Smart Casual Guidelines

TSMAINE

No shorts are not to be worn in the main dining room, they are ok in the buffet.

Long trousers in the main dining room please :D

Maybe shorts are not too be worn in MDR. However, saw them in MDR on Formal Nights. No one said a word. The staff when asked, just shook their heads and walked away.

I believe if you have rules, enforce them.

Are golf shorts allowed for men under the smart casual guidelines for dining in the main dining rooms? Typical outfit would be a polo and golf shorts or a button up short sleeve and shorts. Or are long pants required? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

On non gala nights shorts are fine.

Maybe shorts are not too be worn in MDR. However, saw them in MDR on Formal Nights. No one said a word. The staff when asked, just shook their heads and walked away.

I believe if you have rules, enforce them.

Somewhat difficult when the cruise line say Suggested Dress but i do agree with you.

Just been on a Royal cruise after many years away and they say No shorts or T shirts in the MDR.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the no shorts rule apply to both women and men? I've always found it interesting when cruise lines allow shorts to be worn by women but not men (NCL specifically). A nice pair of golf shorts is much classier than see through shorts that are entirely too short that I usually see women wear. I don't care what anyone wears - I refuse to let my vacation be ruined by someone else's clothing choice. 

Not trying to start any argument (I know see dress code posts seem to incite anger), just trying to see what to expect with MSC as this will be my first time trying them. Though it seems to be all over the place depending on who is working. 

Just retuened from our vacation. No dress code is enforced in the dining room on Seaside. Most people follow the guidelines. I found it disappointing that some fellow passengers did not follow guidelines, including men wearing baseball hats in the dining room with T-shirt’s and shorts. Just had to learn to ignore what other people wear and focus on the folks that did enjoy dressing up for dinner on both the smart casual and elegant evenings like we do! 

9 hours ago, tweakes said:

Does the no shorts rule apply to both women and men? I've always found it interesting when cruise lines allow shorts to be worn by women but not men (NCL specifically). A nice pair of golf shorts is much classier than see through shorts that are entirely too short that I usually see women wear. I don't care what anyone wears - I refuse to let my vacation be ruined by someone else's clothing choice. 

Not trying to start any argument (I know see dress code posts seem to incite anger), just trying to see what to expect with MSC as this will be my first time trying them. Though it seems to be all over the place depending on who is working. 

Consider that women's shorts expose their legs, just like dresses and skirts do.  Most of the women I know do not have hairy legs.   'Nuff said?

Edited by DMH15