REAL CONFIRMATION (one way or the other) on the policy throughout the fleet would be very helpful in guiding me towards staying on Celebrity or trying HAL (thanks to their smoking policy changes). Happy Sailing!

You could eliminate 7 or so drinks from this list if you just drink water from the tap. Use a refillable water bottle.

The 15 beverage limit is alcoholic beverages only. This is new. It used to be a hard limit on all beverages.

I have no first hand experience on this, but others have reported this change as well. So you may not need to worry :D. See this thread including the second video in the first post: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2677453

Except all the "ample reporting" I have read is that calling HAL gets you old information which contradicts the current information from Beverage Managers and bartenders.

I'm with filling your own bottle (you can buy one in the shops) in the Lido -- it is either distilled or RO, the same as many bottled waters, after all.

Kay -- it is $9/drink or less. There is a good variety of wine by the glass that is included, if you are not particularly sophisticated in your tastes! I for example, can drink shiraz, zinfandel, malbec etc interchangeably, and had no problems finding something to have with dinner (there was one white zinfandel I'd have for fish/chicken).

CC (HAL board) has numerous wine drinkers that find the $9 limit too lacking and upgrade to the Elite package that covers everything up to $15/glass.

Although we are also 3*, I have not researched and calculated either beverage package vs wine discount, although I did look into 3* wine packages vs bringing wine and paying corkage (hint: it is a draw).

I think that each cruise (and each cruiser) will have a different answer for the threshold of beverage package VS alternatives. Or maybe I'm just OCD...

I will be making my first cruise on the Oosterdam to Alaska Sept, 2019. Can someone tell me what the drink packages cost? I usually have wine with dinner and cocktails sometimes in afternoon. I want strong black coffee when I first get up I the morning. Is there small coffee makers in the cabins or do I have to rely on room service? I will be in a balcony cabin if that makes a difference.

I will be making my first cruise on the Oosterdam to Alaska Sept, 2019. Can someone tell me what the drink packages cost? I usually have wine with dinner and cocktails sometimes in afternoon. I want strong black coffee when I first get up I the morning. Is there small coffee makers in the cabins or do I have to rely on room service? I will be in a balcony cabin if that makes a difference.

The regular drink package that is being talked about here is $50 pp plus the service charge. I believe if you order it pre cruise on line, it is $5 cheaper. Both parties in the cabin have to order it.

You don't have to get the package - you can pay as you go or buy a beverage card.

No coffee maker in balcony cabins. There is coffee 24/7 in the Lido and you can get great coffee (at a cost) at Explorations Cafe and, of course, you can order room service.

The regular drink package that is being talked about here is $50 pp plus the service charge. I believe if you order it pre cruise on line, it is $5 cheaper. Both parties in the cabin have to order it.

You don't have to get the package - you can pay as you go or buy a beverage card.

No coffee maker in balcony cabins. There is coffee 24/7 in the Lido and you can get great coffee (at a cost) at Explorations Cafe and, of course, you can order room service.

Thank you for your help. I will be alone in my cabin on the cruise. My friends will have a separate cabin. Is there a charge for having room service bring coffee to your cabin? Maybe a silly question but never having been on a cruise before I don't know how things like this work on a ship.

Thank you for your help. I will be alone in my cabin on the cruise. My friends will have a separate cabin. Is there a charge for having room service bring coffee to your cabin? Maybe a silly question but never having been on a cruise before I don't know how things like this work on a ship.

Not a silly question. No charge but tips are appreciated. Just fill out your breakfast card and hang it on your door before you turn in. We often get a 4 person pot of strong coffee (we write "strong" on the breakfast card) and light stuff (pastries, fruit) in the am to get us motivated and then head to the MDR for 2nd breakfast. :D But you can order anything and any quantity (within reason) on the breakfast card and even write in requests. If they can accommodate your request, they usually will. Very little in the way of room service, outside of alcohol, sodas, and stuff from specialty restaurants, is for charge and it will always be delineated on the menu. (y)

Hi Zuzanna, and welcome to Cruise Critic!

Here are the beverage packages with on-board prices. Signature and Elite packages are $5 less bought ahead of time (not sure if there is any reduction in the Quench non-alcoholic price). As far as allowing for the 15% gratuity, you can ignore it in your considerations (although not in your budget), as the same percentage will be added to all beverages bought on board.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Beverage-Packages.pdf

All but the very highest end specialty liqueurs and cordials are also covered by the Signature Pkg.

Here are other links to beverage menus to help with your decision:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-beverage-menus

Remember the package must be bought for every day that has a night of your cruise. Espresso drinks run <$3 for 12oz, <$4 for 16oz. For "boat drinks" see the Pool Bars menu -- they run $8-9 unless you want it made with top-shelf liquor. If you want a drink that is over $9, you pay the full price, not the difference.

If you are buying "by the drink" you may opt to buy a bottle of wine (which the beverage stewards will keep for you, or you can take back to room) or a glass that cost more than the $9 cutoff for the SBP.

What you describe doesn't sound like the SBP is going to save you money (depending on HOW much wine and HOW many cocktails of course!). Now, if you are trying to decide between Explore4 and a "restricted fare", that's another set of calculations!

Oh and by the way, if you are sailing on the 1st or 8th, someone has started Roll Calls for those trips. Very quiet so far, just the start ups, but you can find them here:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=21&ship_id=283&sailing_date=201909

This is where you will arrange to meet people on board and possibly do things off ship together!

Thanks for the reply and pictures. I saw on there you can buy the beverage package the 1st or 2nd day of the cruise, if you purchase on the 2nd day do they prorate it by one day? Or are you still purchasing for the entire week?

thank you!

Hi Zuzanna, and welcome to Cruise Critic!

Here are the beverage packages with on-board prices. Signature and Elite packages are $5 less bought ahead of time (not sure if there is any reduction in the Quench non-alcoholic price). As far as allowing for the 15% gratuity, you can ignore it in your considerations (although not in your budget), as the same percentage will be added to all beverages bought on board.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Beverage-Packages.pdf

All but the very highest end specialty liqueurs and cordials are also covered by the Signature Pkg.

Here are other links to beverage menus to help with your decision:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-beverage-menus

Remember the package must be bought for every day that has a night of your cruise. Espresso drinks run <$3 for 12oz, <$4 for 16oz. For "boat drinks" see the Pool Bars menu -- they run $8-9 unless you want it made with top-shelf liquor. If you want a drink that is over $9, you pay the full price, not the difference.

If you are buying "by the drink" you may opt to buy a bottle of wine (which the beverage stewards will keep for you, or you can take back to room) or a glass that cost more than the $9 cutoff for the SBP.

What you describe doesn't sound like the SBP is going to save you money (depending on HOW much wine and HOW many cocktails of course!). Now, if you are trying to decide between Explore4 and a "restricted fare", that's another set of calculations!

Thanks for the reply and pictures. I saw on there you can buy the beverage package the 1st or 2nd day of the cruise, if you purchase on the 2nd day do they prorate it by one day? Or are you still purchasing for the entire week?

thank you!

Based on actual experience of buying the package the second day - I'd definitely get it on day one. You can spend a lot of time trying to get the adjustments made if you wait.

There is no advantage buying the beverage package on the 2nd day. It is not pro-rated, but you will have to negotiate with the front desk to get your first day drinks reversed. But remember, if you buy the SBP onboard, you pay a $5 per day penalty, ($44.95 per day, vs $49.95, both prices plus 15%). If you intend to buy it, you should purchase it online, before your cruise and save $5 per day, per person. If your intent is to purchase onboard to utilize some of your free HAL provided cabin credits, then you will pay the $5 per day penalty. Hal would rather you use your own money to purchase the package online, because the markup for alcohol onboard is much lower than other onboard purchased items like Spa treatments, Art purchases, and shore excursions.