NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - Revitalized!

eroller

10 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Most reports seem to suggest a problem with the stabilizer, not azipod.

I’ve been reading more and yes it’s the stabilizer that was mentioned not the Azipod, and apparently it might not even be that.  

8 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Again they found a new place to add significantly more cabins, now on deck 11 forward taking away the outer decks and peak-a-view bridge as deck 14 forward cabins have already been added during last dry dock. When will this end? Other cruise lines like Crystal even decrease the amount of cabins to improve quality for guests.

22 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It did on Adventure, but who knows for Navigator.

Can't imagine it can stay. The open deck it was located on will be turned into the balconies for the new cabins. 

The Voyger Class was not made for so many passegners, especially areas like the Windjammer and MDR which will end u with more cues and unsatisifed passengers. Also, there were a few occasions this summer where passengers were literaly denied boarding on the revamped Adventure because the ship reached full capacity and did not have any life boat / evacuation devises available. Not sure if Navigator will have the same or even more cabins then such cases will occur more and more...So overbooking has now also made it to the cruise industry

Been trying to keep up with the Navigator drydock, speculation and now that we have the deck plans and amped announcement, here are a few thoughts:

Things I'm not surprised by:

• Moving DL to in front of Star Lounge - makes sense as they usually close off the Star Lounge for the D,D+ etc. cocktail hour. 
  • Adding more slides instead of the Sky Pad - I literally have not read a single user experience on the Sky Pad, however I'm just wondering if it maybe takes too long to do? By adding more slides, they get more pax to use? OR the more likely is it is cheaper to both add and staff the slides than the Sky Pad.
  • New bars, restaurants, and more cabins

Things I am surprised by:

• Adding some of those cabins to deck 11 forward, moving the gym. As others have said, Voyager/Freedom class has had one of the nicest gyms at sea. 
  • To Dry For dry bar - I wonder how many will actually use this. Remember A Clean Shave or whatever it was for men when it debuted on Freedom class? 
  • Keeping the R Bar - they removed it on Mariner, I suspected because they added the Bamboo Room. Now Navigator has a ton of bars on 4/5! 
  • Only 3 shops - they must have figured out that people don't want a ton of shopping on a short 3/4 day cruise? 

Things I noticed:

• The resort style pool and design element of it - I read some comments about tackiness or Bahamas themed and not staying classy. Well, just google those "Perfect Day CocoCay" renderings and the style is pretty much identical. Seems like they are trying for a seamless transition between the pool deck on the ship and the island itself - you have the updated bar, quick food, resort pool with all the bells and whistles and the slides. 
  • Since Hooked is where Izumi moved to on Mariner, seems safe to say that Izumi won't be getting the hibachi tables.

Questions:

• Someone mentioned El Loco was complimentary on Symphony. Do we think it will be complimentary here too? I know Johnny Rockets hasn't for a long time, but what are the chances it will be? I'm thinking the concept will be similar to Anthem, but they didn't call that one an "Express" and there was a charge. Just think about Carnival's pool decks - they have the Blue Iguana Cantina for Tacos and Guy's Burgers, both complimentary.
  • Did Mariner get any new shows post amp? Seems like the Navigator shows are All Access and Now and Forever. 

9 minutes ago, cot427 said:

Things I am surprised by:

• To Dry For dry bar - I wonder how many will actually use this. Remember A Clean Shave or whatever it was for men when it debuted on Freedom class? 
  • Keeping the R Bar - they removed it on Mariner, I suspected because they added the Bamboo Room. Now Navigator has a ton of bars on 4/5! 

I don't believe Mariner ever had an R Bar. Before her dry dock and while she was in Asia, there was a retail space in that location.

Also not sure about To Dry For. Seems like a weird concept to me. 

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

7 minutes ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

I don't believe Mariner ever had an R Bar. Before her dry dock and while she was in Asia, there was a retail space in that location.

Oh you're right, good call! Yeah, there was a ton of retail on Mariner before. I just assumed they would move the Shore Excursions there with the iPads. Glad to see they kept the bar though!

1 hour ago, cot427 said:

Been trying to keep up with the Navigator drydock, speculation and now that we have the deck plans and amped announcement, here are a few thoughts:

Things I'm not surprised by:

• Adding more slides instead of the Sky Pad - I literally have not read a single user experience on the Sky Pad, however I'm just wondering if it maybe takes too long to do? By adding more slides, they get more pax to use? OR the more likely is it is cheaper to both add and staff the slides than the Sky Pad.

I didn't try it myself but our kids loved SkyPad.  They went on it many times.  Lines did build but we tried to go first thing.  I also noticed on our Independence cruise that you can now book a time via cruise planner so guess they are trying to help with lines.  

Having said that, the different / bigger slides on Navigator look amazing and pool area looks neat (with more room!).  It's nice to have different options with ships that are not all replicas of one another.  We're booked next summer and know our kids will have a blast.

Edited by LuCruise

37 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

I didn't try it myself but our kids loved SkyPad.  They went on it many times.  Lines did build but we tried to go first thing.  I also noticed on our Independence cruise that you can now book a time via cruise planner so guess they are trying to help with lines.  

Having said that, the different / bigger slides on Navigator look amazing and pool area looks neat (with more room!).  It's nice to have different options with ships that are not all replicas of one another.  We're booked next summer and know our kids will have a blast.

