Making changes to a reservation done with an Early Saver deal

DukeASUGirl

It's been just over 2 weeks since our cruise, and I got the offer in my inbox from Carnival for Early Saver rates on our next cruise.

We do happen to be planning to go back next year, but the dates aren't 100% set in stone. If I book now and lock in the rates and the onboard credit, could I still make changes once I get the kids' Fall Break dates?

If you are willing to accept the penalties associated with an Early Saver fare, you can make all the changes you want.  

Read the terms and conditions associated with the Early Saver fare and determine if the fees meet your threshold should changes be necessary (considering the fare/perks you have and what could be available when you want to change to another sailing).  Typically changing sail dates is a “cancel/rebook” scenario.  Talk with a PVP or TA if it is still confusing.

Happy sailing!

• Like 1

If you have to change later on down the road when booked under Early Saver, you will forfeit $50 per person and the remainder of your deposit will be applied to a new deposit if you book the new cruise at the same time as you cancel the other one. Otherwise, the remaining money will be held as a future cruise credit until you book anew cruise. In which case you won’t be able to use the credit towards the deposit, only towards the balance due. 

Check out Past Guest Rates. Typically they aren't that much more and can end up saving you a lot of money in penalties. You can make changes no charge and get all of your deposit back should you need to up until final payment date. You can also price match up until then as well. Keep in mind that if you make changes to your cruise under ES not only will you have penalties, but you will also lose the tiny amount of OBC you are being offered now unless the new rate also includes OBC. If I'm not 100% sure what the future holds, I book PG rate. Much more flexible. 

Edited by firemanbobswife
  • Like 1

Yes, you can change the date & ship, but as others have stated, there is a $50 per person penalty.  Almost all our cruises on Carnival have been early saver, but we are sure of our dates before we book.  Well, except for the time one of my daughters got pregnant, not realizing that she would be too far along to sail.  

I'm no expert on travel insurance, but would it cover penalties if you had to change the cruise?

When you change dates, you pay the fares that area associated with your new date at the time you book that new date. So you have not locked in a fare, only the OBC, which you should be able to carry over to your new date.

39 minutes ago, virginiab said:

When you change dates, you pay the fares that area associated with your new date at the time you book that new date. So you have not locked in a fare, only the OBC, which you should be able to carry over to your new date.

You do not get to keep the OBC. You totally reprice to the new rate minus penalty fees. This changed when they went to Early Saver fares. The days of "sleeper cruises" are long gone. 

1 hour ago, maritimecruiser said:

Does the $50 pp fee apply if you are changing stateroom class same sailing? Considering changing from Grand suite to two balcony class.

You can upgrade your cabin without penalty.  Grand suite to balcony is a downgrade, so even if booking two I doubt that the penalty would be waived.

However, this is the sort of question that you should discuss with Carnival.

21 hours ago, firemanbobswife said:

You do not get to keep the OBC. You totally reprice to the new rate minus penalty fees. This changed when they went to Early Saver fares. The days of "sleeper cruises" are long gone. 

Thanks for telling me this. I did not know about this change.