Exercise on board Elation

niciediva007

So we are set to sail in 20 days! Eek!

I’m so friggin excited so I am, of course, planning every minute detail. I’d like to avoid taking a full week off of my exercise routine while on vacation. I actually really enjoy working out and the endorphins you get from it are better than any pharmaceutical invented (this from a chemist!) so does anyone know whether there are group exercise classes onboard Elation?

I’d like to avoid paying for a trainer, but aside from classes, that’s the only way I will get a workout or two in. I abhor cardio machines and while I don’t mind to lift, I anticipate that I need the pressure of a group or solo training session to keep me motivated. 

So...any boot camp or Zumba onboard this ship? I don’t mind to pay whatever the fees. It’s got to be less than buying two personal training sessions. 

• Like 1

All the ships have a great gym on the spa deck. Don't let them hassle you about spa access. Everyone is entitled to gym priviliges, just turn your sail n sign card in for a locker key. Dressing area, showers, steam room, sauna. I'd check with them about classes/instructors. I know they're avail but don't know the details. Yah gotta try the elliptical machines, they sit right in the front with a floor to ceiling wall to wall glass overlooking the bow. It's breathtaking when the ships underway. Also, great track outside. You'll get all the exercise you need just exploring the ship.

To answer the OP's question, I think all Carnival ships have some type of exercise classes offered for a fee, whether it's zumba, spinning, etc.  If you visit to the gym/spa after embarkation you should get info on time, type and cost of the class.

12 hours ago, niciediva007 said:

So we are set to sail in 20 days! Eek!

I’m so friggin excited so I am, of course, planning every minute detail. I’d like to avoid taking a full week off of my exercise routine while on vacation. I actually really enjoy working out and the endorphins you get from it are better than any pharmaceutical invented (this from a chemist!) so does anyone know whether there are group exercise classes onboard Elation?

I’d like to avoid paying for a trainer, but aside from classes, that’s the only way I will get a workout or two in. I abhor cardio machines and while I don’t mind to lift, I anticipate that I need the pressure of a group or solo training session to keep me motivated. 

So...any boot camp or Zumba onboard this ship? I don’t mind to pay whatever the fees. It’s got to be less than buying two personal training sessions. 

I have sailed Elation before and always see classes listed when I am in the gym.  I'm set to sail her again this coming Monday, so I will get more details for you and reply when I get back, before you leave.  So short answer, there will be some variety of classes for you.  Delayed, longer answer with details to follow!💪😃

• Thanks 1

I hate missing workouts during a cruise as well, but like you don't care for cardio machines and the free weights are usually busy.

So...just an idea...go to the aft stairs/elevators and take the elevator down to the lowest possible level (Deck 0?).  Now take the stairs to the highest possible deck..start out about 80% effort in hopes you can make it to the top without slowing down.  Take the elevator back down and repeat 5-6 times (or more).  If you do this early, say before 0730, you will likely have the elevators and stairs to yourself on sea days.  A very intense cardio-interval training exercise that doesn't much time at all.  And when done, either head to the gym for a couple sets of push-ups for your upper body and planks for the core...another 10 minutes max.  Overall great workout that is not dependent on any classes, trainers, machines or schedules. I do five trips up the stairs, but that is on dream class which IIRC has 3-4 more decks.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

I hate missing workouts during a cruise as well, but like you don't care for cardio machines and the free weights are usually busy.

So...just an idea...go to the aft stairs/elevators and take the elevator down to the lowest possible level (Deck 0?).  Now take the stairs to the highest possible deck..start out about 80% effort in hopes you can make it to the top without slowing down.  Take the elevator back down and repeat 5-6 times (or more).  If you do this early, say before 0730, you will likely have the elevators and stairs to yourself on sea days.  A very intense cardio-interval training exercise that doesn't much time at all.  And when done, either head to the gym for a couple sets of push-ups for your upper body and planks for the core...another 10 minutes max.  Overall great workout that is not dependent on any classes, trainers, machines or schedules. I do five trips up the stairs, but that is on dream class which IIRC has 3-4 more decks.

Great ideas!! I've been thinking about how to get a good workout in each day and then still have time to get to the excursions.  I'm used to getting up a little after 5 am and hitting Jazzercise at 6 am but I do that after getting to bed much earlier than I prob will on the cruise.  Looking forward to how many steps I can get just exploring the ship!!