I was looking forward to trying it, but just as happy if not more so with the water slides. And I'm loving the pool area. I'm glad I booked one of the 9-nighters before she switches to 3/4 night sailings, so that I get to explore and enjoy to the fullest. That said, I'm sure the kids will love it next summer!

I'm also glad they are not exact replicas. Because that to me shows that they are actually looking at what worked and what didn't on recent drydocks and making changes! 

• Like 2

On 11/1/2018 at 3:27 PM, eroller said:

I'm been looking over the renderings press for the revitalized NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS, which will reenter service out of Miami in late February 2019.  It's really impressive, and even more comprehensive than the refit given sister MARINER OF THE SEAS.  

Here is a link to more information: 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/navigator-of-the-seas

I've also attached some renderings.  

Overall looks great, but there is one big loser in the refurbishment and that is the gym/spa. It's shrinking from two decks with one of those decks having an ocean view, to a much smaller interior space on Deck 12 only with no windows. How they will fit both the spa and gym in that space is beyond me. Obviously the great mens/women's steam/sauna that this ship used to have on Deck 11 is history. It is possible they could be adding new space on Deck 13 that could be the spa, but nothing is shown on the deck plan.  I hope I'm missing something.  

Fitness center is at the back of the ship and still has a view.  I am totally good with that!!

On 11/1/2018 at 6:44 PM, eroller said:

Is that from a Royal Caribbean website, or 3rd party or different country than US?  I've looked at the deck plans on the Royal Caribbean website (all date ranges) and mine doesn't show that.  I even tried different web browsers.  Anyway thanks for posting.  That mystery is solved.  I just knew it could not all fit in that small space.  

It is on Royal's website, you just have to click on the latest dates and it is there.

Goodness, the ship is not even out yet and all the complaints!  I think the new pool area looks amazing, so excited about the colors, style, etc.  Gym still have a view so I am good with that. Cannot wait to get on Navigator in August.  We love the new Mariner so am super excited about the new Navigator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  But then we just plain LOVE to cruise so never sweat the small stuff.  We just love being on the ship and relaxing at the pool or going to a great beach when in port.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Goodness, the ship is not even out yet and all the complaints!  I think the new pool area looks amazing, so excited about the colors, style, etc.  Gym still have a view so I am good with that. Cannot wait to get on Navigator in August.  We love the new Mariner so am super excited about the new Navigator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  But then we just plain LOVE to cruise so never sweat the small stuff.  We just love being on the ship and relaxing at the pool or going to a great beach when in port.  

Completely agree with you.  We have also been on Mariner with refurbishment and have Navigator booked for last week in August.  When are you going?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Completely agree with you.  We have also been on Mariner with refurbishment and have Navigator booked for last week in August.  When are you going?

We are booked on Navigator 8/23, 10/25, 11/15, 12/23, 1/10/2020, 2/7/2020 and 3/6/2020.  So lots booked already and probably a couple more in there somewhere around our 7 night cruises!

5 minutes ago, karena1 said:

We are booked on Navigator 8/23, 10/25, 11/15, 12/23, 1/10/2020, 2/7/2020 and 3/6/2020.  So lots booked already and probably a couple more in there somewhere around our 7 night cruises!

That's amazing so many bookings 😁

We must be the one right after your first one.

16 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

That's amazing so many bookings 😁

We must be the one right after your first one.

yup, about 15 a year, 3 7 night cruises and then the rest either 3 or 4 night cruises.  We live in SWFL so makes it easy. Don't have to fly

On 11/1/2018 at 7:06 PM, firfightergreg said:

I love Navigator and I'm sailing on her in Feb.  Super excited.  

Wait is the Feb 24th sailing the first one out of dry dock?  What are the chances of things being delayed?  

I was wondering the same. We’re on that sailing too! 

• 1 month later...

Just booked on the 7/1 sailing in one of the new JS on Deck 11. Amazed at the size of the balconies listed in the deck description. Each over 400 sq ft+. seems the room will be the new updated decor found on the anthem/oasis class. Sailed on her 10 years ago on our honeymoon on the transatlantic crossing over to europe so now taking the kids on her for the first time.  

So I just got back from a 4 night Bahamas cruise on the newly amped Mariner and I really think Navigator's upgrades will be successful, however, I think a lot of it depends on her staying in the short cruise market, particularly regarding the fitness center relocation -- I always use the fitness center at least 3-4 times on a 7-10 night cruise. Didn't even cross my mind to go in there this time around. Simply too short of a cruise. Also, we never faced any crowds on our cruise, so I don't imagine the extra cabins in place of the fitness center will make much of a difference. I'm hoping this doesn't become a trend on all the amplified ships, though I fear it will. 

The "express" restaurants on the pool deck -- great idea. When I only have a 1-2 pool days, I don't want to go spend an hour at Johnny Rockets and lose my pool chair, but I would definitely walk up to a counter for faster service. El Loco Fresh will also be a nice addition. Again though, I hope the removal of the full JR's doesn't extend to all future amplified ships. 

Jamie's was fantastic. I'm liking the change from Giovanni's. 

Playmakers was popular and the wings were good. 

I still think the pool deck rendering looks ridiculously tacky though. Not really sure what benefit the redesign provides. 

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser
  • Like 1