A day in Southampton

2Oldpeopleinlove

On my day in Southampton last fall, I opted to take the Southampton walking tour, also called the Titanic trail. I was a vigorous walk, but most enjoyable as you see the city as it was when Titanic sailed, and the original city walls as well. You end up at the Museum which has an excellent Titanic show. The museum is also near the big shopping center, and a Cunard bus will take you back to the ship from there. 

Other tours offered by Cunard (and with the distances involved, be sure to take a Cunard sponsored tour because the ship will not leave with out you) A visit to Windsor Castle, a visit to Stonehenge, a tour to Winchester, and a tour of the New Forrest. Next year I am taking the New Forrest tour, as I have already been to the other places many times. 

I particularly enjoyed the walking tour as we passed out the West Gate that the Pilgrims would have gone through to board their ships to Plymouth and the New World (yes they started in Southampton) My 8th great grandfather Issac Allerton was one of those pilgrims. 

• Like 1

If you prefer paper, here is a link to self-guided walks you can download and/or print.

http://www.discoversouthampton.co.uk/visit/things-to-do/walks-and-tours

I have sort of 2 half days next month (my first Cunard cruise - get goose pimples in anticipation).  As I arrive on a Sunday from overseas, I may only be able to fit in the SeaCity museum.  Next day, before boarding, I wanted to do the old town walk (linked above). 

I read, and enjoyed, the links to earlier posts provided yesterday, but as some are several years old, it helps to have something more current.  The Discover Southampton link should help with that.  It also will provide a calendar of events for your specific dates. 

After disembarking at end of cruise, I plan to go to Salisbury for the day for Stonehenge and the Cathedral then catch the bus on to Heathrow for a flight home the next morning.  Never having visiting UK before, it will all be new to me and Stonehenge (despite being overrated) has been on my personal bucket list for....hmmm....52 years, I calculate.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

Are there any interesting pubs or restaurants that our fellow Cruise Critic folks love visiting in Southampton?

The White Star (pub/restaurant) has long been one of my favourites, in Oxford St Southampton, under five minutes walk from dock gate 4 (walkable from the Ocean Terminal in around ten minutes), look it up online.

Oxford St has a number of restaurants on it (check streetview).

Edited by pepperrn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mef_57 said:

If you prefer paper, here is a link to self-guided walks you can download and/or print.

http://www.discoversouthampton.co.uk/visit/things-to-do/walks-and-tours

I have sort of 2 half days next month (my first Cunard cruise - get goose pimples in anticipation).  As I arrive on a Sunday from overseas, I may only be able to fit in the SeaCity museum.  Next day, before boarding, I wanted to do the old town walk (linked above). 

I read, and enjoyed, the links to earlier posts provided yesterday, but as some are several years old, it helps to have something more current.  The Discover Southampton link should help with that.  It also will provide a calendar of events for your specific dates. 

After disembarking at end of cruise, I plan to go to Salisbury for the day for Stonehenge and the Cathedral then catch the bus on to Heathrow for a flight home the next morning.  Never having visiting UK before, it will all be new to me and Stonehenge (despite being overrated) has been on my personal bucket list for....hmmm....52 years, I calculate.

From my experience, with multiple visits, Stonehenge, is clearly not overrated, nor is Salisbury Cathedral. Be sure to visit the Chapter House, where you can see an original copy of the Magna Carta. Even my cynical older son's eyes got big at Stonehenge, and that is saying something. 

Edited by Bigmike911

5 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

From my experience, with multiple visits, Stonehenge, is clearly not overrated, nor is Salisbury Cathedral. Be sure to visit the Chapter House, where you can see an original copy of the Magna Carta. Even my cynical older son's eyes got big at Stonehenge, and that is saying something. 

Thanks for that positive spin.  I prefer to look at it from the eyes of a 9 year old reared in the 1960's - when it wasn't fenced or surrounded by tourists. At least the latter may be possible given that it will be a late December visit. I'll try squinting to eliminate the fencing. My 'overrated' comment was a little facetious, given the comments on links to some other threads above.  We sure don't have anything like that in North America.....except for the foam replica in Virginia, which doesn't count in my book.... do I am prepared to be awed.

