unlimited internet packages for platinum passengers?

Floridapenny

I am fairly new to this status and have not previously taken advantage of internet "perks."  In December, I will be on a 15 day Panama Canal full transit on the Coral.  

I am interested in the unlimited premium package, which is $199.99 prepaid ($234.99 original price).  I was told by my Princess cruise consultant that in order to receive a platinum/elite "discount" on the package, I will have to wait to purchase the package on the ship.  At that time, I will be able to obtain the premium package for the price of the social package (which is $99.99 prepaid or $119.99 original price).  In all my previous cruises, I have pre-paid for my internet in order to either pay less or get more minutes (depending on the package).

I want to confirm that the information I received from the cruise consultant is accurate.  Has anyone been successful in purchasing the premium package for the price of the social package?  If so, was the price similar to those on the 15 day Panama Canal Cruise?  I am under the impression that this is a fairly new program, so it may be difficult to confirm.

Thanks.

I am on  the grand now, the unlimited packages are $14.99/day, $24.99/day, $29.99/day for social, surf, premium respectivly.  I dont know what the pre-cruise cost was (cant remember) but when i signed in i was given the option for the standard platinum minutes or to upgrade to an unlimitd package.  The premium package for 10 days was $143.99 or $14.40/ day with the platinum discount.

Keep in mind this is fpr 10 day on grand, i dont know if pricing varies based on ship or voyage length, for example because the unlimited or charged per day the discount may be more on a 15 day then a 10 day but i just dont know.

Edited by jpom18
  • Thanks 1

As a Platinum Captain's Circle Member you will receive 250 minutes of free internet. If you are traveling as a couple and both are Platinum then each one will receive the 250 minutes or 500 minutes total. That's a lot of minutes. The person you spoke with is stating that if you want one of the unlimited packages you can upgrade your free minutes to one of the packages at a reduced price, but you can only do this once on board. On some ships Platinum members are receiving free unlimited social packages, but this was/is for a limited time and may or may not be the case when you board.

• Thanks 1

Don’t pre-pay for a package if you are Platinum or Elite. You will not get any credit or your Platinum/Elite perk unless you also sign up for that in addition to your pre-paid Internet package.

When you first log in as Platinum or Elite, you’ll be given the option of adding on to your Captain’s Circle perk. 

• Thanks 1

I too am sailing on Coral through the Canal in April.  I purchased the surf package and I called to find out how does my platinum status help me with my internet package.  I was told to cancel my pre sailing reservation for the surf package and to wait until I log in once on the Coral.  At that time the computer will recognize my platinum status and will give me the options for discounted packages.  I was told the web site is out of date in that you no longer get free minutes, rather you get a special deal on a package.

Per the Princess web page:  As a Platinum Captain’s Circle Member you will be recognized as such when you initially log on to the Internet onboard. Upon the initial log on you will see a screen which shows you how many complimentary minutes you are eligible to receive. In addition, you will have the opportunity to select more minutes at the available rates. This offer is only available at the time of the initial log on.

At any rate, I too was told to wait until I initially log in and my options will be presented at that time.

• Thanks 1