BEWARE OF NCL “guarantee policy”

AZSun22

We paid for an obstructed ocean view category, we were not assigned a particular cabin. Then when assignments went out we were “upgraded to a porthole ocean view”. On their pricing/category descriptions a porthole is higher priced then an obstructed view.  We had wanted a higher floor and better lightening, which is what an obstructed view has a window not a porthole, which is why we booked/paid for the obstructed view. Which now we realize our TA should have not done a GTY as that allows NCL to move us anywhere higher category then the OK (obstructed view). 

I just wish that NCL would of allowed us to go back to obstructed view as they were still advertising that this category was still available. 

7 minutes ago, NurseJEB said:

By doing the same amount of homework on the cruise itself I can figure out exactly what I want to book without a TA.  They only complicate things by being a middle man in my reservation where I have to go through them for anything and I cannot deal directly with the cruise line.  In reality there is not a whole lot a TA can do for you that you cannot do or get for yourself without a little leg work.  True some folks do not want to do that leg work but it is not difficult to do.

(Highly anticipating the onslaught of "My TA did this for me" posts to follow... LOL)

I do way too much homework and read this board, and you are absolutely right.  I might have used a TA for my first cruise since we really didn't know much about it but in the end we booked it ourselves.  We also learned a lot along the way.  I've read that some use a TA who gives them OBC.  I don't know if I could give up control of the reservation.  

16 hours ago, Newleno said:

Sorry this happened to you, I just cant figure out Ncl policies and why there are so many issues, dont ncl want repeat customers?

don't think I understand what you are saying about repeat business. Yes, we all feel bad about the situation. The OP didn't understand. Apparently the TA didn't explain exactly what GTY meant, but NCL and many lines do have a polity as to what GTY means and gets you. 

When you say "so many issues" have you read other cruise line posts here or elsewhere? A lot of people use CC for a griping board. NCL seems to have a lot of repeat business just like most lines.

• Thanks 1

While I'm not a fan of the policies NCL uses to sell cabins in this case I must say they have done absolutely nothing wrong. A port hole is a upgrade  from a obstructed view cabin. If they want to sell all the obstructed view cabins and give you a port hole that is their choice. 

As others have said they only guarantee you a room in the category you book or higher. Which is exactly what they did. These guaranteed cabins are a deal becasue you agree to the terms. If you wanted a 100% guaranteed  obstructed view  you needed to pay more and book one.

I asked a question about this yesterday, and see a lot of answers here (haven't checked my own thread yet), but am addressing this to the OP, you have specific needs, so it sounds to me that you should have paid for the particular room you wanted because you are quite specific. From what I can see, the GTY categories are for inside, outside, balcony, and they tell you what deck you will be on. I personally am a little hesitant about just outside, because I know I could end up on deck 4, which I would rather not be on. With balcony, it says only 8, 9 or 10. Have you tried calling NCL yourself? You might get a nice agent who will change you to a different cabin. A few years ago I was going with a few friends, last minute, and they already had their cabins, so I decided for myself, seeing as I was paying double, I would take inside. The price dropped before sailing, I called NCL, and they moved me to an outside. 

5 minutes ago, Robinsilver said:

I asked a question about this yesterday, and see a lot of answers here (haven't checked my own thread yet), but am addressing this to the OP, you have specific needs, so it sounds to me that you should have paid for the particular room you wanted because you are quite specific. From what I can see, the GTY categories are for inside, outside, balcony, and they tell you what deck you will be on. I personally am a little hesitant about just outside, because I know I could end up on deck 4, which I would rather not be on. With balcony, it says only 8, 9 or 10. Have you tried calling NCL yourself? You might get a nice agent who will change you to a different cabin. A few years ago I was going with a few friends, last minute, and they already had their cabins, so I decided for myself, seeing as I was paying double, I would take inside. The price dropped before sailing, I called NCL, and they moved me to an outside. 

If there is a cabin available for more than the OP paid, they will probably let her upsell, but they will not give her an obstructed ocean view at this point.

On 10/24/2018 at 12:04 PM, Expat Cruise said:

If you wanted a 100% guaranteed  obstructed view  you needed to pay more and book one.

It does not appear that was possible in this case.  OP states they booked in the category but they did not have the option of picking a specific cabin.  That means that all the cabins in the category were already assigned at that time.  NCL sold OP the GTY in the category on the possibility that someone else might upgrade out of it.  It appears that either this did not happen or that NCL assigned someone else to any freed-up OV cabins, and OP to a "better" cabin.

Edited by havenfan

3 hours ago, havenfan said:

It does not appear that was possible in this case.  OP states they booked in the category but they did not have the option of picking a specific cabin.  That means that all the cabins in the category were already assigned at that time.  NCL sold OP the GTY in the category on the possibility that someone else might upgrade out of it.  It appears that either this did not happen or that NCL assigned someone else to any freed-up OV cabins, and OP to a "better" cabin.

If you book an obstructed view guarantee, you aren’t guaranteed an obstructed view. You are guaranteed at the very least an obstructed view cabin or better, they can’t assign an inside cabin. It’s like booking an ocean view midship guarantee cabin, and getting upset with a forward balcony, because one wanted to be midship.