Insurance for Canadians?

Wendy The Wanderer

Hello, hoping you can give me advice.

The only U.S. underwriter that my TA knows about has declined to cover us for our 2021 WC. Their "pre-existing exemption waiver" insurance needs to be applied to the deposit and paid within 20 days of deposit, which is looming. But that's a no-go.

I looked at a couple of online carriers here in Canada, and can't see one that covers such an expensive trip, and so far out.

Have any of you fellow Canadians had any luck in that regard? I've tried AIG and Manulife.

We experienced similar results while trying to get insurance for our 2020 WC. Our local broker tried a number of companies, but none would accept the risk, due to cost of the deposit and length of time in advance of cruise. Also tried the online provider and they provided a similar response.

Since we are booked with Viking, we took out their insurance. It has reasonable coverage for everything but medical, so we will pick up a supplemental medical policy just before we depart.

We experienced similar results while trying to get insurance for our 2020 WC. Our local broker tried a number of companies, but none would accept the risk, due to cost of the deposit and length of time in advance of cruise. Also tried the online provider and they provided a similar response.

Since we are booked with Viking, we took out their insurance. It has reasonable coverage for everything but medical, so we will pick up a supplemental medical policy just before we depart.

Heidi, thanks for chiming in. I had thought of you because of your posts on this board. I've got several inquiries out, and have read the thread that was alluded to above, and actually posted to it today.

Regent insurance is not reasonable in price at all. It's 20% of the cost of the cruise.

Heidi, thanks for chiming in. I had thought of you because of your posts on this board. I've got several inquiries out, and have read the thread that was alluded to above, and actually posted to it today.

Regent insurance is not reasonable in price at all. It's 20% of the cost of the cruise.

Wow - 20% is ridiculous. Viking were about 6.5%, which I thought was fairly reasonable for cancel for any reason, at 20 months out and elimination of the pre-existing conditions clause.

Locally, I didn't try RBC, but did visit our usual broker and another broker in town. Received the same response from both, in that no company they dealt with would even provide a quote. Got exactly the same response when I contacted the online broker.

Good luck in finding coverage, at reasonable cost.

Wow - 20% is ridiculous. Viking were about 6.5%, which I thought was fairly reasonable for cancel for any reason, at 20 months out and elimination of the pre-existing conditions clause.

Locally, I didn't try RBC, but did visit our usual broker and another broker in town. Received the same response from both, in that no company they dealt with would even provide a quote. Got exactly the same response when I contacted the online broker.

Good luck in finding coverage, at reasonable cost.

Wow, that's very reasonable! Will report back if and when I find something. I have a feeling we won't find one with the pre-existing exclusion waiver. I mainly want to make sure I can buy a policy at final payment, which is July 2020, although I'd love to get the waiver too, and was willing to pay for that now by insuring my deposit, which otherwise wouldn't be necessary or desirable.

And I just want to add that I'm betting you're younger than us, so perhaps it's cheaper. We're in our 70's.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

• 2 months later...

Just a follow-up.  This situation has NOT been resolved.  I've had an agent searching for coverage for us, and so far all they've come up with is one carrier that will indemnify us for $30K each.  This is less than half of the price, not much more than a third really.  All the major companies have been asked.  One more is still pondering.

I'm starting to think we made a mistake booking with Regent.  Viking is looking more attractive right now with its insurance coverage, although the downsides would be: presumably have to pay to ensure the whole trip right up front, even though we would not be in  penalty period for some time.  Would Heidi or other on Viking care to comment?  How far in advance did you have to pay for the cruise?  And when did you have to pay the insurance, and was it for the whole amount?  The former question is key for us--Viking is known for demanding payment long in advance.  This would skewer our current cash flow plans for cruising in 2021.

Other downsides: no included laundry/drycleaning, medical visits nor extensive free excursions.  And would have to pay slightly more for a comparable-sized room.  Standard balcony is smaller than we've booked on Mariner; the PH Veranda on Viking is slightly larger, but more money as I've said.  Drinks package same, internet same, gratuities and luggage shipping included on both, etc.

Sigh.  I really prefer to stick with Regent, but...

Wendy,

Such a headache. I hope you are able to stick with Regent but I certainly understand why you are looking at Viking. I am puzzled at the challenge Canadian's are having on getting insurance. You have to ask yourself why can Viking have better insurance coverage then Regent. I have a Canadian sister in law eyeing a WC down the road. This issue will sway   their choice of cruise line. 

I am still keeping my fingers crossed. We were looking forward to cruising with you guys.

Lisa

On 12/20/2018 at 11:00 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Just a follow-up.  This situation has NOT been resolved.  I've had an agent searching for coverage for us, and so far all they've come up with is one carrier that will indemnify us for $30K each.  This is less than half of the price, not much more than a third really.  All the major companies have been asked.  One more is still pondering.

