bottled water package

Dover2018

This will be our 1st time on DCL.  I normally drink water instead of soda.  On previous cruises, I've had desalinated water & hated it. I would much prefer bottled water. We will be doing a 5 night cruise on the Magic from NY to Bermuda next October.  I've heard that you can order a "bottled water package" at the beginning of the cruise. Has anyone ever done this?  If so what was the cost & how much water do you get with the package?  Can only one person in the cabin order it, or does everyone have to get it (similar to the WDW dining plan)?  Can it be ordered in advance?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

The water is obtained either from a municipal source on land, or by "desalination"....it's basically reverse osmosis....they "add back" the minerals that give water it's "taste".  Your body will accept ANY water from pretty much any source.  If you have the ship's water CHILLED, it's great.  All water tastes better when cold.  The "bottled" water comes from a tap somewhere...it's not magically created or anything.

The water we drink today is the same water the dinosaurs drank and died in millions of years ago.  We are creating NOTHING new...we are merely "recycling".

3 hours ago, cb at sea said:

The water is obtained either from a municipal source on land, or by "desalination"....it's basically reverse osmosis....they "add back" the minerals that give water it's "taste".  Your body will accept ANY water from pretty much any source.  If you have the ship's water CHILLED, it's great.  All water tastes better when cold.  The "bottled" water comes from a tap somewhere...it's not magically created or anything.

The water we drink today is the same water the dinosaurs drank and died in millions of years ago.  We are creating NOTHING new...we are merely "recycling".

Unfortunately, yet again you are providing erroneous information.

Ship potable water (drinking water) is provided from multiple sources. Depending on type of cruise, most of the water is produced by desalination, using both evaporators and reverse osmosis. Evaporators are provided power by waste heat from the main engines/generators, while reverse osmosis units are electrically powered. No water is produced in port, with the ship normally > 12mls offshore before desalination process starts.

The evaporators create distilled water, which is slightly acidic, so before storing in the tanks they add a mineral to neutralise the pH, nothing to do with taste. The mineral is probably calcium based. Neutralising the pH prevents damage to the ship's piping. Prior to being stored in the FW tanks they add chlorine to control bacteria.

RO water is forced through a membrane with small holes, which removes the sodium & chlorine, but not all the minerals, so some minerals do remain in the water. Chlorine is also added before being stored in the tanks.

The last source is city water, which is loaded in port using potable water hoses. The volume of shore water frequently varies depending on how port intensive the cruise is and amount of time >12 miles offshore.

Prior to entering the distribution system, all water is monitored to ensure it meets the required standards.

While I was not an Engineering Officer, I believe this is an accurate description of how ship's water is produced. Hopefully Cheng will see this thread to confirm and expand where necessary.

Thanks all for the explanation of how the water is desalinated.  But having had it before on 2 different cruises, I didn't like the taste either time.  I'm still interested in getting the "bottled water" package.  Does anyone have experience with this on the Disney Magic (eg: cost & how much water you get with the package).        any information would be appreciated.

Eve

I'm good with most types of water but if I find an off taste it can often be covered with lemon which you should be able to get from any bar/dining room.  I've also brought liquid concentrate flavor drops (Mio, Crystal Light) and that can help mask an off taste too (or just give a different taste than plain water).

For most cruise lines you pre-order the water package online.  Here is where you can preorder your water package - $9.75 for six or $39 for 24: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/gifts-and-amenities/

Since you are on Disney, a cheaper way to do this is stop through a grocery store on the way to the ship and pickup a case of bottled water.  Disney is one of the few lines that still allows you to bring water onboard in a carryon - non-checked suitcase.  You can also bring 2 bottles of wine each. A lot of people bring a collapsible rolling duffle bag in their carryon just for this purpose. It just needs to fit through the X-ray machine.