LOTS of bugs:(

The forums do not load properly on Chrome (& most browsers) - the formatting is WAY off. Are you all not supporting the iPhone app any longer? If not, can you please tell your users why this decision was made? I think you may lose a LOT of forum users if the app doesn't start working again. Love this site & I completely understand that updates involve issues, headaches, and growing pains, but wow...right now it looks like your IT folks weren't prepared at all for this transition.

As CC announced prior to the change, apps are not supported. There is at least one post that indicated that there are technical issues with apps interfacing.

Use a browser on mobile devices. For quick access to particular pages, have the browser put a shortcut on your home screen/desktop.

I have no problem with formatting on a Windows 10 pc using Firefox, IE 11, Edge, or Chrome. Nor have I had any formatting issues using Chrome on my Android phone. Can you be more specific about the problems you are experiencing?

Ok, so the browser problem was just an issue on my laptop. - no problem on my other laptop. But, come on guys! Getting rid of apps??? I, like most people, won’t use your site on a phone browser but will use an app. Why can’t you all continue to support your previous apps? 

15 minutes ago, jryansales said:

Ok, so the browser problem was just an issue on my laptop. - no problem on my other laptop. But, come on guys! Getting rid of apps??? I, like most people, won’t use your site on a phone browser but will use an app. Why can’t you all continue to support your previous apps? 

Can you please reinstate the apps please? The forums via phone is just terrible

very difficult to navigate and just not user friendly.

34 minutes ago, jryansales said:

Did you figure out what the issue was on the misbehaving laptop?

17 minutes ago, kerryincork said:

Can you please reinstate the apps please? The forums via phone is just terrible

very difficult to navigate and just not user friendly.

Initially navigation is tough. This is partially because we are used to the old site and the new site is remarkably different. I found that navigation becomes much easier once I created a new stream that brought up only unread content in threads I follow and made the stream my default. I can now press the 3rd button from the right of the page toolbar (mobile) to call it up at any time. The url (address) can be put on a home screen/desktop for immediate access outside of the browser.

11 minutes ago, broberts said:

Did you figure out what the issue was on the misbehaving laptop?

Initially navigation is tough. This is partially because we are used to the old site and the new site is remarkably different. I found that navigation becomes much easier once I created a new stream that brought up only unread content in threads I follow and made the stream my default. I can now press the 3rd button from the right of the page toolbar (mobile) to call it up at any time. The url (address) can be put on a home screen/desktop for immediate access outside of the browser.

Thanks

Yes, lots of bugs and glitches and also steps in the migration that are still being completed such as indexing the site for searching and converting the old mark-up coding to the code used by the new platform for all of the over 50 million messages in the database so that we can read the old posts and see the images in them. Once the indexing and the re-coding are done, things should speed up around here. Meanwhile, bugs and glitches are slowly being prioritized and worked on.

As for the an app, even if they decide to introduce an app, it will take a while for it to be available. The underpinnings of the new platform, the things that we can't see and that most of us don't understand, are not compatible with the old apps and something new will be needed, with time to develop it properly. In other words, regardless of what is decide, this site will be accessible by browser only for the unforeseeable future.

In the meantime, we all have two choices. We can opt to stop participating in CC or we can stay with it because we enjoy being part of this community and benefit from pooling our knowledge and that is more important to us than just how perfect the site itself is. For myself, in spite of these problems (including the fact that I have typed this message on my desktop and will now have to copy and send it to myself so I can retrieve it on my phone to copy and paste into a reply box because for the last two days anytime I try to submit a reply I get an error message) , I'm staying. I like the people I interact with and the pooling of knowledge.

EDIT: OMG. It posted without an error message. Thank you, techies.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, broberts said:

LOL, my solution is not quite as elegant. I keep the forum lists and the particular threads I want to revisit frequently open in tabs in my browser. There are only a couple of forums and from there I can keep up with what I am following.

The new format does give us the ability to 'follow' our own activity. For those who haven found it, at the top of every page on a computer, are three tabs--Forums, Gallery and Activity. On my phone, I found Activity as a strange looking icon to the left of the magnifying glass in the blue band at the top of the page. Default is to show all activity so you must set the filters to show the information you want to see.