Pool Capacity?

sunbrookgal

OK, just off Mega Ship. Pool Capacity on her is 21 in each pool. Does anyone know what the main pool capacity is on any Viking Ocean ship? The Mega Ship has a sign with stated capacity. Too bad that 97 friends and family members didn't listen. Yes 97 in one of the 2 main pools.

Also, from what I am led to believe, is that the Viking pools are deeper than most cruise ship pools with no shallow end. I saw somewhere that the depth end to end is 5' 8" so if you are not holding on to the side, you are most likely treading water unless you are 6' 6". This applies to the main pool and the infinity pool in the review I saw.

Also, from what I am led to believe, is that the Viking pools are deeper than most cruise ship pools with no shallow end. I saw somewhere that the depth end to end is 5' 8" so if you are not holding on to the side, you are most likely treading water unless you are 6' 6". This applies to the main pool and the infinity pool in the review I saw.

On the Viking Sky the pool was 3 feet 12 inches in the center of the pool. (that's 4 feet for the less mathematically inclined)

Steven aka tampatramp from San Francisco

2137311d-fd3e-4b2f-b0f8-dad513d9ca36

Biggest problem with the pool on Viking was lack of shade. Usually very few people but not very large.

We didn’t find comfortable shade on the Vikingnocean ships. There are shaded areas aft on the promenade deck but the space is wasted on tables and chairs. We never saw anyone sitting at the tables. Lounge chairs are needed.

Also, there are ventilation problems on the pool deck. No air circulates when the roof is closed. We noted an unexplained propensity to keep the roof closed.

OK, just off Mega Ship. Pool Capacity on her is 21 in each pool. Does anyone know what the main pool capacity is on any Viking Ocean ship? The Mega Ship has a sign with stated capacity. Too bad that 97 friends and family members didn't listen. Yes 97 in one of the 2 main pools.

So what (if anything) were the pool stewards/life guards (if any) doing?

Lounging by a pool is fine and dandy, but numbers of people in a pool and their behaviour (eg obeying stuff like no jumping etc). Swimming pools are a wonderful invention, and a really lovely facility; but it's not simply fun, it's also dangerous. Messing around is stupid in the extreme.

We were on the Orion in July (Italy and hot). The few afternoons we went to the pool there were maybe 10 people at once in the water, mostly standing by the edge with drinks. It ranged from about 4 feet to maybe 6 feet. The infinity pool was usually more crowded, although it’s a smaller pool. We were hoping to give it a try but stuck with the regular pool and the spa. The spa was our favorite place for afternoons.

Ok, I give up - what is the 'blue nose' ceremony? Interested to know.

800px-blue_nose_cert.jpg

In Naval tradition there are 'societies' for lack of a better word, that sailors can join when they 'cross a line' or other significant events

cross the Arctic Circle (and participate in the initiation) and you are "Blue Nose"

Equator - Shellback

Dateline - Golden Dragon

Equator at the Date Line - Golden Shellback

(not an all inclusive list)

There are 'initiation ceremonies' associated with these monikers .... the practice is OLD but gained a significant foothold during WWII where the fun was a welcome break from war patrol

Today, what a WWII sailor had to endure to 'be initiated' would be considered hazing. This does not mean ships don't do 'it' anymore, but the Captain (as I was) is involved to ensure things 'stay inside bounds'

On our VO trip up beyond the Arctic Circle they did have a blue nose initiation event <did on my trip ... subject to Master's decision I'm sure>. You are invited but not required to attend. I'd mention that having sailed on VO up north, the ceremony they do is tame by "sailor" standards, but fun.

/s/ blue nose, shellback, golden dragon,

One of the line crossing ceremonies ....."blue nose" is usually reserved for crossing the Arctic Circle

Which Midnight Sun does and now Northern Lights will be doing come January. Now that will be a blue nose ceremony that I want to hear about! I wonder if it will also count for the Polar Bear Club. BRRRRR!