Pre existing

camper49

Thinking of booking a cruise in February of 2020. We have pre existing conditions so we would have to get insurance the time of booking I believe. Is there insurance that you can purchase at final payment (at that time we would be fairly sure we would be going) and still be covered for pre existing ? 

Yes

CSA freestyle is one. There may be a couple of others.

I found this one at this site  www.tripinsurancestore.com

Nationwide Cruise Choice is another. Found on www.insuremytrip.com

Note: These will require to insure ALL non-refundable expenses to qualify.

I might worry that these policies klfrodo mentions might not be available over a year from now.  To guarantee your pre-existing conditions are covered, you can insure only your deposit amount now and add to the insurance as you make additional payments, thereby minimizing your loss should you have to cancel the trip.

On 10/20/2018 at 8:54 AM, LDVinNC said:

I might worry that these policies klfrodo mentions might not be available over a year from now.  To guarantee your pre-existing conditions are covered, you can insure only your deposit amount now and add to the insurance as you make additional payments, thereby minimizing your loss should you have to cancel the trip.

I hadn't thought about this, but it's important, given the scarcity of good policies that can be purchased that late (within 24 hours of *final* payment).

Also, IF you insure "now" (meaning within the 10-21 days of FIRST payment/deposit as required by most policies to get pre-existing), then you have a choice of policies.  And you ONLY need to insure that first payment.

We get Travel Insured policies, and those can be transferred once to some other trip, within some time limitations.

Why not contact a broker such as

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

and ask them about all of this.

You may find yet another policy that works best for your specific trip needs.

GC

• 1 month later...

We do this, insure only the deposit then add to the trip cost as we make other non-refundable payments.  We also use Travel Insured and have discussed this strategy with them a couple of times and have been assured it's perfectly fine.   We had always used a broker and had no trouble just calling TI to make the adjustments.  About a year ago they started making me go back to the broker and jump through provide a letter etc to make the changes.  (I assume there was some issue with commissions etc which caused this).   Since I understand the product I want I now go directly to TI to purchase.

15 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

We do this, insure only the deposit then add to the trip cost as we make other non-refundable payments.  We also use Travel Insured and have discussed this strategy with them a couple of times and have been assured it's perfectly fine.   We had always used a broker and had no trouble just calling TI to make the adjustments.  About a year ago they started making me go back to the broker and jump through provide a letter etc to make the changes.  (I assume there was some issue with commissions etc which caused this).   Since I understand the product I want I now go directly to TI to purchase.

We've never needed to go to TI as we increased the coverage (above the deposit, often in several stages), nor when we've changed the departure or return dates.

TripInsuranceStore has taken care of it all, with one quick phone call, and shortly thereafter, we received updated coverate/date docs (from TI).

The ONLY time we needed to call TI directly was when we were changing a date at almost the last minute, literally.

And that only happened once; it's not something that would happen frequently.

Much easier to give TIS a quick call than get through to TI.

I'm guessing if TI told you that, perhaps they do indeed wish to save the commission and not have to pay a broker...?

GC