Carnival elation rough seas in late February

Crissy_a_w

Hello, I will be traveling on a five day cruise porting out of Jacksonville Florida headed to the Bahamas on February 25 to March 2. I know that the carnival elation is a smaller ship and I was just wondering if anyone else has traveled around this time and experience  rough seas. I am planning on taking motion sickness medication while on board. My room in outside cabin on the riveria deck mid ship. I’ve heard the lower you are, the less you feel the ship. While on the upper decks do you feel the ship a lot? Thank you 

As alluded to in riclop's effusive post, it depends on the weather, both local and elsewhere.  Last March (early in the month), we took a Bahamas cruise out of Port Canaveral.  The local weather was fine.  But the seas had very large swells due to the nor'easters that had hit the Northeast in the previous weeks.  The swells travel down the coast and affect a large part of the Atlantic basin, apparently.

If the weather has been fine along the eastern seaboard for a week or more, and is fine locally when you sail, you will probably be just fine.

Ship location can play a part in how much you feel - the more central, and lower, the less rocking "movement" you should experience.  However, rotation is rotation, regardless of location, so you will still feel a bit of sway wherever you are.

Take seabands and meds just in case, I suppose.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crissy_a_w said:

I am planning on taking motion sickness medication while on board. My room in outside cabin on the riveria deck mid ship. I’ve heard the lower you are, the less you feel the ship. While on the upper decks do you feel the ship a lot? Thank you 

Were you planning on venturing out of this cabin to the show lounge, the comedy club, the buffet or dining rooms on the ship that may be on upper decks forward and aft?

what the weather has been years past is absolutely meaningless. Being a lifelong sailor, every day is a new mystery. Weather.com is not your best weather option, wind guru and weather underground are much more accurate. Check in a week before your cruise and always be prepared.

21 hours ago, Crissy_a_w said:

Hello, I will be traveling on a five day cruise porting out of Jacksonville Florida headed to the Bahamas on February 25 to March 2. I know that the carnival elation is a smaller ship and I was just wondering if anyone else has traveled around this time and experience  rough seas. I am planning on taking motion sickness medication while on board. My room in outside cabin on the riveria deck mid ship. I’ve heard the lower you are, the less you feel the ship. While on the upper decks do you feel the ship a lot? Thank you 

We sailed roughly that time this year from Baltimore to the Bahamas on the Pride (I think mid-sized ship) and did experience rough seas, but as others have mentioned your weather may be totally different.

I was surprised how much we felt the motion on deck 2 & 3, but it was a nor'easter 😉 Also as previously mentioned, you will likely be out of your cabin for large chunks of the day.  I actually enjoy feeling the movement, with the only downside for me being the outer decks are usually closed and the wind makes it hard to use the balcony.

I have worse issues once I'm back on land with the lingering "motion" but Sea Bands help with that sensation.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst 🙂 

Our trip in March had fairly rough seas but didn't bother us.  I didn't take anything and was fine.  My wife had prescription patches just in case and was also fine.  We were on the top Grand Deck and didn't have any issues.  Really enjoyed the trip.  It's just not a question anyone can answer for you.  Weather is impossible to predict that far out.  Tolerance for rough seas varies greatly from person to person.  Also sea sickness varies greatly from person to person.  Take some meds just in case and enjoy yourself.  Don't overthink it. 

• Like 1

Theres usually less storms in February and therefore less chance for rough seas.... with that said... I was on a cruise on a different line in Febeuary and we went through a terrible storm. So bad, the waves were splashing violently on the deck. This goes to say that you never know what may happen with the weather.

Edited by Treyatl2006

sorry, this is not true, in the Caribbean December through March are the roughest seas. They call them the Christmas Winds and it can get rocky really fast.  You might be referring to hurricane season, which generally has the calmest seas in the summer. Your last sentence is spot on. 

What one person has experienced in the past has no bearing on what will happen in the future. With weather, you just never know. But, ships are extremely large and have good stabilizers. I’ve sailed around a hurricane and through a tropical storm. Neither caused anything that was unbearable. At most, we all walked the hallways like we were drunk. Whether we were or not. 😊

Edited by bakersdozen12
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

What one person has experienced in the past has no bearing on what will happen in the future. With weather, you just never know. But, ships are extremely large and have good stabilizers. I’ve sailed around a hurricane and through a tropical storm. Neither caused anything that was unbearable. At most, we all walked the hallways like we were drunk. Whether we were or not. 😊

I think most people understand that weather and experiences can and will vary and the past performance won't guarantee future events, but it can be an indicator.  While weather predictions aren't exact trends can help to make informed decisions.

Be prepared for as much as you can, but don't stress too much about it.  

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:27 AM, AdGuyMG said:

Were you planning on venturing out of this cabin to the show lounge, the comedy club, the buffet or dining rooms on the ship that may be on upper decks forward and aft?

I understood the question/statement to be more about how much the OP may experience ship movement when in the cabin, trying to sleep.  Many folks are ok up and walking about in rough seas, it is the sleeping/lying down bit that gets to them.

Pack remedies to take with you.  Just because one cruiser says "oh, the Rx ear patch is great" doesn't mean it will work for you!  For me, the best is OTC generic Bonine ($3 for a two-cruise supply for all family  members), such  a bargain.  Those bracelets don't do a thing. 

We always book an inside cabin way down stairs.    Choose larger ships - not 60,000 tonne, more like 100,000 tonnes or better.

Happy sailing!

3 hours ago, Out of Iowa said:

Pack remedies to take with you.  Just because one cruiser says "oh, the Rx ear patch is great" doesn't mean it will work for you!  For me, the best is OTC generic Bonine ($3 for a two-cruise supply for all family  members), such  a bargain.  Those bracelets don't do a thing for me

We always book an inside cabin way down stairs.    Choose larger ships - not 60,000 tonne, more like 100,000 tonnes or better.

Happy sailing!

Fixed your post 🙂 

Sea Bands don't work for everyone, but they do for many.  The accu-pressure can be a nice alternative for those who can't/don't use the pharmaceutical options. 

5 hours ago, Out of Iowa said:

Those bracelets don't do a thing. 

As mentioned: for you.

Whether they worked for us last March or were just placebo, I don't know.  But I researched them ahead of time to see if I should bother getting some, and real published scientific studies have shown them to be effective for many people.  Accupressure is a real thing, not just snake oil.

• 1 month later...