8 hours ago, CRocks said:

All the ships have a great gym on the spa deck. Don't let them hassle you about spa access. Everyone is entitled to gym priviliges, just turn your sail n sign card in for a locker key. Dressing area, showers, steam room, sauna. I'd check with them about classes/instructors. I know they're avail but don't know the details. Yah gotta try the elliptical machines, they sit right in the front with a floor to ceiling wall to wall glass overlooking the bow. It's breathtaking when the ships underway. Also, great track outside. You'll get all the exercise you need just exploring the ship.

I think during the dry dock they got rid of the track to make way for some other items/activities.

If I have to jump on a machine, a good view mught compel me, so thanks for mentioning that. 

There’s no way I’d get enough exercise just exploring the ship. That’s no where near enough activity for a person who is active. That’s just breaking even.

7 hours ago, evandbob said:

To answer the OP's question, I think all Carnival ships have some type of exercise classes offered for a fee, whether it's zumba, spinning, etc.  If you visit to the gym/spa after embarkation you should get info on time, type and cost of the class.

I sure hope so! I’m not into spin at all but I’d love a good strength, Zumba, or boot camp class. I wish they’d advertise ahead of time. 

6 hours ago, obx_fintoo said:

I have sailed Elation before and always see classes listed when I am in the gym.  I'm set to sail her again this coming Monday, so I will get more details for you and reply when I get back, before you leave.  So short answer, there will be some variety of classes for you.  Delayed, longer answer with details to follow!💪😃

Thanks so much! Have a great trip! Don’t forget to come back!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Badfinger said:

This is a great idea. The scenery won’t be as monotonous as on a machine (unless it’s overlooking the ocean). I really want to get the workout in before we port so this is not bad should they not have any early class options.

3 hours ago, Crazy4Camping said:

Great ideas!! I've been thinking about how to get a good workout in each day and then still have time to get to the excursions.  I'm used to getting up a little after 5 am and hitting Jazzercise at 6 am but I do that after getting to bed much earlier than I prob will on the cruise.  Looking forward to how many steps I can get just exploring the ship!!

I agree! I need to get my endorphin fix so I can earn all my cheats. That early workout also helps set the tone so that you don’t necessarily overindulge ALL DAY LONG. Keeps the mind in check. Too much progress to lose in one fell swoop. Plus a week off of exercise, plus gluttony, means when I get home I’ll be lazy as all get out. It might take me two more weeks to catch up!

There is still a track, but it is tiny. 

I am am a walker, briskly, and I get up early and walk the outside decks, briskly, before the crowds. You can even mix in some slow jogs in places. Start on lido, go up various decks and stairs, back around etc. make the route up as you go, infinite vairieties. The views and sea breezes make it exhilarating. Before 7 or so you will have these outside decks to yourself pretty much. 

This is does not answer your question of course but you might enjoy to mix this in or if the classes are not what you were looking for. 

1 hour ago, niciediva007 said:

I sure hope so! I’m not into spin at all but I’d love a good strength, Zumba, or boot camp class. I wish they’d advertise ahead of time. 

The classes on Elation are simple. I think there is a yoga, stretching, spin, and maybe at abs class (core). I don't believe there is a boot camp class per se or Zoomba. 

3 hours ago, TrinaLC said:

There is still a track, but it is tiny. 

I am am a walker, briskly, and I get up early and walk the outside decks, briskly, before the crowds. You can even mix in some slow jogs in places. Start on lido, go up various decks and stairs, back around etc. make the route up as you go, infinite vairieties. The views and sea breezes make it exhilarating. Before 7 or so you will have these outside decks to yourself pretty much. 

This is does not answer your question of course but you might enjoy to mix this in or if the classes are not what you were looking for. 

This doesn’t sound so bad at all, actually. 🤩🤩

3 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

The classes on Elation are simple. I think there is a yoga, stretching, spin, and maybe at abs class (core). I don't believe there is a boot camp class per se or Zoomba. 

Aack. I was afraid of this. I work out in a gym all the time. On board I’d rather not have such a monotonous workout.

Thanks for the link. Not a bad setup at all.

Edited by niciediva007

30 minutes ago, riclop said:

Why would you need a trainer? just go to the gym and work out.

