Cruise vs Land based tour

FSU Girl

I think this sounds like a really nice trip!     Once you have the flights arranged, one thing I learned (from others) is that the Eurostar between London & Paris is not fixed price -- it's more like airline pricing and becomes more expensive as you get closer to the date.   So, look at their website and buy your tickets early.   We bought the middle level, it didn't cost much more than the basic ticket, the seats were roomy and very comfortable.

We found it very easy to get around via the Metro in Paris (bought packets of 10 tickets; that's a good value) and the Underground in London.   London has a new ticketing system, were you can use mobile pay, no need to buy tickets in advance.   At the end of each day, they see how much you rode, and charge you either the price for an "all day pass" or individual rides, whichever works out better for you.   So easy!

I'm sure you'll have fun and there are a ton of things to do!    Any museums, do buy your tix in advance, as there are 2 lines for everything:  one to buy tickets, then one to get in.   Already having the tickets at least saves you one line.

If you want to see any theatre in London, you might want to get those tix in advance also.  We saw Mousetrip, the longest running play, and it was delightful (Agatha Christie).  There are plenty of other choices, too.

Mary

19 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

I think this sounds like a really nice trip!     Once you have the flights arranged, one thing I learned (from others) is that the Eurostar between London & Paris is not fixed price -- it's more like airline pricing and becomes more expensive as you get closer to the date.   So, look at their website and buy your tickets early.   We bought the middle level, it didn't cost much more than the basic ticket, the seats were roomy and very comfortable.

We found it very easy to get around via the Metro in Paris (bought packets of 10 tickets; that's a good value) and the Underground in London.   London has a new ticketing system, were you can use mobile pay, no need to buy tickets in advance.   At the end of each day, they see how much you rode, and charge you either the price for an "all day pass" or individual rides, whichever works out better for you.   So easy!

I'm sure you'll have fun and there are a ton of things to do!    Any museums, do buy your tix in advance, as there are 2 lines for everything:  one to buy tickets, then one to get in.   Already having the tickets at least saves you one line.

If you want to see any theatre in London, you might want to get those tix in advance also.  We saw Mousetrip, the longest running play, and it was delightful (Agatha Christie).  There are plenty of other choices, too.

Mary

Thank you! This is all great advice! We'll definitely buy all the tickets we need in advance to avoid those lines. I'm really excited 🙂

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 6:22 PM, riclop said:

A cruise is by far the best value.

Best value for what?  Money?  Time Spent?  Absorbing more of a country?   I just spent 850 pounds for a Villa in Greece for a week, 2 bedroom, my own pool and an ocean view to die for.  Got to eat with the locals every night and explore for days on end, or just stay by my pool.  A cruise is not always the answer nor is it always the vest "Value" 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 1:08 PM, FSU Girl said:

So I'm starting to doubt my choice in honeymoon again. I know, I know I change my mind too much and worry too much. I was just thinking how 12 nights is a really long time on a cruise. I've done one that long once on Princess when I was 17 and I felt like it was a really long cruise and should have ended a few days sooner. I'm not sure if I'll feel the same way now, but I'm a little worried. I like having constant entertainment and not sure if I'll feel bored on the ship. And the room is small and you don't get to spend too much time in each place. 

So I was thinking of doing a land based tour for the honeymoon instead. Probably a week in Paris, half a week in London and some side excursions to nearby locations by train. I'm a pro at planning cruises and have never planned any sort of European trip on my own so don't really know how to go about that. Is it crazy to think about doing this? 

My Fiance said he likes the cruise and wants to do that, but we could discuss tonight about changing it. 

Go with the cruise.  On a side note, 12 days is right at the limits of the low end number of days I'd book.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob