Queens Grill Initial Thoughts

geeky13

Hi fellow Cunarders

I’m travelling on Cunard’s Queen Victoria and my husband has created a small video offering his initial thoughts on the service and accommodation offered for those who choose Queens Grill.

Please do watch the video and comment either here or on the YouTube channel.

Here’s the short video ...

• Like 1

This appears to be one of the new aft Penthouses on QV. The layout is preferable to the old mid ship Q4s, which started out as Q5s. The dark wood is more stylish that the old blond wood. The bath is a substantial improvement on the old Penthouses. 

In addition to the Grills lounge and terraces, there is a lovely outdoor dining area on QV and QE which are nice. Too bad QM2 doesn't have an outdoor Grills dining area. 

That being said, in 16 trips in QG, the service and the food has gotten better. After the QM2 refit the Q4,Q5, Q6 and Q7, suites are much more attractive now. The Q1,2,3. basically only got new carpet and some new furniture. They should seriously think about major re-dos to those categories. 

• Like 1

Having sailed on QE last year in a Q6 suite we had a very enjoyable cruise but honestly thought the butler was a complete waste of money as we never really saw him and didnt know what we would use him for so for that reason if we booked again I would save money and book Princess Grill. The cabins are smaller but that isnt a problem for us as we dont usually spend a lot of time in them and the differences in the menus isnt that great to justify extra cost.

On 10/31/2018 at 5:06 PM, Host Hattie said:

Thanks for posting, enjoy the rest of your cruise. Has it been warm enough to use the Courtyard ?

There was opportunity to use the Courtyard - we had a lovely lunch outside. We were served by our usual waiters which we didn’t expect. 

85055A05-2EE6-47C1-81D9-39BB9EAA904F.jpeg

On 11/1/2018 at 10:44 AM, majortom10 said:

Having sailed on QE last year in a Q6 suite we had a very enjoyable cruise but honestly thought the butler was a complete waste of money as we never really saw him and didnt know what we would use him for so for that reason if we booked again I would save money and book Princess Grill. The cabins are smaller but that isnt a problem for us as we dont usually spend a lot of time in them and the differences in the menus isnt that great to justify extra cost.

Our butlers in QG have also been useless but we book more for space and service  than the mediocre food.  We would love to have a butler that is at least as good as on other lines. The test comes again this summer.

We were on QV queens just a few weeks ago. Butler wasn't much use but the cabin was superb. The food was excellent. I don't think we had a bad meal or even a mediocre one. My good lady is diabetic and the guys went out of there way to find sugar free deserts for her. We still had the good weather and managed the courtyard for lunch. One recommendation we would have , as long as you are not vegetarian, is order the Duck L'orange. It will be cooked at your table and is totally fabulous!!

Peter and Jenny

• Like 1

I was on the same cruise as the OP, but in Princess Grill.  I would just add that the dinner menus in PG were excellent, with an extensive a la carte menu, parts of which changed a couple of times during the trip.  Grouse , for instance, featured on just a couple of days.  Also, five of us on the table enquired about having crepes suzette the following night (prepared tableside).  This request had to be referred to the Head Waiter, but happily he consented!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zombatar said:

We were on QV queens just a few weeks ago. Butler wasn't much use but the cabin was superb. The food was excellent. I don't think we had a bad meal or even a mediocre one. My good lady is diabetic and the guys went out of there way to find sugar free deserts for her. We still had the good weather and managed the courtyard for lunch. One recommendation we would have , as long as you are not vegetarian, is order the Duck L'orange. It will be cooked at your table and is totally fabulous!!

Peter and Jenny

Dont think you will find it was cooked at your table the duck was pre prepared because you after order it in advance by lunch time normally. All they do is bring it to your table and finish it off by pouring the orange on to finish off the dish. That is what they did on QE last year it would take too long to cook Whole Duck a la Orange at your table.

8 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Dont think you will find it was cooked at your table the duck was pre prepared because you after order it in advance by lunch time normally. All they do is bring it to your table and finish it off by pouring the orange on to finish off the dish. That is what they did on QE last year it would take too long to cook Whole Duck a la Orange at your table.

Still worth having as is the Dover sole, Crepe suzette, and Baked Alaska mmm!

• Like 1