People hire trainers for an abundance of reasons. That’s why they exist. Supply and demand. If you’re asking why “I” would personally want a trainer for my cruise, it’s for accountability. Knowing I have an appointment will light a fire under my bottom to get up and be active. A date with myself in the gym is not as motivating. 

2 hours ago, niciediva007 said:

People hire trainers for an abundance of reasons. That’s why they exist. Supply and demand. If you’re asking why “I” would personally want a trainer for my cruise, it’s for accountability. Knowing I have an appointment will light a fire under my bottom to get up and be active. A date with myself in the gym is not as motivating. 

Yeah, ok

16 hours ago, niciediva007 said:

I agree! I need to get my endorphin fix so I can earn all my cheats. That early workout also helps set the tone so that you don’t necessarily overindulge ALL DAY LONG. Keeps the mind in check. Too much progress to lose in one fell swoop. Plus a week off of exercise, plus gluttony, means when I get home I’ll be lazy as all get out. It might take me two more weeks to catch up!

I totally get it! That's why I love Jazzercise, Zumba, etc. that have an instructor telling you what to do and you are surrounded by people that give off this energy and happiness that really get my day going!!  Definitely need to do it so I can earn some cheats too.  First cruise and all I hear about are the desserts.  Gotta earn them!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 5:52 PM, niciediva007 said:

Thanks so much! Have a great trip! Don’t forget to come back!

Back and mostly settled!  We had a great time! Wonderful weather and very relaxing cruise!

As for your question, I didn't see as many classes listed in the gym.  They did a Fab Abs class a couple of mornings and on Cycling class that may be fun for you.  A few other things, but no bootcamp type things, at this on this sailing.   Hope you get your workouts in and have a great cruise!  Come back and let us know how you did!😃

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, obx_fintoo said:

Back and mostly settled!  We had a great time! Wonderful weather and very relaxing cruise!

As for your question, I didn't see as many classes listed in the gym.  They did a Fab Abs class a couple of mornings and on Cycling class that may be fun for you.  A few other things, but no bootcamp type things, at this on this sailing.   Hope you get your workouts in and have a great cruise!  Come back and let us know how you did!😃

Thanks for coming back! I’m glad you had a great trip! Ours sets sail in 4 days!

I think I’ve decided to try to do some tabata workouts in the gym. My husband and I together will feel like a class in a way, since it’s so fast paced, that way we can get the workout in without the monotony of a machine.

Did you sail out of Jax? How did you like the added dry dock features? Which room type did you have? Soooo excited!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, niciediva007 said:

Thanks for coming back! I’m glad you had a great trip! Ours sets sail in 4 days!

I think I’ve decided to try to do some tabata workouts in the gym. My husband and I together will feel like a class in a way, since it’s so fast paced, that way we can get the workout in without the monotony of a machine.

Did you sail out of Jax? How did you like the added dry dock features? Which room type did you have? Soooo excited!

Sounds like you have a good plan!  :classic_cool:

Yes, we have sailed Elation out of Jax, several times, both before and after the dry dock.  We've been very pleased with the upgrades.  Cabins and hallways are much brighter and less dated.  I miss the Mongolian Wok, but really enjoy both Guy's and Blue Iguana.  We were in an ocean view this time, but were on one of the new balconies on August and April.  If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to try and answer.

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2018 at 8:57 AM, CRocks said:

Yah gotta try the elliptical machines, they sit right in the front with a floor to ceiling wall to wall glass overlooking the bow. It's breathtaking when the ships underway. 

I am a terrible person - I don't regularly exercise, I don't go to the gym, etc.  I should, I know.

I just want to sit on one of those elliptical machines with a margarita and watch the ocean go by.

Am I a bad person?  Wait, I already said so: yes.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I am a terrible person - I don't regularly exercise, I don't go to the gym, etc.  I should, I know.

I just want to sit on one of those elliptical machines with a margarita and watch the ocean go by.

Am I a bad person?  Wait, I already said so: yes.

Ha ha. Fortunately, character is not defined by how reliably you visit the gym. I, too, only want to sit musing with a drink in hand, but I will feel like crap should I merely consume all the good food and drinks and not expend any energy. This is my plan; but hey, once vacation mindset kicks it, you never know!