Live Breakaway Repo NYC-NO with crazy start

PelicanBill

Hello from the 3rd day but should have been the 4th day of the Breakaway repositioning cruise from New York to New Orleans.

this won’t be a day by day blog but I do have unlimited Internet and will post comments on topics that we often discuss and happy to take questions and research things as best I can.

We had a super active roll call here And another group-shall-not-named and accounting for overlap more then 500 people communicating and sharing planning info. It’s fantastic!  

I will Start next post with the crazy start story.

• Thanks 2

You may have seen the post last week of the delay of Breakaway returning from Tortola to NYC. Here the continuation!

we all got varying notifications Thursday that our trip would be delayed. Breakaway was already scheduled for a later than usual return docking 9am disembarkation 10am and it took until a week before for NCLto notice and ask that people not arrive until after noon. Lots of confusion about scheduled transportation changing, or not... due to the one way trip many were flying same day in or in hotels the night before.  Advantage: those of us in hotels.

We found Breakaway on AIS early! And got ready. But by 2pm, more news. 

The messages from NCL were sporadic, but we heard from those on Breakaway and we saw the circling outside the harbor.  Breakaway was pressed to assist a cargo ship man overboard. An hour later she broke off to meet the coast guard and evacuate 2 more people (after the incident that delayed her in the first place! )

Messages came out that boarsing would be about 7pm and to drop luggage and return to pier about 6. We sat in the hotel. 

Then Breakaway entered the lower harbor and sat still. For 2 hours. And thr Gem sat in pier 88 for 2 houra past her 3pm sail time. We of course need pier 88 foe Breakaway. Now we get word not to come to terminal until 10pm.  We sat in the hotel lobby with 20 new cruise companions. 

Meanwhile people are arriving at the pier by the hundreds with no place to go. Did I mention there was an allday soaking rain? 

They start housing people inpier 88 (full) pier 90 (full) and pier 92 and handing out numbers for calling peope for check in later. 

7pm Gem sailed and Breakaway heasded upriver. 

8pm the ship was assisted in with tugs. 

8:30 tied up. 

Disembarcation began 9pm.we knew that means we board we after 11pm and spread the word. Many headed to the pier. Too eary. Madhouse. Those arriving have to stand outside and block those getting off.  11pm they begin check in. The numbers thing is a failure. They have to process the people at 88 to clear the way. Platinum and Havens priority is attempted but fails. 

Those of us in nearby hotels watched as nervous people headed over. Too early. Finally we get word at 12:30 the way is clear. 12 of us get up and walk 3 blocks. We walked right to check in and right onto the ship.  Muster was held at 2am. Yikes. Of course only 75% showed up but they did not hold us. Bed 3am.  Woke to engines throttling up to go downriver at 6:23am.  Everyone was out of sorts the rest of the day! The result is we are missing San Juan and get 3 sea days to Tortola. Everyone got $75 per person OBC plus a varying amount which was $144 for our balcony cabin. I think it is fair. 

Thanksto the Holiday Inn Express Midtown  West for being so acommodating! 

• Like 2

Anecdote: NCL was vert inconsistent  with communicarions. Shocking, right? Some got phone calls, soms emails, some in MyNCL but your cruise is deleted on day of departure which NCL seemed to forget. Some called NCL and got completely incorrect information. How unexpected (eye roll) 

when NCL sent a revised itinerary they confused people stating sail time 11:59pm. That put preasure to get to the pier by 9 or 10 for many.  

I kept telling people we cannot sail before 2 and probably later!  And here's why is says 12:59: if later they would have to put sunday's date.... Now THAT would really confuse people! 

Weather: the people arriving had rough seas from the nor'easter.  Sunday and Monday were smooth sailing for us. You could  even sit outside off NJ sunday. Monday was pleasant and you could sit out. Today we have sunny south Florida like weather. Perfect except for  a 10' wave with a 10sec period from the east giving us a noticeable roll some are calling "rough" LOL. No other effects from  Oscar and no tropical formation expected 5 days. 

This is our 4th year in a row on Breakaway. We love the ship enough to return even though weather ruined our last 2 trips. 

The big new thing is Syd's Pour House, replacing Fat Cats.  Several nights there is a Rock 'n Roll house band, joined in second set by performers from Rock of Ages. We had 3 of them dressed like staff employees and someone tried to order drinks from the woman who plays "waitress #1" in the show.  They kicked ass  both sets. My new second favorite entertainment. Sorry Howl at the Moon you are now third! 

2 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

This is our 4th year in a row on Breakaway. We love the ship enough to return even though weather ruined our last 2 trips. 

