Shore Excursion Question

Blanq

I waited too long and the snorkel excursion at Harvest Caye, for our late January Riviera cruise is already sold out. I could kick myself  that I waited to book because there is nothing else we are interested in doing at that port, and we are big snorkelers. This is our first Oceania cruise, so not having experience to draw from on this line, am interested to know if there is any chance of a booked excursions becoming available once on board. Anyone have any success with this?

It all depends!  It won't hurt to try.

Have you considered looking for private agencies that set up these tours?  They are usually cheaper, to begin with.  We aren't snorkelers but it seems to me that I've often seen comments from CC members about private snorkeling in this port.  Try doing a seach and see if come up with anything.

Just because the ship's tours are sold out doesn't mean you can go snorkeling with someone else.

Mura

Thanks for your quick reply, Mura. All of our excursions will be independent on this cruise, as they typically have been when we have sailed other lines, with the exception of Harvest Caye. Since that port is a cruise-owned island, we are stuck with purchasing ship excursions.

Our only other option for snorkeling is to take a ferry from Harvest Caye to Placencia for the day and take an excursion from there. We would lose quite a bit of time in transit with that option, and most of the decent snorkeling is about 20 miles offshore from Placencia, adding additional precious time to that option. 

If we can't pick up the snorkel excursion on the ship, we may just take the ferry to Placenica and hang out at some beach bar for the day. I mean, hard to complain, right?! Any option will be better than snow in Minnesota in January! :)

NCL might well give Oceania passengers some benefits considering the relationship between the two lines ...

Blanq, your backup plan sounds good to me! Good luck on finding a cancellation ... if not, it sounds like you'll make do.

Mura

We haven't been to Harvest Caye yet, but I believe there *is* a ferry to the mainland, where you can get independent tours - check out Belize in the ports of call forum here to make sure my memory isn't playing tricks on me!  Here is a link to a thread there with some recent activity about Harvest Caye.

Blanq, would be interested in your impressions - we will be there in March on Marina.

Edited by babysteps