Diamond world club 'free lunch'

smokey01

Hi,

I've just booked a QM2 transatlantic for 2019 after a few years away from Cunard. I see the Diamond benefit of 'A complimentary meal at one of the ship's alternative dining venues.' now states  'Cunard will pay your cover charge and 15% gratuity for the taster menu at lunchtime in The Verandah or in the evening at the Kings Court or The Lido.'

The last time I was on QM2 it was still Todd English and we selected from the normal menu. So what is the taster menu at the Verandah?

In August, it was the normal lunch menu, which has a distinctly beef orientation.

We had one voucher each way, but totally forgot about the first one as we were dining QG. Lunch was okay, but I wouldn't get too excited.

There is a different wine menu.

The service was as good as QG, but obviously the waiters don't know you, or your preferences. 

I certainly wouldn't want to be paying for it.

Stewart

I wonder if I will receive lunch for the two day 'short break' trip from Southampton to Hamburg? My trip is broken into two separate tickets the two day, and then the 10 day westbound T/A from Hamburg. I booked the two day, long after I booked the 10 day, and didn't want to disturb the benefits I got with the ten day. 

14 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

I wonder if I will receive lunch for the two day 'short break' trip from Southampton to Hamburg? My trip is broken into two separate tickets the two day, and then the 10 day westbound T/A from Hamburg. I booked the two day, long after I booked the 10 day, and didn't want to disturb the benefits I got with the ten day. 

No, I don't think you will get that benefit for the two day voyage from Southampton to Hamburg. The Cunard Word Club Diamond level benefits state the complimentary meal at one of the ship's alternative dining venues is "Only available on voyages of six nights or more."

Edited by bluemarble

The website is incorrect when it refers to a 'taster menu' for the Diamond free lunch. It is actually a starter, main course and dessert taken from the standard lunch menu.

And for the person on the 2 day cruise, you don't get any benefits apart from the free internet, all the other benefits are for a week or longer.

Edited by durante

We find the Verandah lunch too much, as we prefer a light lunch. So for the last few cruises have used it on alternate dining in the evening when Aztec, Italian etc are offered. Just hand your voucher to your server. On a world/exotic  voyage  where a voucher is issued each sector this has been great.

Just to add , as well as  either using the Diamond complimentary voucher for lunch in the Verandah or the alternative dining in the evenings  in Kings Court/Lido  ,  one can also use the voucher 'in part exchange  and paying the difference' for Dinner in the Verandah.  

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 4:02 PM, bluemarble said:

No, I don't think you will get that benefit for the two day voyage from Southampton to Hamburg. The Cunard Word Club Diamond level benefits state the complimentary meal at one of the ship's alternative dining venues is "Only available on voyages of six nights or more."

Thanks John, I guess I could spend some time looking at the fine print, but it is so easy to ask here. And recently the Cunard web site at least the US site, has gotten to where there is very little information to be found. Not even a deck plan anymore. 

Hi Bigmike, The deck plan is actually on the US site, but they sure don't make it very easy to find. LOL. From the Cunard homepage, click on 'Our Ships', then click on 'Overview' for the ship you want to view further, then scroll down a bit until you get to the group of square pics outlined in bronze, then click on the bottom right-hand square for 'Deck Plans'. Then have a drink! You've earned it. Cheers, Steve

On 11/1/2018 at 5:32 PM, Bigmike911 said:

Thanks John, I guess I could spend some time looking at the fine print, but it is so easy to ask here. And recently the Cunard web site at least the US site, has gotten to where there is very little information to be found. Not even a deck plan anymore. 

Here is the link for the deck plans
https://www.cunard.com/Documents/2019-deck-plans/QM2-deck-plans-2019.pdf

29 minutes ago, SALAD MUNCHER said:

what if only one of a couple is Diamond? Do they both get a'free' lunch or just the one who is diamond. It doesn't really make any difference to us as we are in QG in December, but just would like to know.

The other half will have to pay for the lunch. This happened when I was travelling with my daughter who was Platinum WC.

2 hours ago, SALAD MUNCHER said:

what if only one of a couple is Diamond? Do they both get a'free' lunch or just the one who is diamond. It doesn't really make any difference to us as we are in QG in December, but just would like to know.

My goodness, a free lunch,  you are  really stretching the  CWC loyalty rewards a weeny bit  toooooo far.  Just make do with a couple of drinks at the Senior Officers party where you are permitted to take along your other half.