The big new thing is Syd's Pour House, replacing Fat Cats.  Several nights there is a Rock 'n Roll house band, joined in second set by performers from Rock of Ages. We had 3 of them dressed like staff employees and someone tried to order drinks from the woman who plays "waitress #1" in the show.  They kicked ass  both sets. My new second favorite entertainment. Sorry Howl at the Moon you are now third! 

We just got off the Breakaway.  Syd's has a good band playing there but we miss the Blues.  We like the booths but think it has less seating than before.  The Rock of Ages group that joined the set with the band were great..

Linda

• Like 1

We were on the Gem that came back on 10/27...very rocky seas for the entire trip up to Canada and they got worse as the cruise went on.  Last night was really bad, and I believe we docked about 2-3 hours late.  Getting off the ship was a disaster, and getting thru customs even worse since all the porters left to go out and take care of the new people coming onboard.  Seemed like this all cause a massive snowball effect with the Gem departing late and the Breakaway not arriving to very late.  While NCL's communication has always been lacking, can confirm this was definitely weather related 

• Like 1

Thanks for the updates!  My brother and sis-in-law are on this sailing!  We kept up with the drama from Saturday and we were wondering if passengers were compensated.  We haven't heard from them since Sunday, so hopefully they are enjoying their beverage package and catching up on much needed rest!

• Like 1

Wow, that sounds like a tiring first day!  Glad the weather has gotten much better as you move along!

Since you are so familiar with the Breakaway, could you maybe answer if there is a relatively quiet place to sit in the shade in a lounge chair and watch the waves?  My MIL is going with my DH and I on the Breakaway this December.  It's her first cruise and DH and I always go on the smaller ships so we don't know what to expect.  Thanks!

Looking forward to more...

Melody

• Like 1

1 minute ago, melodyesch said:

Wow, that sounds like a tiring first day!  Glad the weather has gotten much better as you move along!

Since you are so familiar with the Breakaway, could you maybe answer if there is a relatively quiet place to sit in the shade in a lounge chair and watch the waves?  My MIL is going with my DH and I on the Breakaway this December.  It's her first cruise and DH and I always go on the smaller ships so we don't know what to expect.  Thanks!

Melody

The waterfront on the ship is your friend.....it’s incredible on the away class ships..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EMBFlyer said:

Bill,

Can you tell us who the crew is on board?  I'm curious about the Captain.  I know there's supposed to be a change soon.  Thanks.

Captain Matko, Dan Dan, and Vuk are the three I know without finding my card. Will look for it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, melodyesch said:

Melody

Agree with The Waterfront around deck 8. Also Spice H2O during the day and the higher sun decks. 

1 minute ago, PelicanBill said:

Captain Matko, Dan Dan, and Vuk are the three I know without finding my card. Will look for it. 

Thanks, Bill.  Those are the big ones.  No need to worry about the rest.  Do you know if any are scheduled to change between now and the 11/18 cruise?  Thanks again!

11 hours ago, sunshine55 said:

We just got off the Breakaway.  Syd's has a good band playing there but we miss the Blues.  We like the booths but think it has less seating than before.  The Rock of Ages group that joined the set with the band were great..

Linda

Thanks. And Hi Linda! 

1 minute ago, EMBFlyer said:

Thanks, Bill.  Those are the big ones.  No need to worry about the rest.  Do you know if any are scheduled to change between now and the 11/18 cruise?  Thanks again!

I will ask them at the Latitudes cocktail party Saturday. And Vuk I see at the coffee bar every day LOL

• Like 1

So my conversation with Vuk this morning was interesting. I asked if you load twice as much food and supplies for a 2 week cruise than a 1 week cruise. 

Not really, he said. Demand rises at the start and peaks in day 2-3, then gradually falls and flattens out. So the last 7 days is lower average daily consumption than the start. 

But they aill most likely run out of my favorite food lol. 

7 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

I don't like Howl at the Moon as much as I did last time. These players are trying  to entertain with silly songs and gimmicks much more than others who played the music for appreciation more. 

Is Rhonda still there? She ended every set with Whitney's I Wanna Dance With Somebody,  whether anyone requested it or not.  

On the transatlantic, we had an older crowd.  On the first night of HatM, folks acted like it was a concert and clapped in their chairs quietly after each song.  It picked up at the end of the cruise, but definitely not the best players I've seen on Norwegian. 

20 hours ago, AlexandNessa said:

Is Rhonda still there? She ended every set with Whitney's I Wanna Dance With Somebody,  whether anyone requested it or not.  

On the transatlantic, we had an older crowd.  On the first night of HatM, folks acted like it was a concert and clapped in their chairs quietly after each song.  It picked up at the end of the cruise, but definitely not the best players I've seen on Norwegian. 

Yes she is.... Did not end last night with that song but they definitely have some personal silly songs they sing.