Southern Caribbean - best excursion?

EeyoreRN

I second the island tour by Thenford Gray in St. Kitts.  St. Kitts' beaches are not the best but the island is beautiful and worth seeing most of it if you can.  We did Thenford Gray last year, but this year we just hired a taxi to take us to Romney Manor/Caribelle Batik, which DD wanted to see again.  The taxi driver still showed us around the island, being appreciative of the business.  it only cost us $40.00 for all 4.

• Thanks 1

In St. Thomas, we almost always just go to Magen's Bay (beach) on our own, by way of Safari taxi.  Taxi from Crown bay is $10.00 pp each way.  Admission to Magen's Bay is $5.00 pp.

We've also done the ferry to St. John, then safari taxi to Trunk Bay, which in my informed opinion is the most beautiful beach in the world (and I live in the Caribbean).  But I would do this through the ship's shore excursions to assure that you make it back on time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EeyoreRN said:

LOL folks, I'm not any closer to a decision...in fact, I think I'm more confused than ever! Now considering doing 3 instead of 2.

1. Definitely something that involves the Pitons and volcanic mud baths in St. Lucia, hope I can find a sail so we can see Pitons from the water. 

2. St. Kitts - sail to Nevis? Full Island Tour?  ATV's (yikes)?

3. Barbados - catamaran sail with lunch? (ship offers one that looks identical to Calabaza on sale now for $2 less.) Or just Boatyard beach with snorkel? What to do?!

4. Now that BOSS thing in St. Thomas is in contention but I had pretty much decided on either Water Island (Honeymoon Beach) or Magens Bay. Easy/cheap awesome beach day.

Any more feedback?

More on Magens Bay, we spent the day there last Saturday.  The beach has pretty much been restored, in part thanks to Royal Caribbean.  But, since the new palm trees are young, shade can be lacking.  They do rent umbrellas for $12.00 (deposit $32, get $20 back when you return it).  You have to carry the umbrella, and loungers if you get any, to your spot or pay the guy a tip and he will take them for you and install the umbrella.  The beach bar and snack concession are up and running and prices are decent (for STT).

The area around the gift shop/snack/bar can get crowded.  We always elect to go to the far edge of the beach, near where they rent the SUPs.  Almost tranquil.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Aviator of the Seas
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

I get that. :classic_smile: I was a little intimidated too since it was my first time.  The guide put me right behind him at first then moved me later.  It was much easier than I expected and we didn't take any chances.  If you're good at driving anything, it comes pretty naturally I think and with the guide there, there was no opportunity for stupid hot shot moves and speed was limited to about 60-65 mph.   (I know you're not up for this, but in case anyone else is reading.)

LOL!!!  You just solidified my decision AGAINST this one!  But I really appreciate your input!

26 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

These private tours come very highly recommended by fellow CCers:

1.  Best tour in St. Lucia

2.  Sailing may be more to your taste

3.   Sailing and snorkeling in Barbados is good once.  Here are some other options for you:
Barbados Glory Tours
4.  Last two times we were in St. Thomas, the people at Water Island looked like they were having a really peaceful, nice time!  I'd do that.  Avoid the chaos of traffic that is St. Thomas and get away to a quiet beach.

That Ambrose Tour in St. Lucia is EXACTLY what we're looking for, thanks!  Pretty much decided on sticking with Water Island.

• Like 1

I can't imagine going to Antigua and not visiting Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley Heights. It is part of Nelson's Dockyard National Park and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  The Dockyard is fully restored and the views from Shirley Heights are fantastic.  My ship is offering guided tours with the Whisper system so you can learn the history of this famous port in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darstamp said:

I can't imagine going to Antigua and not visiting Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley Heights. It is part of Nelson's Dockyard National Park and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  The Dockyard is fully restored and the views from Shirley Heights are fantastic.  My ship is offering guided tours with the Whisper system so you can learn the history of this famous port in the Caribbean.

Thank you for this advice. I am looking at Scenic Tours Antigua which seems very inexpensive and would take us to all the highlights, including the ones you name, and also a beach. Do you (or anyone reading this) have any experience with this company?  They have good recent reviews on trip advisor. I'm trying to keep costs down but also want a good experience so don't know if I have to upgrade to something more private?

1 hour ago, EeyoreRN said:

I'm trying to keep costs down but also want a good experience so don't know if I have to upgrade to something more private?

We had an amazing experience with Elmo's (Luxury Antigua Safari). He tailored our tour to include all Antigua's highlights (including Devil's bridge...).

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

We had an amazing experience with Elmo's (Luxury Antigua Safari). He tailored our tour to include all Antigua's highlights (including Devil's bridge...).

When did you do this? I looked them up and can't find any reviews since 2015, and the website link is about Elmo the muppet.  Do you have a recent link?

Edited to add: Update!  Found the recent mostly great reviews, but still no recent website.  Thanks!

Edited by EeyoreRN
added update
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, EeyoreRN said:

When did you do this? I looked them up and can't find any reviews since 2015, and the website link is about Elmo the muppet.  Do you have a recent link?

Edited to add: Update!  Found the recent mostly great reviews, but still no recent website.  Thanks!

We've been in April 2017 (before the big hurricanes). Here's his (Elmo) email:

fitzelmo_66 at outlook dot com