22 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

Thanks for that positive spin.  I prefer to look at it from the eyes of a 9 year old reared in the 1960's - when it wasn't fenced or surrounded by tourists. At least the latter may be possible given that it will be a late December visit. I'll try squinting to eliminate the fencing. My 'overrated' comment was a little facetious, given the comments on links to some other threads above.  We sure don't have anything like that in North America.....except for the foam replica in Virginia, which doesn't count in my book.... do I am prepared to be awed.

The fencing is a low rope (knee level or lower) near the path around to keep visitors from going up to the stones. It is almost unnoticeable. When you stand near the stones, with nothing else visible across the Salisbury plain, you will be awed that ancient people created this with stones quarried more than 100 miles away and without any modern technology, and you will sense the immense importance that the Henge was to them. It is transcendent. 

Edited by Bigmike911
  • Like 1

I live very close to Stonehenge, and the views on a clear day are spectacular of the surrounding countryside, from where the ancient monument is. If you go in December, be prepared to wrap warmly as the site is extremely exposed to the elements (no indoor viewing).

This is certainly a trip to do with Cunard because getting back to Southampton on a timely basis if you DIY, could be an issue.

3 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

Are there any interesting pubs or restaurants that our fellow Cruise Critic folks love visiting in Southampton?

The Duke of Wellington (close to the Holiday Inn) is a very good pub. A had a cracking ribeye when I was there a few months ago for work. 

• Like 1

Southampton is a really lovely city to visit.

For a treat go to the Harbour Hotel, a short walk from the cruise terminal in Ocean Village marina,  the roof bar is spectacular and the food reasonably priced. Other eateries and an art house cinema are close by. Oxford street is the place for a wide selection of restaurants. Shoppers will love the Westgate Centre, all the top names, including John Lewis. Several good supermarkets to stock up on hooch. For the bold I recommend a trip to the Isle of Wight and a visit to Osborne House Queen Victoria’s home, beautifully preserved. Alternatively get the fast train to historic Winchester, and see the amazing cathedral. Do not worry you will not be bored in Southampton. Oh and my favourite a speed boat ride with Sabre Powersports April to October. http://sabermarine.com/ I guess that as one of their skippers then I would say that. Have fun.

FC312988-833B-4D1E-8A7F-712C71450653.jpeg

• Like 1

I appreciate all this information. As we have a week in Shaftesbury this March, we won't need to travel on our QM2 turnaround day. But I will certainly use more local information here.

How long IS that turnaround time? I assume we can disembark early since we have no cabin change or baggage pickup, but what times for getting off and back on are we looking at usually?

8 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

I appreciate all this information. As we have a week in Shaftesbury this March, we won't need to travel on our QM2 turnaround day. But I will certainly use more local information here.

How long IS that turnaround time? I assume we can disembark early since we have no cabin change or baggage pickup, but what times for getting off and back on are we looking at usually?

If you are self disembarking, not going on a Cunard Tour, you can leave early about 8 am. You can come back aboard When boarding begins. You will need to go through security, and as soon as it is manned, you should be able to get back aboard, Noon or a bit after. 

Just now, Bigmike911 said:

If you are self disembarking, not going on a Cunard Tour, you can leave early about 8 am. You can come back aboard When boarding begins. You will need to go through security, and as soon as it is manned, you should be able to get back aboard, Noon or a bit after. 

Thank you! I have to say, as a newspaper restaurant reviewer who has to deal with anonymous commenters on my reviews, I usually don't expect such consistently helpful, polite, friendly responses online! This board is a real pleasure!

• Like 1

I cannot imagine dismissing a whole town as others on the thread have done!    Perhaps if you were docking in a container port but this is a nice small town, very walkable, with museums and quaint pubs.   It also has a well equipped shopping mall if you find you have forgotten anything.    There is plenty to do for 8-12 hours.   In our walks we did not run into any sketchy areas as we have done in larger cities or any of the nasty hawking you receive in some tropical areas.   I also recommend the large book store in the West Quay shopping mall.

FYI, For anyone visiting Southampton from next Thursday 15th the Christmas Festival  (Market!) is on until Christmas. To make it more of a break we decided to have a day in Southampton before our short QV cruise next Friday,  so will be able to visit it. Just hoping we will get a cabin allocation soon!