What kind of weather to expect for a December Cruise to Western Caribbean

dragonflywoods

Hi all,

Just booked our Christmas Cruise to the Western Caribbean, I'm so excited but have to keep it to myself a little bit longer as we are surprising the kids (teens). I have been on 2 other cruises and they were both in July, where it was smoking HOT outside. I'm not sure what to expect for weather for this trip....what should I pack clothes wise for the weather? Will it be warm enough for the pool and water excursions? We currently live in NC and it will be cold by then. But we are originally from central FL and have spent many Christmas' in shorts, though it might have been to cool for the pool, so I'm looking for suggestions please.

Thank you,

Shannon

Edited by dragonflywoods

I will also be doing my first December cruise this year. From my research it's cool at night (high 60s or low 70s) and during the day it get up to 80 degrees. So I'm planning to pack my usual summer clothes but also bring a jacket or a light sweater to wear at night.

I’ve cruised in December/Jan a few times. Twice the weather was perfect, high.70s to low 80s during the day and sunny. One cruise we hit a rainy week and it was overcast and a bit cooler. But The winter is my favorite time to travel to the Caribbean. Some people on the cruises complained that the water was cold. I thought it was great; so that might be a matter of personal preference.

The December to January time frame is our favorite time to cruise.  It gets us out of the cold mid-Atlantic winter and we get to 'stock up' on some warm sunshine 🤗.

In general, the further south your itinerary goes, the warmer it will be during the daytime.  As always, the inside areas of the ship will be cooler at night, so a light sweater is always a good thing (I usually have a pashmina at dinner and can use it as a blanket in a pinch in the show lounges).

Only on one trip did we hit any really cold weather and that was an eastern route that include Key West. A 'polar vortex' hit the area as we were arriving and it didn't get above 70 degrees 😕.

Enjoy your trip - I'm sure the weather will be better than the weather at home in any case!

I cruise during the winter every year.  There's 3 big advantages. Prices are low, kids are in school, breaks up the long winter here in the NE. The weather is always GREAT in the Caribbean, CAN be iffy in Bahamas. But, don't take my word for it, go to weatherdotcom, punch in your ports (like Coz, Grand Cayman) + look up monthly averages (highs + lows). I'd give you the links, but thought they don't like links posted here.

We are doing this itinerary at Christmas and hoping for great weather. 2 years ago we went to the Bahamas at new year. The air temp was amazing, especially coming from the frozen tundra (probably 80-82 with low humidity) but the water was too chilly for me (but not for the kids). That is why we are trying a more southern route for this trip. We are from MN so I should be less of a freeze baby...but I keep my summer pool at 90 degrees, lol. I also have our 3 port stops saved in my WeatherBug app. It's fun to see what the weather is like as I dream. 

The outside temperature will be warm/hot.  You will be able to swim every day.  You will be in the tropics so do not forget the sunscreen.  All ships keep the temperature too cool for me on the inside no matter where they go.  

We have been on many Christmas cruises and are going again this year.   Once you get past Cuba, you are pretty much guaranteed nice warm weather.   Most times, the weather has been nice around Florida too, but on a couple of occasions, it has been quite cool when a front came through.   The temperatures were in the 60's when we got north of Cuba, and when the ship is moving at 20 knots, the wind chill was quite cool.   Spent a lot of time taking naps in the warm room, but still had a great time.   One time, we docked in Port Canaveral and there where icicles on the buildings when we docked, but that is VERY rare.   I usually bring a light jacket just in case.  Have fun.

We love cruising around the middle of December for prices, few kids, and usually wonderful weather.  One December cruise it was a little cooler in the Bahamas and we couldn't do the beach, but any other December cruise has been pleasant, we've spent days by the pool and beach in port.  Enjoy!

We always cruise in Nov or Dec. It has been very cold in Mobile and cool in NOLA when we leave, but it's always warm the next morning out in the Gulf. Days seem to be in the 80's and pleasant. We always swim in Cozumel and other places and the water temp is perfect.

I don't know the ports you are going to, but I can tell you from my experience so far.  Grand Cayman is in the 80's in December - spent 10 days there once scubadiving.  Our dive log shows air & water temps at 84 degrees every day.  That was mid December.  Montego Bay in late January was high 70's & cloudy the day we were there.  I did not get in the water.  Cozumel was high 70's or low 80's end of January.  I did not get in the water, but our friend said it was pretty cold.  Roatan was in the 80's in late January - both water & air - we dove that trip.

I don't remember the island but one of our cab drivers told us that if the temperatures get below 80 degrees, they turn their heat on in their houses.  It was 80 degrees, we were sweating and he was cold.  They are accustomed to a lot of heat most of the year.

• 5 weeks later...

We've cruised in early December to Western Carib and weather was nice, mid 70 to mid 80.  There were a few overcast days on ship and it was pretty nippy sitting by the pool so I would recommend bringing a light jacket/sweater and jeans just in case.