I'm starting to think we made a mistake booking with Regent.  Viking is looking more attractive right now with its insurance coverage, although the downsides would be: presumably have to pay to ensure the whole trip right up front, even though we would not be in  penalty period for some time.  Would Heidi or other on Viking care to comment?  How far in advance did you have to pay for the cruise?  And when did you have to pay the insurance, and was it for the whole amount?  The former question is key for us--Viking is known for demanding payment long in advance.  This would skewer our current cash flow plans for cruising in 2021.

Other downsides: no included laundry/drycleaning, medical visits nor extensive free excursions.  And would have to pay slightly more for a comparable-sized room.  Standard balcony is smaller than we've booked on Mariner; the PH Veranda on Viking is slightly larger, but more money as I've said.  Drinks package same, internet same, gratuities and luggage shipping included on both, etc.

Sigh.  I really prefer to stick with Regent, but...

Wendy,

The Viking 2020 WC still has the same offers and booking terms and conditions, as when we booked back in April. Final payment is stated as July 2nd 2019.

For a DV cabin, we paid about CAN $ 8K for the Viking insurance.

Wendy - just noted your 2nd question.

For deposit, we paid CAN $10 K each + the insurance cost. I believe the new T & C require a deposit of 20%, by Dec 31st, with final payment on July 2nd. To cancel before final payment it will cost CAN $1,000 pp. However, we should get that back from the insurance.

19 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Wendy - just noted your 2nd question.

For deposit, we paid CAN $10 K each + the insurance cost. I believe the new T & C require a deposit of 20%, by Dec 31st, with final payment on July 2nd. To cancel before final payment it will cost CAN $1,000 pp. However, we should get that back from the insurance.

Thanks for the info, useful for comparisons.  So final payment in this case is approximately 18 months out. But insurance is quite reasonable.  Initial cancellation is higher than Regent, C$650 pp.  We don't really want to cruise in 2020; actually we would love to, but our cashflow planning is based on 2021 at the moment, alas, and we would not be planning to pay out this amount six months from now, but 18 months from now, as Regent collects final 6 months prior to the cruise.

After the holidays I'm going to crunch the numbers and see if I can do a risk analysis of all of this. 

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Thanks for the info, useful for comparisons.  So final payment in this case is approximately 18 months out. But insurance is quite reasonable.  Initial cancellation is higher than Regent, C$650 pp.  We don't really want to cruise in 2020; actually we would love to, but our cashflow planning is based on 2021 at the moment, alas, and we would not be planning to pay out this amount six months from now, but 18 months from now, as Regent collects final 6 months prior to the cruise.

After the holidays I'm going to crunch the numbers and see if I can do a risk analysis of all of this. 

Wendy,

The 2021 WC is 140 days from Los Angeles to London, with a brilliant itinerary in the Meddy.

Current deposit is 10% payable within 7 days of booking and final payment on June 15th 2020, which is 6.5 months before departure. 

17 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Wendy,

The 2021 WC is 140 days from Los Angeles to London, with a brilliant itinerary in the Meddy.

Current deposit is 10% payable within 7 days of booking and final payment on June 15th 2020, which is 6.5 months before departure. 

Thanks Heidi, interesting!  Yes, it is a good itinerary (and I'd looked at it before.)  A bit longer, so pricier of course, but I will include this in my calculations.  Particular ports that differ from current booking that interest me:  Manila, Vietnam, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Moorea (favorite place in the world), Cairo; and ports that in common with current itinerary that I'm glad to see: Singapore, Istanbul; places not on this itinerary: Pago Pago, Easter Island,  Greek Islands, perhaps others.

Anyways, a good data point to have.    David says he's not interested at all in Viking, so there would be some persuasion.  Neither of us were terribly impressed by the thread on CC about the first world cruise--sounded like there was good and bad.

BTW, are they dealing with you in Canadian dollars?

p.s. How did you find out the payment date for this cruise, by asking Viking I presume?  I don't see it under the Terms.

-

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

BTW, are they dealing with you in Canadian dollars?

p.s. How did you find out the payment date for this cruise, by asking Viking I presume?  I don't see it under the Terms.

-

Affirmative, all Viking pricing is in CAN $, they don't even offer other options.

For the 2021 WC, under "Cruises", select "Find a Cruise" and select Jan 2021. Scroll down to select the 140 day 2021 WC. Once you select the cruise, select "Dates & Pricing". On that page, scroll to the bottom of the page and you will find a link to the specific Booking Terms & Conditions, applicable for that cruise.

If you have any questions, drop me an email, which is listed on our blog's home page.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, all Viking pricing is in CAN $, they don't even offer other options.

For the 2021 WC, under "Cruises", select "Find a Cruise" and select Jan 2021. Scroll down to select the 140 day 2021 WC. Once you select the cruise, select "Dates & Pricing". On that page, scroll to the bottom of the page and you will find a link to the specific Booking Terms & Conditions, applicable for that cruise.

If you have any questions, drop me an email, which is listed on our blog's home page.

Okay, I'd looked there, but had missed it.  Thanks.