Seven Ships in Port - What to do?

dreadpirate3

For my upcoming Eastern Caribbean cruise, our port day in Saint Maarten/Sint Martin is with six other ships, including Harmony. https://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingphilipsburgstmaarten-23jan2019.html

Is it a safe plan to get a taxi to the Rainbow Cafe at Grand Case for the day? If we get off the ship early, I hope the beach won't be too crowded. It seems like a lot of people will be in port that day, guests and crew.

I welcome any and all advice or suggestions. This is our first time in that port.

Several years ago we stayed for a week in a condo right on the beach next door the Rainbow Cafe. It was a magical time and the folks at the Rainbow Cafe helped make it that way. Their food is yummy, the people oh so nice and the beach is great! I would definitely head there as soon as possible and enjoy a relaxing and fun day!

From our 2nd floor condo looking out to sea. The Rainbow Cafe is on the right with the red chairs. This was pre-hurricane Irma. The place on the left I believe was completely destroyed.

e7jF7l8Bh-Y2ETnlsGcUpQ9kkK1Sq5_9ej7xlgVs

Edited by Ski Mom 2
  • Thanks 1

If there are that many ships in port that day, your only safe bet would be to book your travel as an excursion with the cruise line. The island is still recovering. Many shops are still closed. If the taxis are spread across that many cruise ships, your wait could be excessive.

34 minutes ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

Several years ago we stayed for a week in a condo right on the beach next door the Rainbow Cafe. It was a magical time and the folks at the Rainbow Cafe helped make it that way. Their food is yummy, the people oh so nice and the beach is great! I would definitely head there as soon as possible and enjoy a relaxing and fun day!

From our 2nd floor condo looking out to sea. The Rainbow Cafe is on the right with the red chairs. This was pre-hurricane Irma. The place on the left I believe was completely destroyed.

e7jF7l8Bh-Y2ETnlsGcUpQ9kkK1Sq5_9ej7xlgVs

Thank you so much for this.

I know that post hurricane, the island is still slowly recovering, but I would rather not stay on the ship, and will be proactive about getting to the Rainbow Cafe and Grand Case as early as possible.

3 hours ago, JT1962 said:

This site shows only 4 ships that day with around 16,000 people.

http://m.cruisett.com/p/St_Martin__St_Maarten/511-Philipsburg/January_2019/

I will be there in December when there are 6 ships and 20,000+ projected. I will try and remember to post our experience when we return.

Thank you so much. We still intend to get an early start to the Rainbow Cafe and the beach there. We can always change plans mid-day if it gets too crowded.

On 10/28/2018 at 7:17 AM, JT1962 said:

This site shows only 4 ships that day with around 16,000 people.

http://m.cruisett.com/p/St_Martin__St_Maarten/511-Philipsburg/January_2019/

I will be there in December when there are 6 ships and 20,000+ projected. I will try and remember to post our experience when we return.

We'll be there on the same day on the Carnival Horizon!  Still not sure what we are planning.

On 10/24/2018 at 11:38 AM, dreadpirate3 said:

For my upcoming Eastern Caribbean cruise, our port day in Saint Maarten/Sint Martin is with six other ships, including Harmony. https://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingphilipsburgstmaarten-23jan2019.html

Is it a safe plan to get a taxi to the Rainbow Cafe at Grand Case for the day? If we get off the ship early, I hope the beach won't be too crowded. It seems like a lot of people will be in port that day, guests and crew.

I welcome any and all advice or suggestions. This is our first time in that port.

You'll have no problem getting a taxi to take you anywhere on the island and yes it is safe and you may be able to share the taxi cost ride with others going there too, if you prefer. There may not many people going to Grand Case as some of them go to Maho Beach to see the planes and many go to Orient Beach, which is very nice too. If you plan on going to Grand Case, I would definitely allow at least 2 1/2 hours on the return trip back to the port as traffic will be heavy due to the number of ships in port.

When there's a lot of ships in boat, we do 1 of two things, either go to Great Bay beach which is near the port or book with Bernard's Tours, who will get to back in time way before sailaway. They won't chance you missing your ship, that's how they make their living. I know there's been pollution problems with the water at Great Bay for years, but we've never had any issues each time we were there.

Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful day, it's one of our favorite island :classic_biggrin:

On 11/4/2018 at 12:44 PM, MaiseyM said:

Is it possible to reserve a spot there before you get to the island?  Do it ahead of time?  

I know Holland House, in Phillipsburg used to offer day passes for $125, which included a room. You can take the water taxi over to Great Bay and there's plenty of places to rent chairs and umbrellas or take a taxi to any of the other beaches. You'll have no problem finding a place to sit on any of the beaches, just get off the ship as soon as you can. Maho beach is usually very crowded, even with one ship in port. A nice beach would be Bikini Beach on Orient 

5 minutes ago, Life is Good Cruising said:

You'll have no problem getting a taxi to take you anywhere on the island and yes it is safe and you may be able to share the taxi cost ride with others going there too, if you prefer. There may not many people going to Grand Case as some of them go to Maho Beach to see the planes and many go to Orient Beach, which is very nice too. If you plan on going to Grand Case, I would definitely allow at least 2 1/2 hours on the return trip back to the port as traffic will be heavy due to the number of ships in port.

When there's a lot of ships in boat, we do 1 of two things, either go to Great Bay beach which is near the port or book with Bernard's Tours, who will get to back in time way before sailaway. They won't chance you missing your ship, that's how they make their living. I know there's been pollution problems with the water at Great Bay for years, but we've never had any issues each time we were there.

Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful day, it's one of our favorite island :classic_biggrin:

I know Holland House, in Phillipsburg used to offer day passes for $125, which included a room. You can take the water taxi over to Great Bay and there's plenty of places to rent chairs and umbrellas or take a taxi to any of the other beaches. You'll have no problem finding a place to sit on any of the beaches, just get off the ship as soon as you can. Maho beach is usually very crowded, even with one ship in port. A nice beach would be Bikini Beach on Orient 

I think we'll stick with Great Bay. I would love to go to Grand Case, but the time from port is bothersome. We can use the water taxi to go back and forth as needed. I just learned about the water taxi.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Life is Good Cruising said:

My pleasure :classic_smile:

Holland House does offer 2 chairs, and an umbrella, free Wi-Fi and 4 beverages (beer, water or soda) for $25, enjoy your day! 

Thanks, just looked them up and added them to my list. I appreciate your advice.

• 3 weeks later...

We were just in St Maarten in October (will be back in two weeks) and things are very very slowly getting back to normal.  We did not go out to Grand Case (where we used to rent a Condo), but a local shop owner (old friend) told us it will be another year until that town is back to something close to normal.  I suspect if you get a taxi to Grand Case you will find that its not very crowded.   Many of those who normally rent or own on the island are not back.  Just give yourself a lot of extra time because it might be difficult to find a taxi back.  In fact, you might want to consider renting a car and driving yourself :).

Hank

On 11/22/2018 at 7:38 PM, Hlitner said:

We were just in St Maarten in October (will be back in two weeks) and things are very very slowly getting back to normal.  We did not go out to Grand Case (where we used to rent a Condo), but a local shop owner (old friend) told us it will be another year until that town is back to something close to normal.  I suspect if you get a taxi to Grand Case you will find that its not very crowded.   Many of those who normally rent or own on the island are not back.  Just give yourself a lot of extra time because it might be difficult to find a taxi back.  In fact, you might want to consider renting a car and driving yourself :).

Hank

Hank, any thoughts on Orient Beach? We will be there in Jan and our times are 10am-7pm. We would love to spend the day at Orient again.

6 minutes ago, cathi007 said:

Hank, any thoughts on Orient Beach? We will be there in Jan and our times are 10am-7pm. We would love to spend the day at Orient again.

We did not go out to Orient on our latest trip so have no first hand knowledge.  The rumor mill is that a few of the vendors have reopened.   It has always been a fabulous beach, although its a place I used to avoid on very windy days.

Hank

Just now, blue_water said:

For your first visit to SXM you probably want to experience the more touristy spots and spend time in town and there is nothing wrong with that and your plan sounds good. We’ve stayed in Great Bay and it is nice there.

To get away from our fellow cruisemates we would taxi or drive to Friar’s Bay, a beautiful, quiet beach with great food options and inexpensive lounge/umbrella options at the Beach Club if open? Otherwise pack a lunch and drinks. But maybe next visit you’ll be looking for something more like that and you can research that then.

Enjoy your first visit!