New York Penn Station to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal?

davidhurt

I'm looking at taking Amtrak to New York Penn Station on Sunday, November 25th to take the QM2 out of Brooklyn, departing at 5:00 p.m.  What is the latest I can arrive at NYP to get to the cruise terminal in time?  Should I take a taxi or Uber/Lyft, or something else from the train station to the cruise terminal?  Thanks for your help.  

I would take the earliest possible train available. Amtrak is known for their delays. On top of that the entire Penn Station tracks are constantly being shut down due to track work. 

Working backwards you need to be at the pier no later than 2 hours before departure (confirm with cruiseline if it’s more). Then going from Penn to Brooklyn will take an hour. Could be more depending on date and time. 

2 hours ago, davidhurt said:

I'm looking at taking Amtrak to New York Penn Station on Sunday, November 25th to take the QM2 out of Brooklyn, departing at 5:00 p.m.  What is the latest I can arrive at NYP to get to the cruise terminal in time?  Should I take a taxi or Uber/Lyft, or something else from the train station to the cruise terminal?  Thanks for your help.  

Where are you coming from on Amtrak?

Quite frankly same day Amtrak to catch a cruise can be risky because when Amtrak has service interruptions, they can be quite lengthy.  You must be at the Brooklyn Cruiseport by 3:30 at the latest.  Nov 25th is also the end of Thanksgiving weekend with all the accompanying traffic issues.  Have you considered coming in on Sat and getting a hotel?  There are deals out there under $200 in Manhattan. Fairfield Inn near Wall St is $150 plus tax for Marriott members.  This would give you the option of taking the MTA ferry from pier 11 right to the Brooklyn Cruiseport.  

On 10/20/2018 at 12:02 PM, 138east said:

Where are you coming from on Amtrak?

Quite frankly same day Amtrak to catch a cruise can be risky because when Amtrak has service interruptions, they can be quite lengthy.  

Carol, 

You've convinced me not to try to arrive on Amtrak the date of departure.  Maybe you can help me with another alternative I'm considering.  I can stay at the Navy Lodge on Staten Island the night before departure.  How expensive should it be to get from NYP (or some closer Amtrak station) to the Navy Lodge then from there to the Brooklyn cruise terminal and finally from the cruise terminal back to the Amtrak station?  I figure parking at the terminal for a 13-night cruise will cost $283.00.  If taxis or Uber would cost anywhere near that, I may just drive up from Washington, DC.  Are there any other less expensive safe parking options anywhere near the terminal?  Thanks for your help.  

That's a tough one for me since I don't sail from Brooklyn and don't use Uber or Lyft in NY.   Having said that and having looked at Uber estimates, you should be able to do these  3 trips for $150 or less, particularly on a weekend.  I would take Amtrak to Newark Penn Station and back from New York Penn Station.

Hopefully others will respond with their insights.

9 hours ago, davidhurt said:

Carol, 

You've convinced me not to try to arrive on Amtrak the date of departure.  Maybe you can help me with another alternative I'm considering.  I can stay at the Navy Lodge on Staten Island the night before departure.  How expensive should it be to get from NYP (or some closer Amtrak station) to the Navy Lodge then from there to the Brooklyn cruise terminal and finally from the cruise terminal back to the Amtrak station?  I figure parking at the terminal for a 13-night cruise will cost $283.00.  If taxis or Uber would cost anywhere near that, I may just drive up from Washington, DC.  Are there any other less expensive safe parking options anywhere near the terminal?  Thanks for your help.  

I'm not Carol, but I wanted to add my two cents.

With the caveat that we haven't parked at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, I am a big fan of parking at cruise terminals; you can't beat the convenience.   That said, you would be driving from DC to NY on the weekend after Thanksgiving.  It's a crappy drive under the best of circumstances, so please consider that.  And unless you were going to risk driving up the same day (not to mention that day being the Sunday after Thanksgiving), you of course still need a hotel for the night.   In that case,  driving up (early!) on Saturday and staying on Staten Island would make sense.   Not sure it would if you took the train to Manhattan (on Thanksgiving weekend); seems like it would be a lot of schlepping to go out to Staten Island.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and have a great cruise!