Sugar-Free items

Mustang Nut

Type II diabetic here. We will be sailing on the Grand Princess in a couple of weeks. Just curious if anyone knows how the sugar-free choices are? I'm talking beyond desserts . I means things like S/F syrup for breakfast, jellies etc... I'm very good about my sugar intake and A1C count and want to stay on track. Silly question, but thanks in advance.

Type II diabetic here. We will be sailing on the Grand Princess in a couple of weeks. Just curious if anyone knows how the sugar-free choices are? I'm talking beyond desserts . I means things like S/F syrup for breakfast, jellies etc... I'm very good about my sugar intake and A1C count and want to stay on track. Silly question, but thanks in advance.

On our cruise last month I don't think I have ever seen so many choices for SF items.

I can't give you a detailed list but I hope you will be pleasantly surprised.

In the dining room, buffet, and the International Cafe. :)

I have always seen sugar free syrup in the buffet.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We have used sugar free syrup on the ships .However ,I have never asked for the sugar free breakfast jams or jellies . We will ask the next time on a Princess ship ;which unfortunately will not be until our Hawaii cruise on Star ,Dec 4 ,2019 . We will have 3 HAL cruises prior to that Hawaii sailing

On the Grand, there is sugar free jam and syrup in the main dining room at breakfast, you need to ask for it. Always a sugar free dessert on the menu in the MDR. I'll be on the Grand this Sunday, will update you if I find anything else. Have a great trip.

I am also Type 2. Must have missed the "tons" of sugar free stuff. They had only 2 diet pops avail. Diet Coke and Diet Sprite. Oh, and Seltzer water. I did see the syrups and jams at the Buffet and they had about 2 or 3 desert offerings also. MDR always had a SF offering too but usually an odd dessert like Pineapple cake or something with fruit in it (never low carb and fruit has alot of sugar).

IC had a couple offerings one day but didn't see that alot.

FYI it wasn't a silly question. Helps to know before you go. :)

They have a sugar free dessert but not the best.

While I am not diabetic, I am required to really watch my weight. Desserts are pretty subjective. Personally most of their desserts , regular or sugar free look better than they taste. However there are always several sugar free desserts offered, ask about sugar free ice cream where they offer the soft serve as well as the dining room, I believe I have seen persons ask for sugar free items at afternoon tea, and they always have fresh fruit available in the buffet. We always take several pieces for our room . (Years ago they offered a sheet where you could order a bowl of selected fruit for your room, not anymore- so we just get it ourselves from the buffet.). Enjoy! You will have many choices.

Being a type 2 diabetic, I also would like to see some sugar free ice cream available at the buffet and in the MDR. I realize that sugar free food is not best for anyone who is watching carbs and sugar intake, it is still better than “regular “ food. It is hard enough not to snack while onboard, it is nice to have alternatives :D

I'm sure that the diabetics posting here are aware that there is a difference between "sugar free" and "no added sugar." Many of the desserts are actually "no added sugar." This means that they may contain quite a bit of fructose from the fruits used in the preparation. Depending on your reason for reducing sugars, this difference can be quite important or not matter to you at all.

Stick to meat and salads. The sugar free desserts are made using sugar alcohols = sucrolose, malitol , sorbitol, etc. Sometimes you're better off eating the real thing. If you eat the cream desserts like mousse, you are okay. But, if they have a crust on the bottom, there's the carbs. Only eat the cream and toss the crust. Just because it says "sugar free" doesn't mean that it's "carb free." Count your carbs. Just because it says sugar free, doesn't mean it won't spike your blood sugar. Look at the glycemic scale for sugar spiked foods.

While I am not diabetic, I am required to really watch my weight. Desserts are pretty subjective. Personally most of their desserts , regular or sugar free look better than they taste. However there are always several sugar free desserts offered, ask about sugar free ice cream where they offer the soft serve as well as the dining room.

If you are trying to watch your weight, then sugar-free desserts may not be for you. Sugar-free does not mean low calorie. Many suger-free desserts are very caloric due to the other ingredients such as cooking oils.