Travel money (cash) while cruising Pacific Islands

Its been a while since I cruised the Pacific Islands and  doing some research of the ports we will be visiting it states some of the small islands will not accept AUD and prefer Fiji dollars.

We will be going to New Caledonia and Fijian islands next year. Any advice on what small amounts of cash to take. 

In Noumea just about anywhere outside the cruise terminal will insist on Pacific Francs. Mare and Lifou, Mystery Island, Vila and most of Vanuatu are OK with Au$, Isle of Pines mostly like Francs. In Fiji I've never had any problem with AU$ but some of the smaller places might be a bit fussy. One place in Noumea it was 100 francs to use the toilet, that's over a dollar!

Shops will take credit cards, stalls may not but if you take small notes of AUD, the locals will have a conversion rate that suits them well. Change will most likely be in local currency. As mentioned, there will be ATMs for local currency if you want.

8 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I prefer to use the local currency. These countries are not as developed as we are converting AUD$ takes away some of their hard earned income. I see it as my little contribution to them.

Exactly. We always head to the nearest ATM to get local currency and if our cruise first stops at ports without ATMs then we buy currency before we board the ship. They are so appreciative when you do offer to pay in local currency.

10 minutes ago, happysnapper said:

Thanks for the info. So need to getsome Fiji dollars, vatu and pacific francs before we sail.

Happysnapper, a little off topic, but a few of us here on CC that live in the area are meeting up for a coffee/lunch, no date set yet, but as you live in the area you may be interested, send me an email at cheznandy at gmail dot com.

And anyone else that lives in the Port Macquarie area that would like to join us, just contact me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cheznandy said:

Happysnapper, a little off topic, but a few of us here on CC that live in the area are meeting up for a coffee/lunch, no date set yet, but as you live in the area you may be interested, send me an email at cheznandy at gmail dot com.

And anyone else that lives in the Port Macquarie area that would like to join us, just contact me.

Great stuff, it is a wonderful way to talk all things cruising and more. We have a ACT cruisers group going with meet ups once a month at the Yacht club.

On 10/21/2018 at 3:55 PM, happysnapper said:

Thanks for the info. So need to getsome Fiji dollars, vatu and pacific francs before we sail.

Depends. To the best of my knowledge , there are ATMs in Noumea, Port Vila, Suva and Port Denerau. On the other hand, if you are going to a smaller island first, getting money before you sail may be a really good idea, and probably cheaper. Vatu used to be hard to get but I see my favourite currency exchange has them now.

In Noumea some shop owners seem to take delight in not accepting AUD, and you have to be able to get essentials while ashore, don't you?

IMG_0404.JPG

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, happysnapper said:

Our 1st poc is Lifou...no ATM no shops so will just have to sightsee. From memory I think the locals set up a "watering hole".

4 hours ago, Seadog & Sea Hag said:

Locals accept AUD in Lifou 

As mentioned the locals will take AUD, just have small notes (not coins) and you can get food, drink, local handicrafts and souvenirs.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:00 PM, MicCanberra said:

Great stuff, it is a wonderful way to talk all things cruising and more. We have a ACT cruisers group going with meet ups once a month at the Yacht club.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:00 PM, MicCanberra said:

Hi MicCanberra,

Do you allow visiting CC members to come along to your group? Our daughter has moved there to study at ANU. We will doing the odd trip there from Perth. Would love to know what you thought about the Azura and Navigator as we did them both this year as well.

Anita

5 hours ago, benjoon said:

Hi MicCanberra,

Do you allow visiting CC members to come along to your group? Our daughter has moved there to study at ANU. We will doing the odd trip there from Perth. Would love to know what you thought about the Azura and Navigator as we did them both this year as well.

Anita

Certainly, it is open to any one interested.

It is a chat group for people (mainly) from Canberra and the surrounding districts who like to cruise and talk about cruising. We meet monthly at the Canberra Yacht Club on the second Saturday of the month. 3 pm. Come and join us.